PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Promised my daughter I would take her on a section hike this summer. I took her out for an evaluation hike yesterday to see what level her training needed to start at. Good thing we have six months to train LOL she didn't do bad but needs work to hike the 10 miles a day in the mountains required to complete some sections in a decent amount of time. Now the hard part is finding something she can eat out there. I need to put a minimum 2500 calories in her a day on the trail and she's finicky with food. I told her if she can't eat a MRE or a civilian version of it or some type of high calorie trail food she can't go. this part should be interesting LOL

hoaxci5
01-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Good luck! Have you looked at http://www.mountainhouse.com/ meals? They aren't bad and only require boiling water.

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Good luck! Have you looked at http://www.mountainhouse.com/ meals? They aren't bad and only require boiling water.

Thanks for the link I'd hate not to take her because of food. She so picky in what she eats but I know the calorie demands of a long hike and cant risk it. I'll check that link thanks.

hoaxci5
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
REI has a good selection of flavors but are expensive, our NEX and Walmart both carry them also (in the camping area), but don't have as large of selection as REI. All the mountainhouse stuff that I've eaten has been pretty good for what it is.. it's no gourmet meal, but I sure wasn't disappointed.

cico7
01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
In the absence of real food, people will eat anything. So the first couple days might be tough. After that I bet she'll eat.
How far of a section do you plan on hiking? how long? Is there a place we can air drop some beer?

I have done a couple small sections of the trail. Hiking along the Appalacian was one of my life goals.
Not the entire trail, just some of it.

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
We're going to start out with a small section hike around 40 miles or so. In those conditions I cant wait for her to starve to finally eat something LOL. I'll find something and supplement with gels and stuff for calorie boost or something.

AJeepZJ
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I think that's really awesome. I used to camp and do a lot of hiking with my Gramps. When I started college I started hiking every summer in Umstead Park with a group of friends. Amazing de-stressing tool. Umstead Park is in Raleigh and it has some novice trails as well.

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I think that's really awesome. I used to camp and do a lot of hiking with my Gramps. When I started college I started hiking every summer in Umstead Park with a group of friends. Amazing de-stressing tool. Umstead Park is in Raleigh and it has some novice trails as well.

I'm going to use URE as a training area when we get to the over night stuff.

NeilSmith
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
URE would be perfect for starters. Ive camped up on the AT here in Va numerous times but have only hiked a couple of miles of it. Too bad we dont live closer to each other. Im sure I could learn a lot from someone with your background.

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
URE would be perfect for starters. Ive camped up on the AT here in Va numerous times but have only hiked a couple of miles of it. Too bad we dont live closer to each other. Im sure I could learn a lot from someone with your background.

I do have a lot of experience being outside. I have about 5-6 months to get her ready. My goal is to get her to the point that she could do it all on her own before we hit the trail. Hopefully things go well I would like to threw hike the whole thing some day:)

Matt
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
After highschool I did a 3 day backpacking trip on the AT... that was a good time. Never had the time to go back and do another trip like that though, just a few overnighters :(

sean112280
01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
To thru hike the AT is one of my goals as well. Now that I'm on the wrong coast that will have to wait... Lol. I have done some of the NJ/PA part of the trail mostly like 4 day trips. It's always a good time.

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
After highschool I did a 3 day backpacking trip on the AT... that was a good time. Never had the time to go back and do another trip like that though, just a few overnighters :(

When your kids get older you'll get to do that stuff again teach them along the way.

To thru hike the AT is one of my goals as well. Now that I'm on the wrong coast that will have to wait... Lol. I have done some of the NJ/PA part of the trail mostly like 4 day trips. It's always a good time.

You have some pretty spectacular trails in your area.

sean112280
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Yea that's what I hear. I want to go up to the mountain. Haven't been up there yet. It's only like 30 mins away

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Your elevations and weather out there can be dangerous so keep that in mind.

sean112280
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Rgr that. When are you guys planning your trip for?

Sal-XK
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Rgr that. When are you guys planning your trip for?

She's in school till may so after that weather dependent. I won't go till at least the overnight lows are consistently in the 50's or higher I dont like being col LOL

ped4599
01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Hope it all goes well. Some guys I work with have wanted to try a trip like that for a few years but haven't found time we can all go. I assume if your daughter is in high school and fairly athletic she will have no problems falling right in line. Don't for get to pack a small camera to capture the memories, and post up your training progress report here for the all of us in the cheering section.

HueyPilotVN
01-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I can't think of a better couple of guys to have along on a trip like that then Ped and his brother. During this past Camp Commander in Colorado my grandkids rode along with them on a trail one day and white water rafting on another day. They are big guys but more important they are very responsible and I felt very safe having them with the grandkids. Here is a picture of them on the river rafting day.

