PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two XK's.....maybe

jantrit
01-24-2012, 06:31 PM
tl;dr - I'm debating trading off my Mini for a used XK...the problem: I think my man card is gone with this one because my wife already drives an XK.

Hello all,

A tale of two XK's...maybe. I started jeeping about 10 years back with a 1980 CJ-7 and had it for a number of years before I sold it and bought a Mini Cooper....yes, yes, laugh it up. The real amusing bit is that about a year later my wife sold her Dodge Ram (ok yeah I drove a mini and my wife drove a truck....lets move on) and she bought a used 4.7 Commander to cart around the kids that we didn't have (yet) and we still have her XK. She swears that when it dies she'll be digging through the local junkyards to resurrect the beast. After watching her drive her Dodge into the ground (we got a $1000 for the trade in out of sympathy) I hope it stays running strong for a long while. For those keeping track of these things, that leaves my wife in the V8 XK and me in the R53. :o

Seven years and 100K miles on the Mini later, and its time for something new(er) well sort of. I miss the CJ-7 except the raining inside the jeep with the hard top on, oh and the spending each weekend fixing the next thing that broke, oh and the I'll just change this light bulb only to have the wire break and then while replacing the wire somehow ending up having to replace a motor mount. OK that last part is a stretch but lets face it, old jeep repairs are ALWAYS an adventure and generally lead to heavy drinking. Even with all of that, I sort of miss the old jeep. Though the Jeep was a PITA sometimes at least you could work on it or find someone to work on it.

I am facing a conundrum. Do I go for an XK or a WK to replace the Mini? I've never really been in love with Grand Cherokee's because they always felt too car like for me. Intellectually I know they are quite capable four wheel drive machines (except those 2WD monstrosities) but they just never felt like it to me. The upright front window on the XK really gives it a different feel. I drove a 4 door JK last week and it just didn't really feel like a daily driver to me. The local dealership has a couple used XK's at an out of town location and I'm having one brought in to look at. To be honest it has everything I'm looking for in either a WK or XK.

So there you have it. Am I completely doomed? Is my man card gone forever now that I'm contemplating "his" and "hers" XK's in the driveway? :eek: What do you think? Go for the XK? Look for a WK?

Thoughts? flames?

Matt
01-24-2012, 06:35 PM
"His" & "Hers" XK's sound like a sweet setup.

I say go for it! :)

superacerc
01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't think any of us consider our XK's non manly. Have you seen the pictures of most of the member's on this site? We have people asking us all the time what we are driving cause they think they've never seen one. Just Lift it, put on some spacers and M/T tires and it's a heck of a sweet off road vehicle that works well as a daily driver. Go look in our photos and trails pictures. People with Wranglers are always dropping their jaws when they see some of the stuff we do with our so called non manly jeeps.

I second matt's reply, Go for it. Couldn't have a more comfortable off roader thats this capable.

If you have a choice go for the 5.7. The gas milage difference is nearly negligible for the extra power and better offroad system. I would have definitely done that had I known when I bought my 4.7.

Matt
01-24-2012, 06:52 PM
The ironic part is we're going to eventually get my wife a TJ.. then when the kids are old enough (1 boy and 1 girl) we can do family offroad trips; the Commander will be the "his" and the TJ will be the "hers".

Sal-XK
01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm sure any of us would love a second XK LOL since you own one I'm assuming you know what your looking for as far as options and drive systems. Decide what you want out of the jeep then make sure you get the appropriate options to get what you want out of it

cico7
01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
it isnt the XK that questions your manhood. You brought it here! That is what i have trouble with.
Wait, my wife's calling. I gotta do dishes.
I will come back and discuss my manly XK after I take out the trash.

Matt
01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Is this un-manly??? it has a jeep on it....

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

superacerc
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Is this un-manly??? it has a jeep on it....

