PDA

View Full Version : CB and Antenna's

AJeepZJ
01-17-2012, 07:24 PM
First off, I'd like to acknowledge Sal for taking the time to talk to a very frustrated and angry AJ on the phone, lol. (When I'm angry my mind just shuts down, lol)

I know it sounds so cliche to say that 'We learn something new everyday' but today I really did. I'd like to dedicate this thread to everything CB and Antenna related. Pics, and of course, trials and tribulations are much appreciated. I'm hoping that this will significantly help those in the future in making decisions for there CB and Antenna selection - and ultimately avoid what I am having to do now.

In-depth analysis of CB, Antenna and installation related topics can probably be thrown in respective build threads and or a general "HOW-TO" article.

There are several companies producing Antenna's, CB, and various mounting techniques.

Anyway, last week I ordered what I thought was a complete product (including everything I needed). This was not the case. I got to my Jeep, installed my 4xG Antenna mount - and then I grabbed my Firestik antenna and I immediately knew... I do not have everything I need. Much to my dismay, there were a few things I needed in order to install this.

Firestik Stud With Screw-On Coaxial Termination for Antenna Mirror Mounts - Firestik K-4A
FireStik K-8A 18 foot single antenna coax cable
Firestik 3 Inch Spring Shock - Firestik SS-3H

Some other general resources:
Firestik's website
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Right Channel Radio - (Recommended to me by Sal - Amazing information on everything you'd like to know about CB's and Antenna's.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/

For the Majority of us using 4xG antenna mounts or Sag4x4 mount - these kits on this site do not include the Stud mount needed to keep the Antenna in place on our mounting platform. Depending on the terminal end you are using to hook the coax cable to the antenna you might need the K-4 or the K-4A stud mount.

The difference between these two is that one is for a fire-ring the other is for a screw on coax terminal cable.

I welcome everyone's contribution in terms of what CB, Antenna, and Antenna mount, and location of said items are installed. Links of brands and etc are cool, and just you general opinion of the products.

Currently I use a CB from Radio Shack (will probably upgrade this) with a magnetized antenna up top.
I have already installed my 4xG antenna mount, and I'm in the process of switching over to the Firestik configuration.

Thanks again for your help, Sal!

Sal-XK
01-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I think most people just assume the cb stuff is self explanatory, but to those who have always used magnet type systems changing over its not.

cico7
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
AJ,if it works, don't fret it. Many of the radio shacks are built by name brand companies.

...Currently I use a CB from Radio Shack (will probably upgrade this)
with a magnetized antenna up top. .....Thanks again for your help, Sal!

Sal-XK
01-18-2012, 03:44 AM
4 watts is the max legal transmit power you can have. So all radios will have the same range the differences are in the bling the radio has like weather band or back light and fancy tune options.

cico7
01-18-2012, 05:30 AM
And you can tune any of them for better performance. Search your radio on line and
you can fine tune it.

4 watts is the max legal transmit power you can have. So all radios will have the same range the differences are in the bling the radio has like weather band or back light and fancy tune options.

AJeepZJ
01-18-2012, 05:41 AM
The CB itself really isn't the problem - The Antenna was the problem. It had a magnetized mount, which I placed, centered, on the rear of the vehicle. Problem with this is that it keeps getting knocked off the roof every time I go under a branch or sign or whatever. The Antenna is what is currently replaced - soon as all the parts show up.

NeilSmith
01-18-2012, 06:41 AM
The CB itself really isn't the problem - The Antenna was the problem. It had a magnetized mount, which I placed, centered, on the rear of the vehicle. Problem with this is that it keeps getting knocked off the roof every time I go under a branch or sign or whatever. The Antenna is what is currently replaced - soon as all the parts show up.
I had the same issue with my magnetic mount. Then my radio started squealing. Sal and I screwed around with my radio for a couple of hours, it seems, only to decide that the problem was the antenna. I got me a Firestick and problem was solved.

BonesWK
01-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Thanks AJ - this was very insightful. I know a CB is in my future plans at some point and I am one of the guys who thinks A CB+Antenna+Mount+Cable should be all set.

Looks like I am wrong - great post for noobs like me.

Sal-XK
01-18-2012, 07:31 AM
The link for the right channel radio AJ posted is a wealth of information. You can probably learn everything you need to know from that site and the prices and customer service is pretty good as well.

criket
01-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Yea I've had a few different CB's in the past. I REALLY miss my Cobra Nightwatch that I had a few years ago. It light up at night, had the weather band, echo, and bunch of other stuff. CUrrently I'm running the Wal-Mart Cobra b/c it's in the cubby hole thing.