The Pederson brothers are in the front and my grandkids are in the rear.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/DSC_8727-1.jpg

Sal-XK
01-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Deffidently going to take tons of pictures! The first hike I took her on was short she had a 20lb pack on an we hit a hilly sandy trail at bragg. We kept it short because I fell right into my grove which was almost a run for her force of habit hitting that trail I normally take my guys on LOL I explained to her she needed to speak up about the pace we take we had plenty of time to get her up to speed and it wasn't a race. I'll pay more attention to speed on the next one.

superacerc
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
I hiked about a 50-60 mile section a few years back. Started at the Nantahala Outdoor Center on HWY 19 in NC and ended on the Lookout Mountain Senic HWY in GA (76). Took about 5.5 days. I loved it though. It was mid summer and quite warm on the startout but at the end we had a bad thunderstorm and cold front which brought about some hail and about a 40° temp. You guys will enjoy it for sure.

Sal-XK
01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Got another hike in today. We went 4 miles my daughter had about 14LBS in her pack which is about 50% of what her trail weight will be. She did pretty good it was sandy and hilly so she was tired by the time we got back.

cico7
01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Is Jr getting into any of this? I think it's cool your daughter is interested in hiking the trail...

Sal-XK
01-08-2012, 05:33 AM
No he hasn't gone with us yet but I didn't want to drag him away on a weekend when him and all his friends are outside playing either.

criket
01-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Man, I'd love to do this, hike the trail and camp out for a few days. That would be the cool.

My old preacher rode a bicycle the entire trail. He'd do part of it at a time, not the whole thing at once. Still cool though.

Wish you the best on the trail hike.

Sal-XK
01-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Man, I'd love to do this, hike the trail and camp out for a few days. That would be the cool.

My old preacher rode a bicycle the entire trail. He'd do part of it at a time, not the whole thing at once. Still cool though.

Wish you the best on the trail hike.

Ya it's one of those things people dream about doing. My wife is freaking out a little she thought we were going to hike from hotel to hotel LMAO Silly women she is.

criket
01-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Ya it's one of those things people dream about doing. My wife is freaking out a little she thought we were going to hike from hotel to hotel LMAO Silly women she is.

LOL, hike hotel to hotel, LOL. I did that during Bike Week at Myrtle beach. We won't discuss the activities that it entailed, lol.

Sal-XK
01-08-2012, 07:59 AM
LOL, hike hotel to hotel, LOL. I did that during Bike Week at Myrtle beach. We won't discuss the activities that it entailed, lol.

I can just imagine LOL.

Sal-XK
01-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Hiking 2012-01-15

Author: salxk
Source: on my phone
Activity: hiking
State: NC
Distance 2.6 miles
Duration: 50:26

Hiking 2012-01-16

Author: salxk
Source: on my iPhone
Activity: Hiking
State: North Carolina (NC)
Distance: 3.85
Average Speed: 4.5 kph - 0:13:16/km
Duration: 1:22:27
Difficulty: 5 / 10
Rating: Unrated**

View Online*|*Trip Map*|*Elevation Profile

Carn75
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Hiking the AT is awesome! I did section hikes from Northern Maryland down to Southern Va. for 3 summers in a row until I tore a muscle in my hip at work. That had me sidelined for the past 2 summers,but I hope to pick up where I left off in the summer of 09'.
As far as food goes have you considered dehydrating the things she does eat yourself? After my first AT hike I realized how pricey the food can get,plus if you make all or some of your own you have a wider variety to choose from....
P.S. Homemade jerky is 100x better than store bought!

Sal-XK
01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
She don't eat anything to dehydrate darn kid unless I use Mcnuggets LOL

NeilSmith
01-18-2012, 12:22 PM
She don't eat anything to dehydrate darn kid unless I use Mcnuggets LOL
I know the feeling. I dont understand how they stay alive. When we were kids my brother and I could clean out a refrigerator in no time. LOL

cico7
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Dehydrated mcnuggets....yummmm..

Sal, you need one of these....

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/atposter-1.jpg

Strip Map (http://www.snpbooks.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SNPBOOKS&Product_Code=ATS&Category_Code=ALL)

NeilSmith
02-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Indiana hiker found dead along Appalachian Trail in Virginia was suffocated.
http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Coroner_Indiana_Hiker_Found_in_Va_Was_Suffocated_1 39152064.html

Sal-XK
02-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Indiana hiker found dead along Appalachian Trail in Virginia was suffocated.
http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Coroner_Indiana_Hiker_Found_in_Va_Was_Suffocated_1 39152064.html

I remember reading about that awhile back. Now we know how he died just need to what did it now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NeilSmith
02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
there have been a number of murders happen up there since we were teens. and college kids still go up there alone. people will never learn nor believe that bad things can happen to you if you're out in the forest by yourself.

Sal-XK
02-13-2012, 05:44 PM
I guess they were looking to question two other hikers on the trail that were causing problems I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

criket
02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I hear banjo music......