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Ummm..... Yeah it is unmanly. Men don't need aprons. Aprons are for people afraid to get dirty...hehe

jantrit
01-24-2012, 09:54 PM
We've got our eye on an 06 Limited with the 5.7L and QD-II. I've caught more $hit over the years for my Mini Cooper. Especially when my wife would roll up in her Dodge 1500 Sport. Her commander is her new baby. I'm afraid to touch the damn thing for fear that should something break on it and I was the last one to wash the windshield it would somehow be my fault and I'd be in the dog house :-P

In all seriousness though, I do like the XK's and after looking at all the Jeep products out there I keep getting pulled back to a commander. I think it is the way you sit in them that just feels more upright than a WK and they have more creature comforts than a wrangler. Also the space inside is nice for all my kite boarding gear, kids stuff etc. I looked at a liberty but if I'm going to get mediocre gas mileage anyway, I might as well be getting mediocre gas mileage in something with room and 8 cylinders. :-P

cico7
01-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Doesnt matter how you got here, you are here and welcome to the club.
I believe all of us enjoy off road side of life, not mall crawlers. The
Commander is very capable and I enjoy mine on the streets and on a
trail. I am in the same boat you are, my wife has a new Grand and I
cant touch it. Sal fell off his chair laughing so hard....Welcome.

Find the links for first timers and have at it. By the way, first rule of
The Forum, if you don't post a pic, it didn't happen.

A lot of folks are quiet surprised when they first see the XK out somewhere
and often hear comments like I had no idea the Commander could do that.

I was leading a modifed Cherokee on night on a trail and when we stopped
he came and told me wow your not afraid to drive that thing and it did really well.

pjmjr508
01-25-2012, 05:57 AM
The QDII system is great & a BB lift & tires W/spacers really set the XK off & if you like to 4x4 you will love what you can do. Same as everyone has said so far you & everyone around you will be surprised how capable it is compared to the other so-called real jeeps out there.

Welcome to the group sir

The_War_Wagon
01-25-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm with the Coastie - XK with a 5.7, and you instantly become MASTER & COMMANDER of your neighborhood! http://www.theultimatejeep.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Holaday07 4.7
01-25-2012, 06:40 AM
The ironic part is we're going to eventually get my wife a TJ.. then when the kids are old enough (1 boy and 1 girl) we can do family offroad trips; the Commander will be the "his" and the TJ will be the "hers".

Our XK is the wifes and the Altima and TJ or "His"

jantrit
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Well, I did it. There are now two 06 commanders in my drive. :-) There are a couple of small issues carmax will need to fix. Auto headlamps won't work on auto and I suspect the auto wipers are out as well since there isn't a box on the windshield. The satelite radio isn't working but tbh, I don't do satelite radio anyway so not that interested in it. They say that all this will be fixed but even if they didn't I'm OK with it.

Driving home my wife says....I like this Commander....I like it a lot. :eek:

Sal-XK
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Well, I did it. There are now two 06 commanders in my drive. :-) There are a couple of small issues carmax will need to fix. Auto headlamps won't work on auto and I suspect the auto wipers are out as well since there isn't a box on the windshield. The satelite radio isn't working but tbh, I don't do satelite radio anyway so not that interested in it. They say that all this will be fixed but even if they didn't I'm OK with it.

Driving home my wife says....I like this Commander....I like it a lot. :eek:

Oh boy set the rules now or you'll mod yours then she'll take it from you LOL

pjmjr508
01-26-2012, 05:21 AM
LOL

Matt
01-26-2012, 05:29 AM
I think he's pulling our leg fellas....... no pictures! !!

:p

Sal-XK
01-26-2012, 06:48 AM
That's the rule no pics it didn't happen.

jantrit
01-26-2012, 04:16 PM
I think he's pulling our leg fellas....... no pictures! !!

:p

A quick pic now and I'll follow it up with more this weekend.

Matt
01-26-2012, 04:24 PM
That's better!

So which one is getting the lift and mud tires???

Sal-XK
01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Now get to modding so you xk looks like it's a mans jeep LOL

jantrit
01-26-2012, 04:45 PM
That's better!

So which one is getting the lift and mud tires???

This will be my daily driver so not going to go crazy with the lift. Maybe a 2 inch just to get a better look out of it.

