PDA

View Full Version : Bird poop

criket
03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Today I was washing and waxing my wifes SUV. It's a Kia Borrego, 4x4, black in color. I know the car has been in a hail storm and that's where most of the chips are from.

BUT I also noticed BEFORE I washed it that there were a few spots of bird poop. I thought, eh, no big deal. I'm gonna wash them off. The actual bird poop did come off but there is still spots on the paint where it was at. I scrubed and scrubed but there is still spots on the paint.

So I went ahead and waxed it. I thought well maybe the wax will help. It didn't.

Can bird poop mess up your paint if there for a period of time?

Matt
03-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I've seen bird poop take paint down past the primer... I try to wash it off as soon as possible.

NeilSmith
03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes it can. I really depends on what the birds are eating. If they eat something really acidic like blue berries , then their droppings are going to be acidic also. We have all seen what acid rain does to paint and glass, same outcome with the bird droppings.

criket
03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I need to take better care of my wife's car.

Bigredmariner
03-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah some poop can be extremely acidic and will etch your clear coat. Not much you can do about it, once in a while you will get lucky and be able to polish the clear back to normal. Unfortunately more times than not it's ruined.