PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plates

Carn75
01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Does any one brand offer that much more protection than the other to justify the price difference? I was checking out the Mopar skids on jp's site,and comparing them to some of the name brand companies,but really couldnt come up with a final answer. Whats your thoughts and opinions?

Matt
01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
There really isn't much overlap.

I'm running the 3 mopar skids + 4XG front guard & belly guard

Those 5 pieces provide the best protection at a reasonable cost IMO.

Add on the S.A. sliders and the 4XG diff guard and you'll be set for pretty much any trail we'd attempt at RC!

If you'd rather have the 4XG sliders let me know.... may be able to work something out. :)

Carn75
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Thats the answer I was hoping to hear...some the name brands were getting quite pricey! Sounds good about the sliders....1) Lift/tires/wheels
2) Armor under belly
3) Hit the trails!
My short term bucket list...:)

AJeepZJ
01-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm like this with most stuff, but when I find a brand I like, that has not let me down- I stick with it. This applies to TV's, Vehicles, Computers... and in the case . But every once in a while something comes a long that, is without question, an incredible product. Kinda makes me forget about brand loyalty.

brendon
01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Thats the answer I was hoping to hear...some the name brands were getting quite pricey! Sounds good about the sliders....1) Lift/tires/wheels
2) Armor under belly
3) Hit the trails!
My short term bucket list...:)

I would swap your 1 and 2 - armor first! Even having a lift, I still bang the bottom (sometimes really hard).

Holaday07 4.7
01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
I would swap your 1 and 2 - armor first! Even having a lift, I still bang the bottom (sometimes really hard).

Nah I still dont have the belly guard lol. If your careful you can make it work

AJeepZJ
01-20-2012, 09:23 AM
As much as I love my lift and tires - If I could do it all over again, I would have done the skid plates before I had my navigation installed - That purchase alone was worth an assortment of skid plates, lol.

DetroitMarauder
01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I ordered the OEM transfer case and front suspension skid plates earlier this week. I'm just waiting to go pick them up.

LWM
01-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I need a OEM fuel tank skid plate, so if anyone upgrades I will pay shipping for the one you take off!

Holaday07 4.7
01-20-2012, 02:36 PM
I ordered the OEM transfer case and front suspension skid plates earlier this week. I'm just waiting to go pick them up.

If I am correct you have to have a gas tank stid in order to install the tcase skid. Sal will know, hopefully he will poke his head in

DetroitMarauder
01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
If I am correct you have to have a gas tank stid in order to install the tcase skid. Sal will know, hopefully he will poke his head in

I know they share a bolt(s) but nothing I have read states you need one to have the other. I could be wrong though.

Sal-XK
01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
You need the upgraded fuel tank skid to mount the OEM TC skid. Or you can go get a saguaro TC skid and mounting bracket. So if your ordering the OEM skids then you wouldn't have the correct fuel tank skid so your TC skid won't work so need to order the fuel tank skid as well.

LWM
01-20-2012, 03:18 PM
I test fitted the ASFIR skid today and it comes with the mounting bracket (I did not need it since I have the aftermarket fuel tank skid), they did not let me keep the bracket. I can add it to my list of projects if you cannot find one someplace.

Sal-XK
01-20-2012, 03:21 PM
I test fitted the ASFIR skid today and it comes with the mounting bracket (I did not need it since I have the aftermarket fuel tank skid), they did not let me keep the bracket. I can add it to my list of projects if you cannot find one someplace.

So how was the skid?

LWM
01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
So how was the skid?

I will reply in the ASFIR thread when my daughter gives me my camera patch cord.

06blkhemi
01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I will not buy the oem gas tank skid! I would buy the saguaro or the asfir so I won't have to drop the tank! The asfir front skid looks nice too! But I just bought the stock front one for now!

DetroitMarauder
01-20-2012, 04:36 PM
You need the upgraded fuel tank skid to mount the OEM TC skid. Or you can go get a saguaro TC skid and mounting bracket. So if your ordering the OEM skids then you wouldn't have the correct fuel tank skid so your TC skid won't work so need to order the fuel tank skid as well.

Damn it. Now I have to spend another $200. At least I have until the spring to get it.

Sal-XK
01-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Damn it. Now I have to spend another $200. At least I have until the spring to get it.

Well the TC and Fuel tank arent that much cheaper then the aftermarket setups and you don't have to drop the tank PITA. Also the OEM skids are pretty crappy IMO as well. I'll be dumping my skids this next summer I'm sure I don't think they can take another full season of wheeling

DetroitMarauder
01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Well the TC and Fuel tank arent that much cheaper then the aftermarket setups and you don't have to drop the tank PITA. Also the OEM skids are pretty crappy IMO as well. I'll be dumping my skids this next summer I'm sure I don't think they can take another full season of wheeling

I've already paid for the two others so it's too late. They should be good though, I probably won't do as much wheeling as you.

Matt
01-20-2012, 05:11 PM
I will not buy the oem gas tank skid! I would buy the saguaro or the asfir so I won't have to drop the tank! The asfir front skid looks nice too! But I just bought the stock front one for now!

Its not that hard man. I can help ya. Did it myself with half tank of gas.

Sal-XK
01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Its not that hard man. I can help ya. Did it myself with half tank of gas.

We have the how to threads done already and the thread on modding the new fuel tank as well.

Fuel tank install

F (http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/727-Fuel-Tank-Skid-Install?highlight=fuel+tank)uel tank mod (http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/810-Fuel-Tank-Install-2-Modified-for-Flex)

AJeepZJ
01-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the ASFIR front suspension and i guess belly skid (because it reaches pretty far down the middle... misses some of the crucial belly components that need protection - Can anyone confirm that? You Jon?

