PDA

View Full Version : Duratracs or STTs

naidib04
01-28-2012, 05:31 PM
What are your guys' thoughts on these tires? They seem to have too small of a sidewall for me. I currently run Desination M/Ts but when those are shot I am going with an OME lift and probably 285/70s. I am leaning towards Duratracs but these M/Ts are damn near unstoppable in the mud and that is the main offroading I do.

Holaday07 4.7
01-28-2012, 06:35 PM
if it were mine I would get the STTs

Matt
01-28-2012, 06:39 PM
For mostly mud.. id definitely go with the STT's.

(I have the Duratracs... but i wouldn't buy them for mud)

NeilSmith
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
the duratracs are not a mud tire. I have had great results out of them in other terrain and snow. and they ride nice, not too loud, and wear wonderfully.

07JeepXK
01-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I say Duratracs (maybe im biased because I'm on my second set of the new MT/R's and wouldnt buy any other tire). My little brother has STT's on his Wrangler and hates them. He said they arent good in the mud compared to other tires he's had in the past. The duratracs might not be classified as a mud tire but they got some nice lugs on the outsides. Plus the nice all terrain pattern in the middle for normal daily driving.

Matt
01-28-2012, 07:02 PM
I've known quite a few guys with STT's on their wheeling rigs who have loved them. One in particular actually sells tires for a living and has them all at his fingertips (toyos, bgfs, coopers, etc etc) and swears by the STT's.... actually, some of you guys have even seen him wheeling in Uwharrie.

Matt
01-28-2012, 07:09 PM
..... how about some KM2's instead of the Duratracs? https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

07JeepXK
01-28-2012, 07:19 PM
I guess it all depends on what he is planning on doing with his Jeep. I do realize that he wants a tire that's good in the mud. But as we all know, our vehicles (going off actual mileage) are on normal roads 99% of the time and only off road about 1%. Now i know some people off road more then others but lets be realistic. Now with that being said, Im pretty sure the Duratracs arent all that bad in the mud. So basically you need to look at the cost of the tires and what you plan on using your Jeep for. Again im probablly biased to the Goodyear brand but it doesnt help that my MT/R's out perform my brothers STT's in every terrain and his Jeep is built (6+ inch lift, rear dana 60 rock jock with detroit locker, currie dana 44 front with ARB locker, 4.56 gears and the list goes on and on. $20,00 in parts alone was put into it in a matter of a month)

Matt
01-28-2012, 07:26 PM
I read stories like that for every tire on the market, regardless of which tire is being talked about.
MT/R is not the same as Duratrac... i wouldn't say that the Goodyear Fortera would outperform the STT just cause it's a Goodyear. lol maybe your buddy just doesn't know how to drive ;)

In any case, i still wouldn't recommend the Duratrac over STT's if "mud" is the primary terrain. I've seen the STT's on plenty of wheeling rigs and they're nothing to scoff at (IMO of course... experience will vary).

Matt
01-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Then again......... (sorry Chris) https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/rotfl-1.gif

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/01/20110115454-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
01-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I have seen every kind of tire get sidewall cuts. The STTs wear well, are durable, and an all around great mud tire. All o the edges on the Duratracs give them a huge advantage on the rocks.

AJeepZJ
01-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I really don't typically do a lot of mudding - Most of my wheeling is on the beach or out in Uwharrie and similar conditions... so typically Dirt/Rock trails. As a result, Duratracs were the perfect selection for me. My point is if you know what type of wheeling you are typically doing, select the tire that is most conducive to your wheeling environment. Duratrac is a great tire, but mud is not its forte - it should not even be in your options.

ErtsRide1
01-29-2012, 10:55 AM
If money is a factor then go to Walmart...they have duratracs but they call em authorities...they quoted me $800 for a set of 265/70/16 c ratings...

AJeepZJ
01-29-2012, 11:47 AM
If money is a factor then go to Walmart...they have duratracs but they call em authorities...they quoted me $800 for a set of 265/70/16 c ratings...

Anything less than 'D rating' really should not be considered.

Holaday07 4.7
01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Anything less than 'D rating' really should not be considered.

Not questioning you, but why not?

AJeepZJ
01-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Not questioning you, but why not?