I recently installed an external speaker under the seat and it turned out great. I can hear so much better and actually I can hear it well riding at 50 mph with the windows down. It's a Radioshack external speaker.

When I had the Cobra Nightwatch in my Toyota truck, I installed a Linear. For you guys that don't kow what that is, it's a box that increases the power output by like 10X. So I could ride down the road in North Carolina and talk to people in Georgia, LOL. At night it went as far as Mississippi and Winsconson!!!! People could hear me through thier TV and radio as I passed thier house. It was cool.

jantrit
01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Any chance of getting some pictures of where you installed your CB?

Sal-XK
01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Any chance of getting some pictures of where you installed your CB?

We have a thread for that :) http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/46-New-Here-Check-out-Interior-Modifications?highlight=radios

lekmedm
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
I'd like to add to this discussion, that your choice of antenna and cable will be dertermined by your mount. If your mount is screwed in to metal, then you can use a ground plane antenna. However, some guys may attach their antenna mount to a roof rack that's isolated from the truck with rubber. In this case, you need a non-ground plane antenna. That's for antennas that are not directly grounded to the vehicle.

I just wanted to point this out. For more info, Google is your friend.

:cool:

cico7
01-31-2012, 07:54 PM
thanks jeep.....send him off on search...
We have a thread for that :) http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/46-New-Here-Check-out-Interior-Modifications?highlight=radios

NeilSmith
02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sal-XK
02-01-2012, 02:22 PM

That thread is full of pics of installed cb's. I'm no search nazi :p and one more :p LOL You to Neil :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NeilSmith
02-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Hey, Im just an innocent bystander. :)

Sal-XK
02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Hey, Im just an innocent bystander. :)

:p LOL

cico7
02-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Sal the search nazi :p and an LOL :p back at SNS (Search Nazi Sal :p )

That thread is full of pics of installed cb's. I'm no search nazi :p and one more :p LOL You to Neil :p

BonesWK
03-20-2012, 05:20 AM
I have a question, AJ I saw you said you ran the magnetic antenna for a while... does anyone recommend a certain antenna over another? Im looking to get a CB in the future (not sure when) but a magnet antenna saves on cost a bit. And looks a bit easier, yes im lazy

Sal-XK
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
The magnet ones work ok for the trails when you can keep them on the Jeep. The problem with them is people knock them over with trees or really hard side to side off road.

NeilSmith
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
my magnetic antenna caused all kinds of problems, the least of which being it always got knocked off by tree branches

Matt
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Do magnet antennas really save money? You still have to run the cable; i'd think the only difference is a mounting bracket?

BonesWK
03-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Do magnet antennas really save money? You still have to run the cable; i'd think the only difference is a mounting bracket?

Hmm this is not the feedback I was hoping for! haha, but its all encouraged. looks like I wont even bother with a magnet antenna

Form what I have seen - a magnet antenna is all inclusive. It comes with cable and you basically just plug and play. So no Mounting/spring/antenna/Cable.

It looks like I may have to just do it the RIGHT way and go the route of external antenna and mount.

Matt
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
In either mount you have to run cable. The spring is a $3 spring that just threads in between the antenna and mount. So really the only difference is "mounting" it.

They make standard mounts for roof racks too, so it wouldn't be difficult at all- technically plug and play.

I would recommend, regardless which route you go, to tune the antenna

BonesWK
03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
agreed.

I was basically saying with the magnet all of those items are included in one cost, I know i have to run cable etc. Just with firestik you have to buy all those components separate.

Matt
03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Oh i got ya.

Sal-XK
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Fires stick sells them in kits all together check the parts link page for some good links and info. I also went the cheap easy route and used a window mount antenna :( never worked right and just made me mad LOL

AJeepZJ
03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
I have a question, AJ I saw you said you ran the magnetic antenna for a while... does anyone recommend a certain antenna over another? Im looking to get a CB in the future (not sure when) but a magnet antenna saves on cost a bit. And looks a bit easier, yes im lazy

Yeah I started with the magnetic setup, but it kept getting knocked of in places where I was wheeling (at LEAST once). I started just lay it down so it was not upright. Obviuosly that defeats the purpose of a CB, so I figured it was just time for a different set up.