Just in looking at the pictures, granted the skids look fantastic. They look VERY well designed, but I could clearly see a converter clearly exposed.

LWM
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the ASFIR front suspension and i guess belly skid (because it reaches pretty far down the middle... misses some of the crucial belly components that need protection - Can anyone confirm that? You Jon?

Just in looking at the pictures, granted the skids look fantastic. They look VERY well designed, but I could clearly see a converter clearly exposed.

You are 100% correct, the belly skid does NOT cover the catalytic converter, I pointed this out today and they are going to work on fixing that concern if possible. I currently have the ASFIR belly plate on my XK but I will put the 4xG back on if the area cannot be protected.

Matt
01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah, from what i've seen the Asfir skid does not fully protect the cats. From the other thread it looks like they're going to look into fixing that though....

Currently, 4XG bellyguard is still the way to go.

Edit: Ninja Jon beat me to it...

Omelet
01-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Saguaro makes an adapter so you can instal either their t-case skid or the Mopar skid without having the gas tank skid. However if you are armoring up, why not get the gas tank skid!

Matt
01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Saguaro makes an adapter so you can instal either their t-case skid or the Mopar skid without having the gas tank skid. However if you are armoring up, why not get the gas tank skid!

Exactly! Especially since the price of the adapter is just about as much as the upgrade gas tank skid. A few hours of work on a nice warm spring/summer day with some basic tools and you're set :cool:

(plus, then you have the experience so you can change your own fuel pump if/when it goes on you lol

criket
01-21-2012, 08:20 AM
Exactly! Especially since the price of the adapter is just about as much as the upgrade gas tank skid. A few hours of work on a nice warm spring/summer day with some basic tools and you're set :cool:

(plus, then you have the experience so you can change your own fuel pump if/when it goes on you lol

Yea I can see getting that experience. I have a feeling that if my fuel pump ever goes out, I'll prob look into an external pump. Save me from dropping that bad boy gas tank down more than I have too.

AJeepZJ
01-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Gas tank and xcase skid will have to wait for me. I've been doing a lot of research on a viable xcase that I can use to swap into my WK. That said, once I know the xcase I'm going with and an idea on how it can be installed, I can see if the current available xcase skids are a working option.

Holiday Jones
03-02-2015, 05:20 PM
So, with "under armour", is the factory stuff I have now worthless? I'm know there's skids under the engine, and i think around the gas tank, but it seems kinda...plastic.lol

Sal-XK
03-02-2015, 06:25 PM
So, with "under armour", is the factory stuff I have now worthless? I'm know there's skids under the engine, and i think around the gas tank, but it seems kinda...plastic.lol

That engine skid is just a plastic cover. The fuel tank one is steel though but its the wrong one for attaching the stock transfer case skid. You will need an extra bracket or a new fuel tank skid that has the mounting holes. If you want OEM skids I recommend this place Jparts (http://jparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1494&osCsid=k72e72f9imdog1ve60snt391h0) Their prices are good and they seem to have them in stock unlike most dealers. It is an actual Jeep dealer I got my skids from them and so have a few other people. Of course for after market you have the steel armadillo and 4xGuard stuff. On my first build I just got the RC spacers and spent the rest on skid plates. The armor allowed me to have a great time worry free on the trails. I would recommend wheeling full armor with no lift over any lift with no armor.

Sal-XK
03-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Huhm....that's not something you hear everyday, but makes a lot more sense. I'm glad you guys have already been through all this; should be able to save myself some time,$$$, and aspirin.lol :)

Armor isn't a sexy upgrade like lift and tires LOL but to many people get lift and tires with no thought to armor which is useless with out armor. This video is one of my first trips off road with just the RC lift OEM skids. I still have the stock running boards on LOL You can hear me dragging the plates on the rock. If I didn't have the skids my TC might of been shot. They were all laughing at the end because the wranglers before me had a hell of a time getting up that and I kinda just walked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NkIUnaujUo

Ross still had some 4x armour for sale...man, it's really starting now #projectemptywallet

If you can get the stuff used and save some money go for it. The only issue like I said is needing the bracket because of your fuel tank. If you get 4xG skids they make the same bracket for their skids as well to work with your fuel tank skid.

coophadley
03-03-2015, 11:04 PM
a fuel tank skid comes on the OEM skid plates right? I have all the OEM ones. Im guessing i still need rear guard, my custom steel bumpers kinda have a front guard, and a belly guard? sorry if im throwing your thread off topic Holiday

Holiday Jones
03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Naw bud, I'm thinking about all the same stuff

Sal-XK
03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Holiday I know this discussion has taken up a lot of space in your garage thread. I can easily move all these posts to another thread just let me know.

I might not be explaining this properly. Their are two fuel tank skids both are steel. The standard one most people have is missing the mounting holes to bolt on the transfer case skid.

Look at this fuel tank skid on the left hand side you can see two holes. That is where the other skids are bolted to. Most XK's don't have this skid from the factory. If you have all the OEM skids you have this one.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2015/03/100_4422JPG-1.jpg

In this pick you can see all three OEM skids bolted to the Jeep.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/safetyImg01-1.jpg

Holiday Jones
03-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I don't have the TC cover. But that last pics I'd what I had been wanting. I couldn't picture how they went on.
And if there's another thread similar we can go to, let's do it. If not, maybe we should make one called common sense mods.

Sal-XK
03-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Holiday, Your garage thread is all cleaned up!

Holiday Jones
03-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Sweet.