PDA

View Full Version : OME lift what else is needed

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on OME Struts, HD springs front and rear, and monroe load levelers for the rear shocks. (Can you believe the wife even oked it? :p)

What else do I need to get so all the suspension parts are new? I think I need spring isolaters (says to reuse OEM) Is there anything else directly connected to these parts that I can/should replace? (Still hunting down some noises I don't like and pretty sure my struts are worn anyways)

Matt
01-25-2012, 10:56 AM
When I did my OME I put on new isolators, bump stops and strut mounts.

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Are there two isolators per strut?
And are strut mounts really $85 each?
bump stops are only on the rear right?
Where did you get your parts?

Matt
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/20111001104814-1.jpg

Yup, upper & lower isolator for each.
Bump stops are the yellowish things.
Think I got the strut mounts for around $50 each....

Most parts were ordered from RockAuto.

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
On Rockauto it looks like the strut mount comes with the upper spring isolator am I reading that right?
RAYBESTOS Part # 5201476 Professional Grade
Contains Spring Seat; Bearing Not Included; Front

Whats the story with this bearing that isn't included though?

Sorry might seem simple, but I just want to order all the parts and have them here and not need to run all over while stuff is disassembled or have to wait for other stuff to arrive before completing the project.

Matt
01-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Hmmm... ill have to take a look at that. Wont be home from work until 10:30ish though tonight

AJeepZJ
01-25-2012, 06:24 PM
When I got my OME - I used the isolators that came with stock suspension - nothing else is actually needed to enjoy this beautiful upgrade - not bump stops, not upgraded uca's, nothing - slap on the lift, and enjoy. My rule of thumb has always been to replace as needed - and when you replace - might as well upgrade.

aj

Matt
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah whoever typed that Raybestos description probably screwed up... that part will work and it does come with the upper isolator. I ordered the Moog part just because im a fan of Moog suspension parts, and its only $5 more

MOOG Part # K160050 strut mounts + upper isolators = $34 x 2
RAYBESTOS Part # 5771713 Lower isolators = $11 x 2
Jounce Bumper 52089347AA = $15 x 2 (from mopar online store)

... So ~$120 to have 100% new components up front... dont have to worry about a worn out strut mount or isolator needing to be replaced and tearing it all down again.

Plus, you don't have to take apart the OEM assembly. I put my OME struts together one night, then it took me no time at all to throw them in; actually, at that point the installation takes less time than a spacer lift.

hoaxci5
01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Well everything is ordered.
OME HD with Monroe F150 rear shocks, new bump stops, new strut mounts, and new isolators.

I guess in a week or two I'll have it all installed.

peteyturbo
01-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Well everything is ordered.
OME HD with Monroe F150 rear shocks, new bump stops, new strut mounts, and new isolators.

I guess in a week or two I'll have it all installed.
What did you do for the front struts?
n/m I read the OP more thoroughly:eek:

hoaxci5
02-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Finally got it all installed..

Measurements from fender to center cap on wheel
Before - FL 20" FR 19.5" RL 21" RR 20.75
After - FL 21" FR 20.5" RL 22" RR 22"

Before was RRO 2.25" spacer lift, now OME HD with Monroe Load Levers (f150's) in the back

Matt
02-07-2012, 07:45 PM
didnt happen....

hoaxci5
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Yea I know, I'm still a little pissed off because I drove it and still have some clunking. So I'm going to get new sway bar end links, and see what happens.. If that doesn't fix it, it's going back to the mechanic for some steering work I guess. I don't know what else it could be...

(In other words, pics when I'm happy...)

Holaday07 4.7
02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
**** I am just used to the clunks! I think it would be cheaper to replace all the front bushings right?

AJeepZJ
02-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Yea I know, I'm still a little pissed off because I drove it and still have some clunking. So I'm going to get new sway bar end links, and see what happens.. If that doesn't fix it, it's going back to the mechanic for some steering work I guess. I don't know what else it could be...

(In other words, pics when I'm happy...)

make sure that that top strut bolt is NOT rubbing/hitting the body chassis where it was installed. You can easily look inside the engine bay to see if this is the case. Will look like metal shavings and such.

cico7
02-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Amen....
My rule of thumb has always been to replace as needed -
and when you replace - might as well upgrade. aj

Did you cut out the slot by the gas tank where the sway bar passes through?
Someone else had trouble with that banging.

I am going to verify the part.......so if this does not make sense, shut up....

hoaxci5
02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

New outer tie rods are ordered.. swaybar wasn't the issue, and it's defiantly in the front end.

AJeepZJ
02-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Amen....

Did you cut out the slot by the gas tank where the sway bar passes through?
Someone else had trouble with that banging.

I am going to verify the part.......so if this does not make sense, shut up....

Nah..

paroxysym
02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
turned out great... god damn i cant wait to order mine.

so has anyone NOT upgraded to the f150 load levelers?

sniezur
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey guys new member here but have been reading posts here and at Jeepcommander.com about lifts. I am ready to install a lift on my wifes, 07 Commander, and yes she is the one that actually requested it (even though I was going to try to sneek a lift on it for her). We put Firestone Destination A/T at 265-65-17 on it and she does not like how little space there is left to the botttom of the wheel house opening.

