PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighted Vents

jantrit
02-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Since I'm taking the dash out to replace the broken vents, install the ipod adapter (ISCH73 by isimple), and to install a MDS indicator. I am kicking around putting 2 x LEDs into each of the vents and wiring it them into the interior lights. That way when the interior lights come on the dash vents should glow in addition to the lighting. I'll be pulling out the normal lights for LEDs throughout the vehicle in the next couple weeks anyway and this seems like an interesting upgrade. What do you guys think? I was also thinking of putting a couple in the box on the passenger side as well.

All lights would be white (~6300k)

Sal-XK
02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
The only issue I can think of is making sure what ever you use can take the temperatures the heat operates at I guess. And if you don't like the the look of glowing vents you can always find a somewhere else to put that lights.

jantrit
02-27-2012, 09:38 AM
The only issue I can think of is making sure what ever you use can take the temperatures the heat operates at I guess. And if you don't like the the look of glowing vents you can always find a somewhere else to put that lights.

-20 to +80 C operating temperature

jantrit
02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm looking at putting 2x LEDs in each vent. Possibly: These (http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/component-leds/5mm-pure-white-high-flux-led-90-degree-viewing-angle-5500-mcd/705/) I haven't worked with high flux LEDs and am a bit concerned that I will over light the vents. Anyone play with these?

Wiring diagram will come from linear1.org (http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz) a great little site to help design LED circuits.

bah...attached image fail :-(

Sal-XK
02-27-2012, 04:14 PM
-20 to +80 C operating temperature I never measured it but I'm pretty sure the heat pumps higher then 80 considering the engine operates around 200+. Just realized I think you posted you outside temp ranges I meant the temps in the vents. -20 AC would be the bomb in the south east LOL

NeilSmith
02-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I never measured it but I'm pretty sure the heat pumps higher then 80 considering the engine operates around 200+. Just realized I think you posted you outside temp ranges I meant the temps in the vents. -20 AC would be the bomb in the south east LOL
he is showing the temp in celsius , that would be -4 to 176 in Fahrenheit

Sal-XK
02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
he is showing the temp in celsius

My bad hahahahahahahah

criket
02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
HAHAHAHA, friggin hilarious.