Sal-XK
01-26-2012, 05:07 PM
This will be my daily driver so not going to go crazy with the lift. Maybe a 2 inch just to get a better look out of it.

This is almost all of our daily driver so no excuses LOL were a bad influence in here :)

Matt
01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Yup... this is my DD too.

And guess what, with just a 2" lift and some skid plates- you'll be amazed at where these things can go!!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/20110115483-1.jpg

pjmjr508
01-26-2012, 06:38 PM

This my daily as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHV-zlK_wcg&context=C34b2024ADOEgsToPDskJ6zV_NgYADbaQaOt3zn9-a

It also only has a 2" lift on 32's with skids

jantrit
01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I was already impressed with my wife's XK in the snow. It was amusing going over Donner Pass and watching them stop everyone and make them chain up EXCEPT us. We got waved through. About a mile down the road watched a F-250 spin and plow into a snow bank...speed isn't always your friend. We just crawled over the pass at about 20MPH with no issues.

I'm thinking 2" lift and skid plates would be plenty for anything I'm likely to throw at it. A roof rack with a snow board holder for kite board and gear is in the near future though. CBs will be going in both for the next move, but I have to make sure that hers is very discrete, like the cobra model that is nearly all contained in the mic part.

Matt
01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
..., but I have to make sure that hers is very discrete, like the cobra model that is nearly all contained in the mic part.

I had that Cobra.. it was a good CB. But check out what i got this time around:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/792-Matt-s-Garage?p=23734&viewfull=1#post23734

jantrit
01-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Yup... this is my DD too.

And guess what, with just a 2" lift and some skid plates- you'll be amazed at where these things can go!!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/20110115483-1.jpg

The more videos I see of the commander the more I'm impressed with them. I have to say this sort of quietly but I have to admit my wife had a great idea when she bought her XK. It just took me a couple years to realize it. :-P

jantrit
01-26-2012, 07:11 PM
I had that Cobra.. it was a good CB. But check out what i got this time around:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/792-Matt-s-Garage?p=23734&viewfull=1#post23734

Brilliant!!!!

Sal-XK
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
2" lift some aggressive looking tires and you won't recognize it. But be careful once you start modding you probably won't stop :)

Matt
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Brilliant!!!!

lol thanks.

A few posts later i get to the external antenna install and have pictures where i mounted the cable for it. Very pleased with the setup thus far

superacerc
01-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm with the Coastie - XK with a 5.7, and you instantly become MASTER & COMMANDER of your neighborhood! http://www.theultimatejeep.com/images/icons/icon6.png

The Lingo from Master and Commander makes so much more sense after having had to study for(Know all sails, and rails and lines) and sail as a Mast Captain on our 290' Barque Sailing Vessel The eagle. Just thought I'd throw that in since you mentioned it.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/30coastguardeagle-1.gif

Glad you got the XK. Keep us informed on the mods!

WanderingTs
01-26-2012, 07:59 PM
If you were going over Donner pass, can I asume we have another west coast member?

jantrit
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM
If you were going over Donner pass, can I asume we have another west coast member?

I used to live in CA. Right now we are in SC.

Holaday07 4.7
01-27-2012, 06:24 AM
So who gets the Limited? You or your wife?

Sal-XK
01-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Another east cost XK :D and poor holaday stuck in the middle with no other XK's to play with LOL

Holaday07 4.7
01-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Another east cost XK :D and poor holaday stuck in the middle with no other XK's to play with LOL

I know I dont get it. How come nobody else is trapped here?

Sal-XK
01-27-2012, 08:35 AM
I know I dont get it. How come nobody else is trapped here?

We're smarter then you? :p

Holaday07 4.7
01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
We're smarter then you? :p

Thanks Buddy

Sal-XK
01-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Buddy

No problem I'm here for you LOL hey walk out your door face the north then turn right or left and drive for about 900 miles and you'll be among friends. :)

cico7
01-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Did you piss off the guys in Chicago? They are closer.
But i know how you feel, the one XK'r I knew locally moved about an hour north.....

