PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep TCS off?

WanderingTs
03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
While wheeling I often find reasons to stop long enough to turn off the engine. Each time I turn the engine back on, for safety reasons (per the owners manual) the XK has reset itself to the TCS fully back on setting. I know there are liability issues that would make Jeep set it up this way, but I find it to be a pain. Has anyone found a "cheat code" to enable the Jeep to stay in whatever mode you set it in even if you turn off the engine?

Matt
03-25-2012, 04:06 AM
That's a good question.... kind of like a "key dance" to keep tcs off. Would be awesome if one existed!

07JeepXK
03-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Unfortunately I dont think there is anything you can do for this.

AJeepZJ
03-25-2012, 05:39 AM
I almost NEVER play the 'big-brother' role, because i'm the daredevil myself... But, I actually think it's a good idea that it is set up the way it is. Objectively speaking, i can see the advantage of what you are suggesting. But that TCS saves folks on the road, you'd only have to forget once turn it back on, and get really unlucky. Unless FULLY disengaged, the TCS will turn itself back on after you've exceeded a certain speed anyway.

Matt
03-25-2012, 04:18 PM
A lot of vehicles don't have TCS and a lot less traction than a jeep without it... if you happen to forget it's off, i don't see that as really an "unsafe" thing. Slightly less safe than on? Yes... but so is driving my base model accord with only front wheel drive and no special engine-killing traction control system.

Add to that the group who is asking for this type of feature is also the type of driver who actually thinks about the driving conditions and their vehicles- i doubt any of "us" would get into our vehicles during a blizzard without thinking "ok, lets make sure this 4x4 is functioning".

That's right AJ, i just told you to stay outta my jeep :p

AJeepZJ
03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Hmmmm. I disagree, respectfully of course! This is like saying a vehicle without a seatbelt is less safe than a vehicle with it. So far as the seatbelt isnt needed, technically, one is no more safe than the other... This is also the case for TCS's... safe/unsafe, advantages/less advantageous... Preferential words. Also I wasnt thinking in terms of incliment weather. My comments were more directed towards swerving; evading collision while avoiding turnover.

Matt
03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
FWIW, seatbelts are required here, and probably will be required in every state in the near future.

So are you saying that the government should mandate that all vehicles come equipped with AWD and TCS? Cause, that seems to be what you're saying... that vehicles equipped without them are "unsafe".

Lt_JWS
03-25-2012, 05:11 PM
I personally tried the "key dance" for ESP disable for a JK jeep didn't work, you could always put a kill switch in between the ground wire of the ESP module(rear of center console)That would disable it for sure :) and when you wanted to run with ESP simply turn off your jeep and flip the switch and restart your jeep and your in business!

Edit, do at your own risk, but i've read alot of people do it to chargers/challengers with ESP, I belive it shouldn't mess with ABS and should only affect ESP and ERM also BAS may be disabled.....

Here's the article on ESP disable for a JK if anyones interested....
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/electrical/154_0905_wrangler_control_system/index.html

BonesWK
03-26-2012, 05:36 AM
while turning TCS off is a bit of a hassle, it has saved my ass while driving down the road.

I hit some ice on the road, and the TCS kicked in and kept me from sliding off the road into a ditch. If it was already off, I would have never thought to turn it on, before I drove that AM. Just sayin..

Matt
03-26-2012, 05:55 AM
I don't think there's any disagreement that its a benefit for sure. Just that its a benefit, not a required piece of safety equipment like seatbelts or airbags. There's not a single car (legal anyway) that doesn't have seatbelts and airbags, but there's plenty without traction control systems. Therein lies my [respectful] disagreement with AJ on the topic of whether we should be able to do a special key dance to keep TCS off while on long off-road excursions. ... the risk of leaving it off, IMO, is minimal and not nearly on the level of "unsafe" as is not wearing seatbelts since leaving it off would put us in similar (and still somewhat better) traction &control situations than many other non-awd vehicles on the road, aaaand disabling TCS doesn't disable our airbags or seatbelts :)

Matt
03-26-2012, 06:04 AM
.... plus I'm sure the dash would give a reminder its off, just like it currently does.

