PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Question

BonesWK
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
my radio stuff should be here by the end of the week. Will me installing my CB and antenna etc. without tuning it initially mess up my radio?

Ive read some things online that say if I install it before tuning it it could fry my radio?? O if I install without tuning it, and press the transmit button the radio could fry?

Im planning on getting it tuned, Im just asking initially will me installing it cause issues?

Matt
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Check to make sure the antenna is setup/grounded correctly with a multimeter and you'll be fine. If its shorted out that will cause an issue.

Proper tuning is more important for daily/continuous use..... for once a month trail riding you wont damage your radio. Remember CB/HAM stuff is like a cult for people..... if you read their forums it'll probably scare the crap out of you thinking you're doing everything wrong (on "their level" all of our radio setups are probably done incorrectly)

Matt
04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
If it makes you feel better.... this is the first antenna I've actually tuned (and I could barely adjust it). Almost wish I didn't spend the extra $$$ for the swr meter and tunable tip antenna since its really no different than my previous setup.

BonesWK
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Check to make sure the antenna is setup/grounded correctly with a multimeter and you'll be fine. If its shorted out that will cause an issue.

Proper tuning is more important for daily/continuous use..... for once a month trail riding you wont damage your radio. Remember CB/HAM stuff is like a cult for people..... if you read their forums it'll probably scare the crap out of you thinking you're doing everything wrong (on "their level" all of our radio setups are probably done incorrectly)

Lol thanks dude - yeah I have seen the cult thing, and damn they like to scare folks... haha.

Appreciate the insight as always Matt.

Sal-XK
04-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Mine pegs way off on the meter and it works fine no issues with good trail distance to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD