PDA

View Full Version : CUV's

BonesWK
02-07-2012, 06:23 AM
If you have been tuning in on the Trade in or Buy tires thread, you will know I may be in the market for a new car.

Anyone have any experience with ANY CUV's? Ford Edge, Mazda CX-7 or Equinox etc.

What do you own?
Would you buy again?
Feel you got your moneys worth?
Why you chose the car?

All input is valued, thanks!:cool:

Sal-XK
02-07-2012, 06:40 AM
The only advice I can give you is what to stay away from IMO. GMC, Chrysler (not Jeep though LOL) Toyota. Every company takes there turn at the top of the food chain and right now its Ford. The German guys are still good as usual VW BMW and so on. I was impressed with kia's options and stuff but couldn't get over the name KIA LOL same goes for Hyundai. Just my opinion on the subject I know we have chevy and dodge guys here so sorry but there crap LOL. I'm not brand loyal I have a passat and an f150 in my driveway with my Jeep LOL

pjmjr508
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
given a few years ago I would have said stay away from Chrysler, but since Fiat took over the quality & workmanship has gone up from what it use to be. Also I have to preface this next comment I am not a Ford person so not going to rec one of them.
I have rented a few of the new Chryslers (300c AWD) over the last year & have been very impressed & not just with the 300c, the suv/cuv's IMO are pretty nice.

Now about the Equinox Motor Week has put it at the top of their lists for the last few years with out fail. I have driven quite a few cx-7 & 9's & enjoyed the power and what comes with them & friends I know with them really enjoy them.
Good Luck on finding the replacement car/cuv, I am in the process of the same & have been researching a lot of cars right now.

Carn75
02-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Sal hit it on the head...every few yrs it seems one company or the other rise a little bit above the others. I'm not usually a fan,but Mazda seems to stand out this year. I recently went to the auto show in phila,and I have to admit it...those CX-7s were pretty impresive.

BonesWK
02-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Awesome insight! Thanks so far. God this is why I love this close knit group, lots of help over here.

Yeah, right now we like the Ford Edge, Mazda cx7 and Equinox. But we have yet to drive any, so we shall see.

Sal-XK
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Also pay attention to options and quality versus price. Ford has tons of incentives right now and good interest rates. VW didn't have much in kick backs but great interest rate and good quality versus price. I think fords prices are inflated so they can knock thousands off for you. The f150 listed at 37k I sat there until we got it for 30k with free stuff thrown in LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJeepZJ
02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Won't be much of a contribution, but... my older sis owns the Mazda CX-7 - Fast little SUV... I like how it drives, but dont' care for the interior. The Equinox is nice too - Both vehicles drive and handle like cars which I don't care for, but they are very quiet, and comfortable. More importantly, both vehicles come with optional AWD, make sure she gets it. Safer for her and the kids, and ends up being cheaper to insure. But both vehicles are acceptable to me, I just can't own anything other than a Jeep... Or Porsche. I don't know much about the ford edge.

Has she considered a Jeep KK?

Holaday07 4.7
02-07-2012, 01:52 PM
My uncle is a traveling sales rep and is on his 2nd Edge. I drove his, and it is nice. Since he lives in the thing he got a Limited and all the gizmos, but he runs them to 150k adn trades it in.

I wanted to get one of these instead of the Commander when we first started looking.

BonesWK
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Won't be much of a contribution, but... my older sis owns the Mazda CX-7 - Fast little SUV... I like how it drives, but dont' care for the interior. The Equinox is nice too - Both vehicles drive and handle like cars which I don't care for, but they are very quiet, and comfortable. More importantly, both vehicles come with optional AWD, make sure she gets it. Safer for her and the kids, and ends up being cheaper to insure. But both vehicles are acceptable to me, I just can't own anything other than a Jeep... Or Porsche. I don't know much about the ford edge.

Has she considered a Jeep KK?

Cant get her to want a jeep. She wants something a little bigger than the KK but not a XK. I a WKII would be sweet, but the price and MPG's it would be just dumb.

My uncle is a traveling sales rep and is on his 2nd Edge. I drove his, and it is nice. Since he lives in the thing he got a Limited and all the gizmos, but he runs them to 150k adn trades it in.

I wanted to get one of these instead of the Commander when we first started looking.

Yeah, Our perfect match would be an Edge, but they are a little more money and a little less MPG's. So unless we find the perfect deal it may be a long shot.

God I sound like a hippie with all this MPG talk, but Money is Money. But im fine with my wk getting 13.5 mpg :)

Holaday07 4.7
02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=BonesWK;26298]Cant get her to want a jeep. She wants something a little bigger than the KK but not a XK. I a WKII would be sweet, but the price and MPG's it would be just dumb.

My dad gets 23-25 mpg with his WKII

Matt
02-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Before picking up our in-laws Accord we threw around the idea of trading the Liberty in for a CX7. Although I've hit 22mpg on a long highway trip, its normally around 18mpg for our daily commute.... so the extra ~10mpg had us thinking about it. And our neighbor has one, its a neat vehicle and seems like a good bang for the buck. We tried looking at slightly used ones that would be almost an even trade for the KK.

BonesWK
02-08-2012, 06:21 AM
[QUOTE=BonesWK;26298]Cant get her to want a jeep. She wants something a little bigger than the KK but not a XK. I a WKII would be sweet, but the price and MPG's it would be just dumb.

My dad gets 23-25 mpg with his WKII

Wow dude that is awesome. WKII are just a bit too pricey for us right now though.

She drove a 2011 Equinox last night, and loved it. We are going to drive a CX-7 tonight and see how it goes.

Lt_JWS
02-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Working on cars for a living id say the cars we work on the least at our shop are Hyundai, that being said the newer Fords are hard to beat, I will say this the newer GM vehicles with the 3.6 V6 are giving some trouble(i believe mechanical problems, dont remember), but every vehicle will have its own set of problems none are perfect. Good luck!

BonesWK
02-09-2012, 06:18 AM
So we drove a CX-7 last night, and she loved it as well.

Ok so we have a choice between 2 cars right now we love. We are hung up on warrranty information more than anything. As far a price is concerned, we have talked the cx-7 down to around 17k. Havent really pressed the Equinox dealer quite yet.

http://showroom.auction123.com/auto_wholesale/inventory/8265/2011/Chevrolet/Equinox/2GNALBEC0B1176085.html - Equinox
3yr 36k Bumper to bumper
5yr 100k Powertrain (carried over from dealer)

http://stevensonmazda.com/Wilmington/For-Sale/Used/Mazda/CX-7/2010-SV-White-SUV/6622813/ - cx-7
3yr 36k Bumper to bumper
Lifetime powertrain (must keep up with maint. schedule)

Opinions? Thoughts? lifetime warranties?, I know Jeep offered this as well for a short time.

Matt
02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Seems like a win-win. I'd look at pricing... how much will the equinox be? If that's around 25k, I'd go with the cx7.

Edit: nevermind.... the link worked after a 3rd attempt on my phone. Price is comparable. ... maybe look at which vehicle holds value better, all things being equal.

BonesWK
02-14-2012, 06:49 AM
We made our purchase on Saturday
2011 cx-7 I sport w/ 8k on it
Leather, heated seats and sunroof
Lifetime power train warranty

Honestly its not a bad little ride. Moves well for a 4cyl and decent on gas. I would recommend it.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/IMAG0098-1.jpg

Now to pay mine off in 5 months or less!

Holaday07 4.7
02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Nice man, congrats on the new ride

Matt
02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Awesome. Keep us posted on how you like it. :)

pjmjr508
02-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Nice CUV

Lt_JWS
02-14-2012, 09:20 PM
looks good, its not the turbo version by chance?!

BonesWK
02-15-2012, 06:09 AM
looks good, its not the turbo version by chance?!

Unfortunately no. But I was hearing bad things about those anyways... taking 93 octane only, and crappy mileage.

It would have been cool though, I have always wanted a turbo vehicle.

AJeepZJ
02-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Congrats, man... My sis has one like this but hers is blue. Did you get the AWD like I recommended?!?!?!

BonesWK
02-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Congrats, man... My sis has one like this but hers is blue. Did you get the AWD like I recommended?!?!?!

Negative on the AWD.. I didnt even see that as an option on the several we looked at.

Lt_JWS
02-15-2012, 03:42 PM
yeah your most likely better off without the turbo

Matt
01-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Bumping this back up...

