PDA

View Full Version : Front End Noise

hinchcliffe
12-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Starting to get a clunk in the front end over bumps and such as the weather gets colder it seems to get louder. I'm presuming that it is a bushing that hardens a bit with cold. The stabilizer end links were a bit rough so I started there. I was thinking to disconnect the bar and see if it goes away at all? Tried to check for play in the ball joints and don't feel anything out of the ordinary. Anything else to look for?

Its and '06 with 65k miles.

BonesWK
12-27-2011, 07:10 AM
most people start with the sway bar bushings, and end links, and go from there.

Im pretty sure if you disconnect your sway bar and do not get a noise, it is the bushings and/or the end links

Matt
12-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Yup, disconnect the sway bar and test drive.... if the noise goes away i'd replace the bushings and end links if they're all original. Depending on how many miles you have, you may also just want to replace them just for the hell of it; replacing them takes about the same amount of time as disconnecting, test driving, reconnecting.... lol so since they're cheap parts, will eventually fail and are easy to replace, that's an option as well.

BonesWK
12-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Yup, disconnect the sway bar and test drive.... if the noise goes away i'd replace the bushings and end links if they're all original. Depending on how many miles you have, you may also just want to replace them just for the hell of it; replacing them takes about the same amount of time as disconnecting, test driving, reconnecting.... lol so since they're cheap parts, will eventually fail and are easy to replace, that's an option as well.

Hey Matt, do you need to jack the jeep off the ground to change end links?

ItsMeKO3
12-27-2011, 07:50 AM
I'm pretty sure I've got the same thing going on. Its only when going over bumps when the front ends makes a bouncing motion. I'm not very mechanically inclined, this hard to do?

Matt
12-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Hey Matt, do you need to jack the jeep off the ground to change end links?

To just disconnect the end links for a test drive, no you don't need to and its actually easier if the jeep is just parked on level ground (depending on how much lift you have and your waist line anyways..)

But to replace the end links its easier if you just lift the whole front end off the ground so both left & right suspension is dropped; the top part of the link is easier to remove with the tires off.

Matt
12-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I've got the same thing going on. Its only when going over bumps when the front ends makes a bouncing motion. I'm not very mechanically inclined, this hard to do?

It's very easy to do...

This picture shows the bolt removed on the bottom of the sway bar link (where it mounts to the control arm). After that bolts removed, there's just one more bolt on the top side.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/09/20110923114215-1.jpg

hinchcliffe
12-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Had time and ran to a buddies shop today to inspect a bit further, slight movement in the sway bushings but none elsewhere. For the few dollars it is cheap insurance anyway, off to buy the bushings and will report back once installed.

Looking at bushings, seems there are two different diameter bars? 1.29" and 1.34". Don't hav ethe Jeep with me so I can't check right now, but what is the deal?

hinchcliffe
12-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Bought a set of bushings. I have the 34mm bar and the correct bushing mounts. Seems the early WK's ('05-'06) and early '06 XK may have had a different style and need the updated (ribbed for your pleasure) mounts for the "new" style bushings. I'll let you know what happens.

Matt
12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
... didn't see your edit until just now.

Glad you got that figured out.

hinchcliffe
01-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Got the bushings on, of course the upper screw on the first one didn't want to come out or go back in. Tried a few different ways but it would stop and I didn't want to cross thread it. Ran to my shop and grabbed a 1/2-13 tap to clean out the hole, still went in a bit hard, seems like it was cross threaded for the factory (looks like a nut welded on the backside of the frame). Of course after I got that side put back together the otherside took about 5 mintues.

The knock appears to have gone away, we'll see as time goes on though. I'm going to check the bolts again tonight to insure they are torqued down fully.

The bushings I bought where Raybestos (MADE IN USA was on the bushing) from Rockauto and $23 shipped

Matt
01-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Good to hear... lol except for the issue with that one bolt!

criket
01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Cross threading a bolt is just as good as locktite. HAHAHAAHA!!!!! srsly j/k

hinchcliffe
01-02-2012, 02:01 PM
All depends on the angle of cross thread, right? The larger the angle the more stress added and stronger it will weld itself in place unless, of course, it shears off. The key is getting it to the point of no return and no farther......

cprokopf
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I'll be replacing the sway bar bushings on my WK next weekend. I had a similar noise and took it to the mechanic. They told me nothing was wrong......three weeks later the ball joint failed and my entire wheel fell off (and tore the hell out of everything inside the wheel well). I went ahead and replaced the other side ball joints too. Now my front end is making an horrible racket when the front end bounces. I'm hoping its just bushings.

Matt
02-03-2012, 03:02 PM
I'll be replacing the sway bar bushings on my WK next weekend. I had a similar noise and took it to the mechanic. They told me nothing was wrong......three weeks later the ball joint failed and my entire wheel fell off (and tore the hell out of everything inside the wheel well). I went ahead and replaced the other side ball joints too. Now my front end is making an horrible racket when the front end bounces. I'm hoping its just bushings.

if its still there afterwards, post up and we'll help you troubleshoot :)