PDA

View Full Version : What length CB Antenna? CB Newbie

BonesWK
04-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Hey Guys,

Ive been looking around at all the cb threads and pretty much nailed down what radio, antenna mount etc. to get. Im stuck on a length of antenna to get. Im looking at fiberglass firestik type of antennas.

I see some running 3' and some running 4'. For some odd reason on amazon the 4' firestik is cheaper. Anyways any pros or cons to length?

I dont park in my garage nor park in the parking deck here at work so either length wont matter in that aspect. I will mainly be using this CB for trail use I guess. I have never owned a CB before so I dont know what else people do with them, talk on the highway? Yes im a noob.

Matt
04-04-2012, 06:04 AM
I went with the 4' because I mounted mine off the front bumper so it sits lower. If it was mounted higher I would get the 3'.

For trail use, either is more than sufficient. You're going to be limited by the weakest link in the group which is going to be someone with a basic handheld anyways (which I've found is still good for most trail rides, even when the group splits).

Either way, go with the tuneable tip.

Sal-XK
04-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Every thing Matt said I went with whatever setup got the tip above the roof line not much just above it for longer range since I wheel in drastic elevation changes. Last trip we couldn't hear the dude we sent to the top of the hill so I went up and could hear and talk to the bottom of the hill no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DetroitMarauder
04-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Generally the higher the better. But that depends on your use as well. Make sure you get a spring too. They're less than ten bucks and will save you from having to buy a new antenna after every trip.

NeilSmith
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
you really need to be up above the roof and any roof rack you may have. order you a spring and a quick - disconnect also. i got all Firestick stuff ( from Amazon )

BonesWK
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
all of this is great input! never thought of getting above the roof rack too. I have my rack and a tire up there so the more I think about it a 4' may answer the mail for my setup.

Oh and a spring is definiitley on the list of items.

Sal-XK
04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Mine sits just above my rack my like an inch. I've had no issues on the trails so far and keeping it low keeps it from hitting everything. Are you using the 4xG antenna mount?

BonesWK
04-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Im going to go with this mount - http://www.rightchannelradios.com/door-jamb-cb-antenna-mount-kit.html Ive seen a couple pictures from the forum of people using it. Cheaper than the 4xguard and does the same job.

NeilSmith
04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
thats the mount I used, Firestik Door Jamb Mount. I straightened out the 45 deg bends into one 90 deg bend and it gave me a little more reach into the jamb.

lekmedm
04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Since you have a basket, I would consider putting a mount on the basket and getting a 2 foot long firestik. If you decide to keep to your door jamb choice, pick a 4 foot firestik so that the tip of the antenna is 1-2 feet over the roof. Either way, they'll do fine for trail use. If you ever want to go for distance, you want the longest antenna above the roof line (in general).

pjmjr508
04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/IMAG0076-1.jpg
I have mine attached to my rack & it works great for me, I do need to add a spring tho.

Sal-XK
04-05-2012, 04:25 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/IMAG0076-1.jpg
I have mine attached to my rack & it works great for me, I do need to add a spring tho.

That setup would smacking everything on my jeep LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pjmjr508
04-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I do need to add a spring, but there is some flex at the mount now.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/tsf2011005-1.jpg

NeilSmith
04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
here is the current setup. 4 ft Firestik with a spring and quick disconnect on the door jamb mount, all Firestik pieces. Im right at 9ft off the ground.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/downsized_0315120855-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/002-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/0015-1.jpg

criket
04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Mine looks very similar to yours Niel except for the spring and disconnect. These fiberglass antennas have a lot of flex in the antenna itself. But the spring will garauntee that it will bend better.

Sal-XK
04-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Mine smacks my jeep sometimes if a passing truck moves it just right then it gets into a rhythm and bangs hard I usually have slam on the brakes to stop it

pjmjr508
04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Mine smacks my jeep sometimes if a passing truck moves it just right then it gets into a rhythm and bangs hard I usually have slam on the brakes to stop it

umm understand now, have not had that issue

Matt
04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Mine chills off the front.... probably helps reception being away from the cab as well

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/RC41201234-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/08/20120328190228-1.jpg

NeilSmith
04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
mine has never hit the cab although I have always expected it to do so. :)

Sal-XK
04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
mine has never hit the cab although I have always expected it to do so. :)

Ya certain speed perfect storm type stuff LOL not sure if I can do the front mount but I leave mine on all the time too.