Our accord died this morning which is forcing us to buy a new vehicle at least a year before we planned (didn't want a car payment with 3 kids in daycare).

They don't make the CX7 anymore but i'm considering a 6spd manual FWD CX5.... so kind of curious if you're still happy with your purchase?

My two front runners right now are:
Mazda CX-5
Subaru Forrestor

.... i'll be test driving both in the AM.

jjt250
01-16-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm biased towards Subarus...they're pretty reliable, safe, awesome AWD system, and are pretty fun to drive. However, the Mazda is pretty good too. Definitely test drive both of them!

lekmedm
01-17-2014, 06:05 AM
I'm a Subaru guy (after Jeep, of course). We have a 2006 Outback XT that has performed flawlessly!

Matt
01-17-2014, 06:17 AM
I've always been a Subaru guy too, but the CX-5 is a nice looking vehicle with good ratings. The 6spd manual FWD version has me interested as well... 35 mpg and easily below $25k out the door. This vehicle is going to fill the void of a 2001 Accord DX (small engine, no power windows, no power locks, no options at all), so anything is a huge step up.

Once the dealerships open up this morning my son and I are going to check out both, get a few quotes and go from there.

06JeepXKHEMI
01-17-2014, 07:23 AM
Id go subaru, I used to work at a Mazda/Nissan dealership in college when those first came out. I never liked the cheap looking and feeling interior, the only thing i did like was their stereo. My friend is Pittsburgh has a new forestor and its real nice. You know how winter gets in Pitt and it performed ridiculously easy going through the back hills in almost a blizzard.

Matt
01-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Definitely a Subaru lover here too (had a 2009 Legacy for a while... had to get rid of it due to rear facing car seat fitment). And I've seen how much snow those things can handle first hand up in Vermont.

Not that those features aren't helpful in posturing the Forrester over the CX-5, but having the XK in the garage somewhat offsets the benefit in that department.

Styling and the ability to customize the CX5 a bit more than the Forrester, plus the lower price tag is giving the CX5 a good vibe in my book

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2014/01/2015MazdaCX5Concept-1.jpg

At the same time, I know multiple people who drive Subaru's for 200k miles and then get a new one. They don't get rid of them because of issues, but because they're just ready for a new car. So the proven reliability of the Subaru is a huge plus as well.

It's definitely going to be interesting test driving these vehicles today!!

lekmedm
01-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Are you looking for new or used? When we got our's, it was dealer-driven with < 5,000 miles on it. It is top-of-the-line and came at probably $7000 less than invoice.

Here are some relatively new Foresters from that dealer < $25k.

http://www.bkcars.com/all-inventory/index.htm?internetPrice=20000-29999&&&&make=Subaru&model=Forester&

Matt
01-18-2014, 06:20 AM
Looking at new. Im leary of used vehicles in this region from Sandy and used prices arent that much lower than new.

I have to admit I was not impressed at all with the Forester yesterday. It wasnt a bad vehicle.... but Subaru has really cut back on the interior quality :(. I was expecting it to be like our base model 2009 Legacy 2.5... as soon as I sat in that vehicle I knew we were buying it because the interior made you feel like you weren't cheaping out lol.

I was also expecting more interior room but it really didnt (it might have more cubic feet on paper but thats gotta be hidden in head room not real cargo space)

06JeepXKHEMI
01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
I think you had your mind made up hahaha!!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Matt
01-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Na man i WANTED to love the Subaru... would have saved me $3k too. The visibility out the back of the CX-5 isn't good with the tiny rear window and HUGE blind spots; which made the reverse camera a required option which comes in one of those higher level packages that bumps the cost up.

Even my wife said she was expecting a lot more from the Subaru. It didn't help they only had 4 or 5 of them there that were all pretty much optioned the same too.

Matt
01-18-2014, 03:54 PM
In the show room:
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2014/01/20140118135513_zpsadb89fe1-1.jpg

At the in-laws

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2014/01/20140118161955_zpsca296bb2-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2014/01/20140118161947_zpsb863bdb3-1.jpg

06JeepXKHEMI
01-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Nice man, saw some pics on facebook to, looks pretty good! Still surprised about the Subaru

Core XK
01-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Nice man! I am sure Serena will be happy with it. I am still trying to convince Kacie to get the new Cherokee :)