PDA

View Full Version : Did something wrong!

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 06:09 AM
I must not have put the cv in correctly. When the wheel is turned right or left on a sharp turn and under throttle it makes a sound. It sounds like when you here plastic gears slipping like on a drill or RC car. Straight line moderate turns no issues at all. So I must not of seated the cv right or something. I can't find any decent instructions or how to so some help please LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 06:30 AM
I should add I didn't remove the cage just lined the it up and slipped the cv back in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Matt
04-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Did the shaft disengage from the differential or did the CV joint separate?

If the shaft actually pulled out if the diff you'll need to take the axle nut off, line the half shaft up in a straight line and tap it With a soft blow hammer to reseat the splines

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 07:46 AM
The shaft came out of the cv at the wheel

Matt
04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
If you jack the front up and turn the wheel can you spin the tire by hand to duplicate the noise?

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
If you jack the front up and turn the wheel can you spin the tire by hand to duplicate the noise?

Haven't tried that just noticed the noise yesterday and confirmed I could reproduce it today.

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Just tried it and it didn't make any noise I can only move the wheel a little bit so the axle is engaged at least.

Lt_JWS
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I'd do what Matt suggested, take the hub nut loose and hit the axle with a dead blow hammer....

07JeepXK
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Thats an easy fix. Do what Matt said!

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I will I need to grab a larger socket to get the hub bolt off. I'll wait for some other parts to come in and do it all at once then. I never considered that I pulled it away from the diff.

valpacer
04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
All above is good Sal. Does sound like the clip has popped out of the diff end and isnt fully seated. Although they usually pop in very easily.

Dave

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm not looking forward tearing it all down again but now that I've done it once it should be easier this time around I hope LOL. So many have posted they couldn't get the half shaft out of the diff without prying and a whack I must of yanked that arm pretty hard I guess LOL

Matt
04-11-2012, 04:04 PM
It's all about what position the clip is in when you're trying to get it out. If the clip is on the top of the shaft and hanging down so most of the clip is in the groove, they pop out easy. But if the clip is hanging off the bottom, then there's a lot of material sticking out of the groove that holds the axle in place and takes a lot of force to remove. So if you're ever trying to remove an axle and its being stubborn, push it in and rotate it 180 degrees and try again.

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Lucky me then uh LOL So How hard do I have to hit it to put it back in? Any tricks to knowing I have it seated all the way?

Matt
04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
You'll know when it's seated.. it'll pop in and then feel solid when you're hitting it. I always give it a few hits, rotate 90 degrees, a few more hits, rotate again, hit again, etc, etc until i know its in.

Might as well try pulling it all the way out first just to inspect the splines, make sure nothing got chewed up that would prevent it from going back in all the way.

Sal-XK
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Ok I'll give that a try thanks.