NeilSmith
04-06-2012, 05:43 AM
yeah, i run mine all the time also. thats the main reason i got the qd, i need to remove it for the carwash. :)

Matt
04-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Go through the car wash with the roof rack?

NeilSmith
04-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Go through the car wash with the roof rack?
NO !!!! I tried that, by accident, not a good outcome. LOL !! Actually, the rack fits and I had been thru before with the rack but then I added the lights and didnt think about that. That machine whacked the lights pretty hard and scared the crap out of me. I dont keep the rack on top for daily use.

Matt
04-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Hahahaha I was gonna say...

Sal-XK
04-06-2012, 07:29 AM
NO !!!! I tried that, by accident, not a good outcome. LOL !! Actually, the rack fits and I had been thru before with the rack but then I added the lights and didnt think about that. That machine whacked the lights pretty hard and scared the crap out of me. I dont keep the rack on top for daily use.

Did the same thing shattered my air faring and moved my rack back a little bit.

DetroitMarauder
04-06-2012, 08:37 AM
I leave my antenna off and leave it in the back all the time and only put it on when I plan on using it. If I left it on someone would steal it over night.

NeilSmith
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I leave my antenna off and leave it in the back all the time and only put it on when I plan on using it. If I left it on someone would steal it over night.
I wouldn't think there would be such high demand for CB antennas in the greater Detroit area. LOL

Matt
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Eh kids will steal anything for fun and throw it away. I normally take mine off too

DetroitMarauder
04-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Eh kids will steal anything for fun and throw it away. I normally take mine off too

Yeah, you'd be surprised at what they'll steal. Someone once broke into my XK and since they couldn't steal it and I keep it empty of "stuff" they ended up stealing about $4 in change out of my center console. It was simultaneously maddening and funny. I know the antenna isn't that expensive but I'd rather break it due to my own stupidity and have to replace it than have to because a pimple on the butt of humanity steals it.

BonesWK
04-07-2012, 01:09 PM
well I pulled the trigger today on a 4' antenna and all the required goodies to set it up. I speant right at 100 bucks on everything (radio, mount etc.) so Im excited to have it all installed by the time im going wheeling in 2 weeks. I will have to tune it somehow, hoping some of the local wheelers around here have a meter to help me tune it.

criket
04-07-2012, 07:07 PM
well I pulled the trigger today on a 4' antenna and all the required goodies to set it up. I speant right at 100 bucks on everything (radio, mount etc.) so Im excited to have it all installed by the time im going wheeling in 2 weeks. I will have to tune it somehow, hoping some of the local wheelers around here have a meter to help me tune it.

Cool deal man! BTW, a 18 wheeler shop can tune it too. Not sure what would be easier or better but get that stuff installed and bad boy tuned!!!!

BonesWK
04-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Cool deal man! BTW, a 18 wheeler shop can tune it too. Not sure what would be easier or better but get that stuff installed and bad boy tuned!!!!

good idea, I wonder if a truckstop tunes them as well. I have one of those near me. I may just have to swing by and see what they can do when i have it all installed.

superacerc
04-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Tuning definitely is a must. (Here comes a radio lesson!) I've tuned peoples rigs for them and their ability to transmit went from 3/4 mile to 8 miles. (Thats one of the more extreme cases but nevertheless a true story).

Keeping in mind that a 27mhz AM radio (what a CB really is) at 10-12 watts (yep that's what you got to work with Limited by the FCC in 47 CFR 95.667 to 10 watts) doesnt get very far under normal conditions for a few reasons.
Reason # 1: 27 mhz is almost always under quite a bit of atmospheric noise caused mostly by the sun so a stronger signal is needed to overcome that.
Reason # 2: 12 watts AM actually is only 4 watts out because there is a carrier(the center signal that propigates the USB and LSB) that receives 4 watts, and the upper and lower sideband that make up the audio that get about 4 watts each. For you guys with an SWR meter you should have noticed that you have somewhere between 10-15 watts reading total power which is the sum of the three parts of the AM band.

Note: Some CB radio boxes are misleading people by saying that you get 7 powerful watts of audio with their radio. Some think that that means transmit power but actually only means that you have 7 superb watts powering the speaker on the radio nothing more than that.

Now if you don't tune it up really nice some of the power gets reflected back down the ground side to your radio and vehicle chassis cause it can't efficiently leave the antenna (at the right part of the SIN wave). Not only bad cause you lose part of those 4 watts but it can also cause Radiation burns if it gets back to your radio (usually coming from the metal mic mount button on the back of the mic thats also part of the ground system in the radio).

Good luck on the tuning!