AJeepZJ
03-26-2012, 06:47 AM
FWIW, seatbelts are required here, and probably will be required in every state in the near future.

So are you saying that the government should mandate that all vehicles come equipped with AWD and TCS? Cause, that seems to be what you're saying... that vehicles equipped without them are "unsafe".

I don't do government discussions, lol. But I will say that if you deduced in my response that uncle sam should mandate TCS in all vehicles, I admit I unintentionally mislead you! :D

I don't think there's any disagreement that its a benefit for sure. Just that its a benefit, not a required piece of safety equipment like seatbelts or airbags. There's not a single car (legal anyway) that doesn't have seatbelts and airbags, but there's plenty without traction control systems. Therein lies my [respectful] disagreement with AJ on the topic of whether we should be able to do a special key dance to keep TCS off while on long off-road excursions. ... the risk of leaving it off, IMO, is minimal and not nearly on the level of "unsafe" as is not wearing seatbelts since leaving it off would put us in similar (and still somewhat better) traction &control situations than many other non-awd vehicles on the road, aaaand disabling TCS doesn't disable our airbags or seatbelts :)

You'll have to pardon my passionate discussion in the topic, lol. Industrial hygiene and occupational/public health and safety is what I do. (for now anyway, lol). But, I definitely understand your argument though. And you are right, there are plenty of vehicles that are without TCS systems, especially older vehicles. But these vehicles should not be the standard for which we compare safety. I think the premise behind what I'm saying is that having a manual switch to engage/disengage the TCS at will - carries a certain amount of risk. It is difficult for me to dismiss TCS as minimal in it's application for highway safety, as this technology IS a safety feature for vehicles in which it is equipped.

But I do compromise, because I can understand the purpose for why it would need to be disabled. And If say, you came to me, told me you wanted to do what the OP is trying to accomplish. I'd probably say "under the condition that...." And in this case, it would be under the condition that the vehicle notifies the driver that TCS is disabled at a 40mph or greater, and the vehicle is used daily as a primary means of transportation. Or maybe that the vehicle is somehow registered as a recreational vehicle, or towed to site.

At the end of the day when you come home to tell your kids, family,etc, that you could have died. It will be you that will be the one grateful to be alive!

Matt
03-26-2012, 07:53 AM
We're probably agreeing more than we're disagreeing here..... For instance I agree that the standard shouldn't be set lower. You're looking at it like a light switch, on/off.... safe/unsafe. I'm looking at it like a dimmer switch, on---------------------off..... safe, less safe, even lesser safe.

The reason I equated your response to government mandate was because you jumped right to a seatbelt analogy which really is more of a safe/unsafe with really no in-between. For example I would say that driving without a seatbelts is unsafe, but I would not say that driving without TCS is unsafe. But I do agree that driving with TCS is safER than driving without TCS. .... lol I bet I just made Sals head explode with that sequence.....

AJ, are you against people airing their tires down for offroading if they don't have TPMS? That would be a bigger concern IMO since its more likely they'll forget to air up.... and driving with under inflated tires is without a doubt "unsafe".

And yes, risk has levels. Your posts make it seem like driving without TCS is such a high risk that death is imminent.... I guess I need to sell my Accord that the wife is using since she's at such a high risk for an accident and its all my fault cause I could have prevented it by purchasing her a newer vehicle with new advanced traction systems. :(

AJeepZJ
03-26-2012, 08:25 AM
We're probably agreeing more than we're disagreeing here..... For instance I agree that the standard shouldn't be set lower. You're looking at it like a light switch, on/off.... safe/unsafe. I'm looking at it like a dimmer switch, on---------------------off..... safe, less safe, even lesser safe.