No problem I'm here for you LOL hey walk out your door face the north then turn right or left and drive for about 900 miles and you'll be among friends. :)

Thanks Buddy

Holaday07 4.7
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Did you piss off the guys in Chicago? They are closer.
But i know how you feel, the one XK'r I knew locally moved about an hour north.....

Whos in Chicago? I always post all the trail rides and nobody ever signs up.

cico7
01-27-2012, 04:27 PM
other forum..oscar ..

Thanks Buddy

Whos in Chicago? I always post all the trail rides and nobody ever signs up.

jantrit
01-27-2012, 08:40 PM
So who gets the Limited? You or your wife?

Me......for now. But I have a feeling I may loose that battle long term.

Sal-XK
01-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Me......for now. But I have a feeling I may loose that battle long term.

Pick one put a simple lift on some armor so you can come out with us this summer :)

jantrit
01-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Pick one put a simple lift on some armor so you can come out with us this summer :)

And as soon as its done she'll like that one :-P

Sal-XK
01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
And as soon as its done she'll like that one :-P

LMAO I guess I'm lucky my wife hates driving my jeep LOL

pjmjr508
01-28-2012, 06:14 AM
LMAO I guess I'm lucky my wife hates driving my jeep LOL

My wife hates driving mine, "its to high off the ground" she says all the time

jantrit
01-28-2012, 07:48 AM
My wife hates driving mine, "its to high off the ground" she says all the time

My wife is the opposite. She likes to sit higher off the ground. She likes big engines. She likes the jeep four wheel drives because its just always there and you don't have to think about it or wonder if you should put it into 4x4. She used to like going out wheeling in our CJ-7 when we lived in Texas. I don't think she's figured out what her commander is really capable of yet. :-P Of course having a toddler and another wee little one on the way has her focusing on other things atm.

XK N00b
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm late to the conversation here, but... turning in your man card for swapping your mini for a Commander? Sir, You should have applied that man card with your down payment on the mini. Welcome back to the Jeep club.

Honestly, when it was time to get a bigger vehicle than our KJ and her Audi the XK was not even a consideration on our list. We test drove the Ford Edge, every Nissan suv, the Audi Q7, came this close to actually buying a VW Touareg, and looked at Grand Cherokees. The Jeep dealer just happened to have an XK with everything we both wanted and was right in our price range. My first comment about it was "It drives like a school bus.". After two test drives during visits looking for a used WK, we went for a third trip and I saw two "large" older women taking the XK for a test drive, and the sales guy asked if he could help us. I said, "yeah, we're here to buy that Commander they just drove off in." We filled out the paperwork while they were out driving it and they were not pleased when they couldn't buy it anymore. It continues to grow on us every time it goes out. Enough that when we (I) drowned it during the failed river crossing, another XK was the only consideration in a replacement vehicle. The new one (purchased 12-2-11) got it's 2" lift, mud tires, wheel spacers Thursday, and Flowmaster muffler Friday, and it's first off road trip Saturday :D

jantrit
01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
A couple days with the new XK and I'm noticing some definite differences between the two. The 5.7 throttle is touchy. The 4.7 you can give it a bit of the long skinny and it reacts in a well behaved manner. With the 5.7 if you give it a bit of gas you have to be very careful as it will want to jump. Not the stalled engine sort of jump it just wants to get moving...NOW!

The engines sound very different next to each other. I may have a pump or bearing starting to wear on mine there is a slight whine from mine but not enough that you would hear it and think "Ah ha! That's an alternator/power steering pump/water pump etc.."

The wife's doesn't have the heating/cooling in the back. I wish mine didn't either as that space could be used for something more useful.

I ordered rubber matts from weathertech (thanks for the link Sal) My wife has a cargo net...i want one too you don't realize how useful they are until you've had one and then you don't. I found one on amazon for $23.

The best find so far is new buttons for the key fob. C'mon look at your jeep keys, those things are nasty! You can shiny new buttons for $7. https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Jeep/Commander/2006/1001449/
I ordered two because I'm sure as soon as the wife sees mine she'll want one as well. I think this is going to be the biggest problem with the whole his and hers thing. When I find something cool I have to double the price :-(