If that 'C' rating also applies to his load range, you simply should not wheel a +5000 lb vehicle with a 6 ply rating. (Generally what Load Range C means). If he is wheeling, even when mudding - you really want a strong set of tires underneath you. Really need to have 10 ply rating. When that vehicle starts to flex and the distribution of weight starts to vary - you just want to make sure that regardless of the environment your driving on, the tire can handle it and not tear a whole or rip.

07JeepXK
01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
I read stories like that for every tire on the market, regardless of which tire is being talked about.
MT/R is not the same as Duratrac... i wouldn't say that the Goodyear Fortera would outperform the STT just cause it's a Goodyear. lol maybe your buddy just doesn't know how to drive ;)

In any case, i still wouldn't recommend the Duratrac over STT's if "mud" is the primary terrain. I've seen the STT's on plenty of wheeling rigs and they're nothing to scoff at (IMO of course... experience will vary).

Im not trying to start an argument, but it wasnt a story from a buddy nor something I read online in a review. The STT's are on my brothers heavily modified TJ wrangler and I off road with him all the time. I also have some time behind the steering wheel of his Jeep at Rausch Creek. Just to clarify, I never said every Goodyear tire will out perform other tires on the market just because its made by Goodyear. I just simply stated that my opinion on Goodyear is biased because Im running the MT/R's.

Matt
01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I just simply stated that my opinion on Goodyear is biased because Im running the MT/R's.

I was just pointing out that this above statement doesn't mean the Duratracs will be a better mud tire based on your experience.... We're technically agreeing... you're saying that your biased towards GY (the brand) because of your experience and im saying that your bias towards GY is making you recommend a tire that's not really applicable to your experience (the Duratracs) because there's no link to performance between the Duratracs & MT/Rs.

Now if you're recommending the MT/Rs over the STT's, then that's a different story (which seems like what you're really saying here is "get the MT/Rs instead of the Duratracs, based off your experience).

Edit: In other words, we're both saying that there are better mud tires out there than both the Duratracs and the STTs (im just saying that IF those are the only two options, the STT would be my choice for mud... note that im running the Duratrac because i think its a much better "well rounded" tire)

07JeepXK
01-30-2012, 05:20 AM
I understand what your saying. If it all comes down to the mud factor then I guess it would make sense to get the STT's. Especially if your running the Duratracs and have first hand experience with them in the mud. I wonder if the OP has made a decision yet?

Matt
01-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Do you have the new or old style MT/R?

Those were on my list of options but I didn't know anyone who had the new version yet so I was hesitant. I was also focused on ice/snow traction for daily driving in the northeast which swayed me to the DTs.

07JeepXK
01-30-2012, 05:47 AM
I have the new version of the MT/R's with Kevlar. Im on my second set and about to order my third in a few months. My tires are excelent in the ice and snow but I did a little siping/groving to them since the tread is getting low. I live in Upstate NY and we get hammered with snow.

Matt
01-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Good to know.... What kind of life are you getting out of them??

07JeepXK
01-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Well the set I have now I had installed in September 2010 the day before I went to Rausch Creek. They have about 25% tread left and about 25,000 miles on them. I know thats not a lot of miles for a set of tires but my front end alignment has been jacked up for quite some time now and the tires are cupping on the outside. Im in need of JBA UCA's. The inner lugs actuall have about 40% tread. Im going through the entire front end next month and will be installing new upper and lower UCA's, along with the passenger side inner and outer tire rod. Just replace the drivers side inner and outer last week cause it was shot.

naidib04
01-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I got some research to do before I go and pick out a new set.

Sal-XK
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Only piece of advice I can give is as great as my MT's are off road and aired down I would give some of that back for a quiter tire I think.

naidib04
01-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Only piece of advice I can give is as great as my MT's are off road and aired down I would give some of that back for a quiter tire I think.
Well my exhaust is loud enough where I can't really hear the road noise unless I'm crusing at like 30.

Sal-XK
01-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Well my exhaust is loud enough where I can't really hear the road noise unless I'm crusing at like 30.

They vibrate a lot as well LOL it will change the ride of the XK though just some FYI. for all around off road traction they can't be beat they bite real hard.