PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak from behind crank pulley...

07JeepXK
12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
I need some help. A few months back I noticed a slight oil leak coming from the seal right behind the crank pulley. I was under the XK last night and noticed that its getting worse. I priced the seal at the dealer and its going to run me about $11, however they mentioned its a lot of work just to replace that seal. Does anyone have a service manual for an 07 XK with 4.7 liter that can post the instructions so I can look over them before I do it? Thanks

Matt
12-27-2011, 08:59 AM
I'll take a look after my ride today (its supposed to get nasty/rainy here, so its a good day to thumb through a manual..)

07JeepXK
12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks!!!

Matt
12-27-2011, 07:55 PM
My pictures suck.... but basically its not that bad. Just need to pull off the harmonic balancer and replace the seal, but it takes some work getting to the balancer. Also, anytime they list "special tool", they're normally "common" tools that you can buy anywhere.

Matt
12-27-2011, 07:57 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/20111227213805-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/20111227213839-1.jpg

07JeepXK
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks. That doesnt sound to hard but im sort of confused. It mentions removing the a/c compressor and draining the coolant. What is the reason for this. Im leaking oil from that seal. If your just taking off the balancer (crank) pulley and removing the old seal and installing a new one what is the point for doing all that other stuff listed in the instructions. Also it doesnt mention it but wouldnt you have to drain to oil prior to doing this...sooo confused!

EDIT: I've also had the radiator shroud/electrical fan out several times on the XK to clean the mud out of the radiator and none of that was needed to be done to remove it. So i know thats not the reason why the say to remove the a/c compressor.

07JeepXK
01-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I got it all figured out. Went to the dealer and got the seal today. Now just have to find time to install it! Probablly next weekend.

criket
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
COol deal man. I hope it goes smooth. You plan on a write up for this or just get it done? Or is there already a write up out there?

07JeepXK
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
ummmm...im not sure if a write up is really needed. If you look up a few post there are a few pics of the service manual. Im just going to go off that, minus a few steps and get it done. I'll take some pics during the process though and post them here because im doing my bumber mod at the same time. It will look similar to Sal-XK's.

Matt
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Definitely let us know if you find out why they drain the coolant. If the fan/shroud can be removed without disconnecting the upper hose it seems like the majority of the work is circumvented.

07JeepXK
01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Definitely let us know if you find out why they drain the coolant. If the fan/shroud can be removed without disconnecting the upper hose it seems like the majority of the work is circumvented.

I've had the fan/shroud out twice already on the XK to clean the mud out of the back side of the radiator. The upper coolant hose definately needs to be disconnected to get it out. But you only have to remove the end that attaches to the engine. So I take off the clamp and just bend it out of the way. I really haven't lost any coolant besides a few drips doing it that way. So draining the coolant is stupid if you ask me and I wont be doing that. I found out that they want you to unbolt the a/c compressor and move it out of the way to make it easier to get the fan/shroud out. But like I said I've had it out twice and never done that so I wont be touching the a/c compressor either. This job shouldn't take me more then an hour and a half and getting the fan/shroud out is the most time consuming.