We do not plan on doing any crazy off roading, some northern Michigan trails and possibly the sand dunes a few times. We live in the thumb area of Michigan and travel dirt roads quite frequently so this is not just going to be a glorified grocery getter. I also use her vehicle to pull an 18 ft firewood trailer multiple times a year as we burn wood to heat our house instead of propane.

I have a few questions for you guys before I pull the trigger on the OME HD full suspension kit:

What is the actual lift with just the OME HD front and rear springs?

Where is the best place to order this kit from?

What is the difference in ride quality of the OME HD kit vs stock?

Is that the best kit to go with over just a coil spacer lift?

What is this extra 1/4" spacer from JB all about for the front coils?

I like the idea of the Monroe F150 rear coil over shocks but how much more does it stiffen the rear when unloaded?

Do I need the wheel spacers for anything other than widening the track width for stability?

I will be installing the lift at my buddies garage using his two post lift.

Thanks for any and all help.

07JeepXK
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
turned out great... god damn i cant wait to order mine.

so has anyone NOT upgraded to the f150 load levelers?

I haven't. Im just running the Old Man Emu rear shocks with the HD Coils.

AJeepZJ
03-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I have a few questions for you guys before I pull the trigger on the OME HD full suspension kit:

What is the actual lift with just the OME HD front and rear springs?
2.5-3" It will vary based on engine, equipment, armor etc. etc.

Where is the best place to order this kit from?
I bought mine from a vendor off another forum named Kolak

What is the difference in ride quality of the OME HD kit vs stock?
Stiffer.... definitely stiffer.

Is that the best kit to go with over just a coil spacer lift?

So far.

What is this extra 1/4" spacer from JB all about for the front coils?
There are spacers that can be stacked on the coils, the actual amount of lift you get from them is usually MORE. I would not recommend stacking anything on HD Coils in the front. Your CV's and Steering rack and pinion will bare the consequences of this. I bought .25" spacers to put on mine. If you did go with that.

I like the idea of the Monroe F150 rear coil over shocks but how much more does it stiffen the rear when unloaded?
My OME MD ride with Monroe Loads in the rear is noticeably more firm of a ride. I would expect at least as much the same results on an HD system.

Do I need the wheel spacers for anything other than widening the track width for stability?
You don't NEED an adjustable track bar for 2.5". Wheel spacers will improve the handling on XK's a lot. But one of them will comment on that.

I will be installing the lift at my buddies garage using his two post lift.

Thanks for any and all help.
Good Luck!

Matt
03-30-2012, 03:01 PM
I would add that you can order the OME from Steel Armadillo... a vendor on this forum :cool:

sniezur
03-30-2012, 03:18 PM
I just showed my wife the pic of hoaxci5's Commander on page 2 of this thread and that is the exact look we are after for our Jeep. If the HD coils are that much stiffer can I use the MD coils front and rear plus the 1/4" thick Rusty's/JB spacers in the front and the Monroe coil overs in the rear to "lighten" the siffness while maintaining the same amount of vertical lift?

I am after a minumum of 2.5"of lift without tooooo much stiffness added to the ride. We plan on adding 265-70-17 tires next year or 18" rims and similiar diameter all terrain tires.

I like the idea of wheel spacers but are 1" thick spacers available or do they start at 1.25" thick? What is the added leverage effect like on the factory wheel bearings in regard to longevity?

The 07 Commander has the following options:

Limited
no factory skid plates
QD II
Trailering package
basically all other options except Nav and rear DVD

Thanks again for the suggestions.

07JeepXK
03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
They make 1 inch wheel spacers buti think you would have to grind down the stock studs on the wheel bearing hub assembly to make them work. Or press in shorter studs.

criket
03-30-2012, 08:33 PM
They make 1 inch wheel spacers buti think you would have to grind down the stock studs on the wheel bearing hub assembly to make them work. Or press in shorter studs.

I believe you are right on this. That's why most people get 1.25 or above.

07JeepXK
03-31-2012, 09:14 AM
I believe you are right on this. That's why most people get 1.25 or above.

I was originally going to go with 1 inch spacers years ago but when I found that out I decided to go with the 1.25 inch.

sniezur
04-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Ordered my OME HD lift from Kolak yesterday. Instead of the OME rear shocks I had Nick ship me Bilstein 5125's instead. They are the 255/70 valving 28" OAL and 17" collapsed length. Kit should be here in 2-3 weeks. I am not going to put the 1/4" thk JBA spacers in unless the front end is too low. I really don't want it to be an stiffer than it has to be up front.

I also had him ship out four Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers to help add some clearance for the 265-65-17 tire to upper steering knuckle stud situation. Right now I only have about 1/4" there.

Thanks for all the help. Will take pics and post them once the lift is installed.

Sal-XK
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
The relation between you knuckle and tire will never change so if it clears it will always clear. The spacers will give it a nicer stance and more stability off road. Can't wait to see pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07JeepXK
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Should have ordered from ok4wd. You would have everything in 2-3 days for ground shipping

sniezur
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Nick had the HD kit on sale for $700 and only $65 for shipping. Have to go out of town next week for business so won't be able to install it until the end of this month anyways.

Once the lift is on I am going to take it to my buddies muffler shop so he can put on a custom bent 2 1/2" true dual exhaust system. Not sure what mufflers we are going to use yet. Either Flowmaster 50 series, Dyno-Max Ultra Flows, or Magnaflows if think.