The reason I equated your response to government mandate was because you jumped right to a seatbelt analogy which really is more of a safe/unsafe with really no in-between. For example I would say that driving without a seatbelts is unsafe, but I would not say that driving without TCS is unsafe. But I do agree that driving with TCS is safER than driving without TCS. .... lol I bet I just made Sals head explode with that sequence.....

AJ, are you against people airing their tires down for offroading if they don't have TPMS? That would be a bigger concern IMO since its more likely they'll forget to air up.... and driving with under inflated tires is without a doubt "unsafe".

And yes, risk has levels. Your posts make it seem like driving without TCS is such a high risk that death is imminent.... I guess I need to sell my Accord that the wife is using since she's at such a high risk for an accident and its all my fault cause I could have prevented it by purchasing her a newer vehicle with new advanced traction systems. :(

1st bold comment... It wasn't the topic of discussion, but now that you mention it! :D. In all seriousness though, I'm no more against that than I am for disabling your TCS for offroading - there's a purpose.... So long as the driver is aware that there are features that are disabled, that will require his/her attention afterwards. I'm not against the disabling of these features, my concerns are around people who may forget to enable them afterwards (that is all).

2nd bolded comment... Well... Not every passenger vehicle without seat belts in a collision results in a fatality.

3rd bolded comment... I sense sarcasm, lol... But this is of course your prerogative. Just as I suggested to Ryan with his expecting wife, I suggested he and his wife purchase an AWD vehicle, granted if this was in the cards for them. We can agree there is no substitute for safety. I feel like I'm going in a circle, haha, because you've already accepted that TCS puts drivers in a better situation for handling surprises over a vehicle where this system is not equipped. Your wife is not an accident waiting to happen. She presents a certain amount of risk,under the right circumstances, to avoid one.

Matt
03-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Lol I'm glad you were able to sense my sarcasm. :)

Fwiw, our original "family" vehicle was an awd Subaru. .... ironically it couldn't fit reverse facing car seats so we had to trade it in. ..... for the XK! win.

WanderingTs
03-29-2012, 07:09 PM
So to throw gas on the fire.... I also undo my seatbelt and then rebelt it behind me so that the beep doesn't chime. But only when wheeling! Just as I remember to stop, air-up, throw on my clean and dry socks/shoes, store away whatever gear I got out during the day, and return my seatblet to normal functioning as I approach the paved road, I would do the same with TSC.

I was just hoping to save the wait each time I stop and then start out again during the day.

Matt
03-29-2012, 07:18 PM
LMAO... dude you so forgot to reconnect all your swaybars!

Sal-XK
03-30-2012, 04:32 AM
So to throw gas on the fire.... I also undo my seatbelt and then rebelt it behind me so that the beep doesn't chime. But only when wheeling! Just as I remember to stop, air-up, throw on my clean and dry socks/shoes, store away whatever gear I got out during the day, and return my seatblet to normal functioning as I approach the paved road, I would do the same with TSC.

I was just hoping to save the wait each time I stop and then start out again during the day.

I do the same thing unless the obstacle is extreme and there is a chance of me rolling over then I put my belt on. My rear sway is off the jeep so I don't have to worry about that anymore :) The dash lights do a pretty good job letting you know to air up and turn your traction control back on I think it would pretty hard to forget to do any of that.

TrialByFire
04-01-2012, 08:48 AM
So to throw gas on the fire.... I also undo my seatbelt and then rebelt it behind me so that the beep doesn't chime.

FYI:
I hated that chime also. Turns out that the chime can be disabled by buckling/unbuckling the driver's belt three times within 30 seconds of starting the engine.

07JeepXK
04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
FYI:
I hated that chime also. Turns out that the chime can be disabled by buckling/unbuckling the driver's belt three times within 30 seconds of starting the engine.

Yup...something that that extent. The owners manual tells you how to disable it.