PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bumper Removal

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Can someone who has done it share some info?

I've removed the 4 top push in peices, along with the 2 screws (when the tailgate is open) along with 4 or so push in pieces underneath. The fender flares have 2 push in type things too. It's still not loose and I don't want to break anything, it almost looks like these things in the picture need to be released or come out or something, but I'm not sure.

(All technical terms referenced above are trademarked by me)

NeilSmith
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Im trying to remember, its hurting my brain. Wait one....

Adondo
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Im trying to remember, its hurting my brain. Wait one....

The suspense is killing us. :)

NeilSmith
01-25-2012, 05:38 PM
man, i cant remember really. that should be it though. Don probably has a link to the instructions that come with the hitch, someone here does, Ive seen it before.

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Hrm, I found this http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1064&highlight=hitch+pic maybe I'm just not pulling it back hard enough.. didn't really want to though without knowing thats what I had to do.

criket
01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Behind the rear fender well towards the rear bumper there are 2 bolts that screw the bumper into the body. They are up there, I found mine with a flashlight. Is this what you are missing?

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Most likely, I read that in the manual but couldn't find them and this manual was wrong on the spare tire winch so I was just assuming they weren't there.. I guess I need to look a little harder. Did you have to remove the splash guard or whatever? (the black plastic of the inner fender) to get to them?

criket
01-25-2012, 07:37 PM
No, just lay on your back and look up. Driver side it's above/between the evap (?) thing and the plastic fender well. On the pass side, you'll have to reach past the exhaust behind the plastic fender well to get to it. YOu can see it with a flashlight and once you see it, you'll know exactly what I mean.

From the outside of the vehicle, the nut is behind (inside) where the plastic bumper and metal quarter panel come together at the fender well. Am I making any sense?

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
I had my flashlight out looking earlier.. I have to wait until my wife gets home (any minute) to get back out there are see whats what in there again.. kids slowing down my progress..

criket
01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Nut is where the red circle is, on the inside of the fender. At least it is on my WK so it should be the same on your XK, right?

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/jeep1-1.jpg

hoaxci5
01-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I still don't see it, I just see the two pieces the connect the fender flare so I guess XKs and WK's might be different.

criket
01-26-2012, 10:12 AM
oh ok, sorry man.

CmmdrDan
01-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Pretty sure that piece slides and comes out..

cico7
01-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Here is an install guide for the factory hitch.
This shows you how to remove the bumper.

Hitch Install Guide (http://jeepdex.com/Commander/DOCS1/HitchIns.pdf)

hoaxci5
01-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Well it was just those two holding it on.. I had to pull the center part out and then I removed the whole fastener. Both JustforJeeps and JeepDex install instructions for the hitch are incorrect in their illustrations of what holds the bumper on.

cico7
01-26-2012, 05:55 PM
No, jeepdex wasnt wrong. The illustration may be wrong, But Jeepex is NEVER wrong.
That is the illustration provided by Jeep. Jeep may be wrong.
The pic you have, that is just a slide. I took mine out but I found out I didnt have to. Once the fasteners slide the bumper back and it will drop down.
Well it was just those two holding it on.. I had to pull the center part out and then I removed the whole fastener. Both JustforJeeps and JeepDex install instructions for the hitch are incorrect in their illustrations of what holds the bumper on.