PDA

View Full Version : Front & Rear Sway Bar Disconnect Options

Matt
01-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Just realized we don't have a thread here discussing the disconnect options for our rigs. We talk about the benefits, when to disconnect, etc... but for those looking for "where to buy", especially for the rear, the information is hidden in other threads.

So for you guys that have disconnects; post up which ones you have and any reviews.

Front:
JBA: http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-Front_Sway_Bar_Disconnect-737.aspx

Rear:
JKS part #2001 (although not listed for the XK/WK, a few guys here use them): http://www.quadratec.com/products/16160_03.htm

Sal-XK
01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
For the rear the dewalt impact is what I use can't see it getting much easier then that really Matt that's what you use to correct?

Matt
01-02-2012, 10:44 AM
That is what I use as well. But when my rear links need to be replaced I may consider the JKS ones if they're longer than the stock links.

Two other things to consider are that not everyone has cordless tools to take the stock links off and depending on the lift & tire combo it may also be difficult to get that cordless tool in there. We both have the added lift in the rear from the shocks which, at least on mine, gives me a straight shot to the swaybar bolt.

criket
01-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Rusty's part number for the JKS disconnects is PN 2034.

This is what I have for the front

TrialByFire
01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
FYI, the rear JKS discos did adjust enough for use with my 4" SuperLift.

Matt
01-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Rusty's part number for the JKS disconnects is PN 2034.
This is what I have for the front

There's a set of JKS discos that work for the front of our vehicles? Have any pictures?

FYI, the rear JKS discos did adjust enough for use with my 4" SuperLift.

Good to know!!

criket
01-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Here is the only install picture I have. I LOVE my front discos.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/disconnect-1.jpg

Here it is flexed.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/DSCN0895-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/DSCN0896-1.jpg

Matt
01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Very cool. How hard is it to get them off/on and do you get any noise from them? The JBA version come with that clamp that's supposed to compress the bushing; i believe that was needed because our vehicles had a lot of issues with noise if there wasn't about preload..

criket
01-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Very cool. How hard is it to get them off/on and do you get any noise from them? The JBA version come with that clamp that's supposed to compress the bushing; i believe that was needed because our vehicles had a lot of issues with noise if there wasn't about preload..

Yes there was some noise b/c there is a small amount of space between the pin and the A arm plate/sway bar. No preload=slight clunking noise.

It is very easy to get them off. Of course, all you do is pull the pin and slide the link off of the stud. I grease the studs every so often to help with sliding them on and off. It helps a lot to be on level ground (i.e. parking lot).

But I have been running with only 1 link connected for over 7 months now. The other link is off and inside the jeep, lol. I like this a lot better, it rides better, less clunk (not sure if that was the problem in the first place) and when I go offroading, I just air down and go. No more crawling under it pulling off the discos.

EvilJager
01-02-2012, 07:54 PM
I have the jba discos. They came with a washer to get rid of that gap. There's no noise but need a tool to take them on and off. I ended up notching a groove in the easher for the pins. This made it easy to take on and off and still being able to get rid of the noise.

Jba also made rear links. Not discos. And i think he was thinking about making a rear link extender that just bolts on the stock rear link to cut the cost

AJeepZJ
01-03-2012, 06:15 AM
I'll be looking at this more closely when I modify my OME. But I do need a 1-stop-shop for front and rear disco's. I hate mix and matching.

07JeepXK
01-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Here is the only install picture I have. I LOVE my front discos.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/disconnect-1.jpg

Does the pin for the lower end of the disconnect screw into the lower control arm?

Matt
01-03-2012, 06:55 AM
I wonder if the JKS fronts can be modified a bit to work like the JBAs.... probably just need a washer and to modify a c-clamp to squash the lower bushing.

criket
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Does the pin for the lower end of the disconnect screw into the lower control arm?

Yes they do screw in. I used a large Chennel-Lock to screw them in along with some thread locker. The actually screw right in with no modifications.

The top part just threads into that lock nut.

criket
01-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I wonder if the JKS fronts can be modified a bit to work like the JBAs.... probably just need a washer and to modify a c-clamp to squash the lower bushing.

I don't really understand why everyone with the JBA links talks about squashing the bushing. Do the links form JBA not come with the bushings already in the link? The JKS ones that I have came with the bushings in them. All I did was remove the stock link, take the screw studs outta the box, screw them in and slid the JKS links on, slide in the pin and bam, discos.

Matt
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
The JBA links do come with bushings.... that's not the problem.

You squash the bushing on the JBA version everytime you install it on the pin. This makes the bushing "squeeze" the pin and supposedly mitigates the noises (from what I've read).

criket
01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
The JBA links do come with bushings.... that's not the problem.

You squash the bushing on the JBA version everytime you install it on the pin. This makes the bushing "squeeze" the pin and supposedly mitigates the noises (from what I've read).

Oh I got ya now. Yea the JKS ones needs a washer or something to cut down on the noise.

Or just do like me and take one link off permanently.:cool:

Matt
01-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Lol I think ill go with option 3 and just get the JBA version for $30 more, not worry about clunking noises, and keep my sway bar connected on my lifted top-heavy SUV. :)

criket
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
^LOL, yea I don't blame ya. To each their own. BTW, my rear stays connected.

