PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I need a tranny ? answered fast!

lekmedm
12-11-2011, 06:29 PM
OK, so this evening after I got home from a trip, I decided to check my tranny fluid with the engine and tranny hot and running. To my horror, the dipstick was dry except for the very tip! Now, I thought that engine and tranny hot and running was the preferred way to check tranny fluid. When I shut the engine off, if I check after, say, 30 minutes, there is fluid on the dipstick well past the cold mark but not quite up to the hot mark.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I low on fluid? I'm sure I don't have any leaks.

Matt
12-11-2011, 06:35 PM
You weren't doing anything wrong... engine / trans hot & running, cycle through the gears and put it in Park and check the level.

No other issues? Top it off and don't worry about it. I'd put 1/2 quart in first to see where that gets you.

lekmedm
12-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, in another thread I wrote about what I perceive as a droning noise coming from the front when under load. On my way home today I thought maybe it would be worthwhile to check the trans fluid level, just to be sure. I just recently did my 90k service, so there is fresh fluid in the diffs and transfer case. While down under there, I had a look at the trans, and there were no leaks. At the 60k service I dropped the trans pan, replaced both filters and filled with as much fluid as the dealership recommended. I don't recall now if at the time I checked the fill while it was cold or after it was hot.

So upon your recommendation, Matt, I filled at first with 3/4 qt. and took the Jeep for a little 15 minute drive to get up to operating temps. (Holy crap, its 22*F outside right now!) When I returned and checked, the fluid was up to the center of the cold marks. I added another 3/4 qt for a total of 1.5 qt. I'll check the fluid again when I get home from work tomorrow.

Quite honestly, I haven't been having any issues with the trans or shifting at all. I'd also prefer not to, which is why I'm asking for some input.

Thanks, Matt. I'll follow up tomorrow.

Matt
12-12-2011, 02:12 AM
If you didn't check it after it was hot when you did your trans service at 90k, I'm almost positive that's where the lack of fluid is from.

I'm sure you'll be good once its topped off. :)

lekmedm
12-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks, Matt. I feel better now...

Lt_JWS
01-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I know the 06 545RFE Transmission (hemi/4.7) needs to be checked in neutral, the newer ones maybe different, it should say on your dipstick.

lekmedm
01-04-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the tip.

After topping off the tranny I had a chance to have a look underneath again. It turns out the back of the pan was a bit moist. I guess there is a small leak around the seal that just isn't big enough to leave any puddles. Maybe this weekend if it warms up a bit, I'll pull the pan and reseal.