07JeepXK
01-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Yes they do screw in. I used a large Chennel-Lock to screw them in along with some thread locker. The actually screw right in with no modifications.

The top part just threads into that lock nut.

Can I make the assumption that you adjusted them a little longer then the stock sway bar end links to compensate for the lift?

criket
01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Can I make the assumption that you adjusted them a little longer then the stock sway bar end links to compensate for the lift?

No I made them the exact length as stock ones. There's plenty of room to make them whatever length you want. But I did flex test it after I put them in (all the flex pictures I've posted earlier) and nothing hit or even came close. But it's whtever you are comfortable with.

07JeepXK
01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Hmmm...you probablly should have extended them a little to compensate for the lift.

criket
01-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Hmmm...you probablly should have extended them a little to compensate for the lift.

Eh probably. But I haven't had any problems yet.

Matt
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Eh probably. But I haven't had any problems yet.

....it's disconnected

criket
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
....it's disconnected

HAHA, yea so maybe I'm not the one to critique these disconnects, LOL.

Matt
01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
lol that's kind of what i was thinking https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/rotfl-1.gif

Sal-XK
01-04-2012, 04:41 PM
HAHA, yea so maybe I'm not the one to critique these disconnects, LOL.

That was an expensive way to just disconnect the front end one time LOL

criket
01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Well I had them on for 6 months connected. It was a real stiff ride. It felt like my front end didn't have any give whatsoever. I double checked the links for tightness, length, and proper fit and all looked good. Then I read on the other forum that Omelet had been running disconnected for a while without any problems. So I decided to try it for a week. It rode soo much better for me so I kept it that way. It works for me but it might not work for everyone.

EDIT: By the way, I have a lot of chat in this thread. So if you guys want too, you can delete my convos. I fell like I'm hogging this thread.

Sal-XK
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
EDIT: By the way, I have a lot of chat in this thread. So if you guys want too, you can delete my convos. I fell like I'm hogging this thread.

That's what threads on the forum are for bro!

Sal-XK
01-04-2012, 07:22 PM
You got me thinking about trying to run disconnected now LOL

criket
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
You got me thinking about trying to run disconnected now LOL

Just Trails or all the time?

I want to make a statement here. I know I run disconnected all the time but I would feel TERRIBLE if I convinced someone else to do it, and they rolled down the highway and were killed or killed someone else. Yes I run diconnected all the time but I've tested it for several months without problems. I just drive slower. PLEASE use your own judgment on whether to run disconnected all time or just for trails only. I do not encourage it or discourage it. That is all.

Sal-XK
01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Just Trails or all the time?

I want to make a statement here. I know I run disconnected all the time but I would feel TERRIBLE if I convinced someone else to do it, and they rolled down the highway and were killed or killed someone else. Yes I run diconnected all the time but I've tested it for several months without problems. I just drive slower. PLEASE use your own judgment on whether to run disconnected all time or just for trails only. I do not encourage it or discourage it. That is all.

No worries bro I drive like the old man I am very slow. I only speed when speeding is safer then going the speed limit which does happen on these back roads when soldiers are running late for work LOL

valpacer
01-05-2012, 04:11 AM
I havent run any sway bars for 12 months. But having said that im looking at converting a JK rubicon disconnect to a WH swaybar with the EVO Mfg manual conversion. And i will definately run them once we go any higher.

Dave

BonesWK
01-05-2012, 06:14 AM
I havent run any sway bars for 12 months. But having said that im looking at converting a JK rubicon disconnect to a WH swaybar with the EVO Mfg manual conversion. And i will definately run them once we go any higher.

Dave

Man my local shop is an EVO Partner/Vendor. Their stuff is awesome. They have a shop EVo JK its crazy. low range 4x4 - check out their facebook page, awesome stuff.

Ok sorry for the hijack.

Fondy
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM

Dave

I've been thinking about this upgrade as well, good luck man, I am very interested, can't wait to hear how you go.

Matt
06-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Looks like i'll be ordering some JKS disconnects soon...

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/06/20120617160654-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/06/20120617160715-1.jpg

07JeepXK
06-17-2012, 07:32 PM
How did you manage that?

Matt
06-17-2012, 07:40 PM
I guess the bungee method has a major flaw... They must've stretch enough for the links to get cought under the body, then had nowhere to go when the suspension compressed.

Past 3 times it worked flawlessly. Today, they both got busted.

On the bright side i think the OME HD springs + load levelers really make that rear sway bar unnecessary. I honestly could not feel a difference during our 3+ hour drive home. High speeds, sharp turns, etc did not feel any different.... it was nothing like my explorer where the thing would tip like crazy with the rear sway disconnected. I'm in no hurry to buy the new links....

Sal-XK
06-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I've had mine off for awhile now and like you said I can't really feel it missing. Even full loads threw the mountains all was good.

superacerc
06-21-2012, 03:08 AM
I haven't had my rear on for almost two years now. I thought you tried it sal, and it was too soft. Did you change the suspension stiffness on the rear?

Matt
06-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Yeah Sal and I are both running the F150 load levellers. And I'm running the OME HD springs.