PDA

View Full Version : Road trip to St.Louis!

Matt
04-16-2012, 08:38 AM
The high-school robotics team that I mentor did great at the regional championship this past weekend. We've earned an invitation to the world championships in St.Louis at the end of the month.

Anyone around that area? Advice on places to stay/transportation?

Sal-XK
04-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Ya don't go LOL you going at the end of this month or in May?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Matt
04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Leaving next Tuesday

cprokopf
04-16-2012, 01:22 PM
You're leaving alot of room for interpretation. What exactly are you wanting to do while in St. Louis? I live near downtown and I can give good suggestions on events, places to go, and restaurants.

Matt
04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
we're going there for a robotics competition so I wont have any free time.

Are there particular areas that are better than others that I should look for hotels? Is public transportation good or should we plan on carpooling with the students? Stuff like that. None of us have been to St.Louis and we need to make arrangements ASAP (might be getting a bus for the kids)

Holaday07 4.7
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
No **** eh? Congrats on the win for the team. I am in the St. Louis area, are you wanting to stay downtown? Where is the competitinion?

Yes there are good and bad parts of STL. Public Transit is shady IMHO, how old are the kids? If they are younger than High School, I wouldnt want my kid on it.

Matt
04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks. Actually not sure where exactly the competition is... lol better look that up.

Kids are all in high-school... mostly seniors. Haha and most of them are ~6' and don't look like the average nerd.

We're actually talking about staying outside of the city to save some money.

Holaday07 4.7
04-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I would look out by me then. St. Charles, St. Peters, Ofallon Area. All have direct access to the major highways, and there are lots of places to eat as well. Let me know where the competition is, adn if you need any help let me know.

Sal your an ass btw!

Are you driving the Jeep?

cprokopf
04-16-2012, 02:59 PM
I would use priceline.com to get a couple rooms downtown. Everyone I know that comes into St. Louis usually stay in a 4 star hotel in the downtown area for less than $75 per night. The downtown area will at least allow you to see the stadium, the arch, and offers alot of restaurant options.

St. Louis public transportation is the worst! I would suggest carpooling. It will save time and frustration.

Sal-XK
04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Sal your an ass btw!

LOL what I do hahahahaaha St Louis :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NeilSmith
04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
no offense to anyone who may live in St. Louis, but Ive been there three times. Once in 1978, once in 2000 or so, and again in 2003. Cant say that I cared much for the place. I did go up in the arch and it was pretty cool and we went to the zoo, that was ok. But as far as the city itself goes, Ive seen better. Downtown looks to have had a lot of work and cleaning up and is probably ok but once we got out of downtown, ugh.

Holaday07 4.7
04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Wow a bunch of haters!! There are sides to every city that are not appealing to everyone, but I love it here (specifically West of the city). There are some awesome places to visit in and arround St. Louis. Thanks for hating on my hometown everyone. Buttholes lol

Sal-XK
04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
It's in the north so my reflex is to pick on it LOL I had a good time when I went there except trying to find a decent beer was kinda of hard to do :)

Holaday07 4.7
04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
It's in the north so my reflex is to pick on it LOL I had a good time when I went there except trying to find a decent beer was kinda of hard to do :)

Techincally we were in the South Sal, but I wont hold that against you, lol. I think we fell in a border state, but were catagorized as a Confederate State. Maybe too Yankee for you sir

Good Beer here, eh tough to come by. We have some micros, but nothing like you all do

NeilSmith
04-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Wow a bunch of haters!! There are sides to every city that are not appealing to everyone, but I love it here (specifically West of the city). There are some awesome places to visit in and arround St. Louis. Thanks for hating on my hometown everyone. Buttholes lol
LOL !! Yall feel free to bash my hometown of Tampa, Fl if you wish. :)

NeilSmith
04-16-2012, 05:05 PM
aww hell ! Dont even start a north/ south discussion. :) It definitely wont end well. LOL

Holaday07 4.7
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
LOL !! Yall feel free to bash my hometown of Tampa, Fl if you wish. :)

I gotta defend the home turf!! No matter what is actually there.

Sal-XK
04-16-2012, 05:25 PM
We kinda started heading off topic LOL. I find with most cities staying right downtown is safe and gets iffy when you start getting further out to save money in that case go to a suburb like was suggested.

Holaday07 4.7
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
We kinda started heading off topic LOL. I find with most cities staying right downtown is safe and gets iffy when you start getting further out to save money in that case go to a suburb like was suggested.

Oh yeah the original topic...

Matt
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
It's at the St. Louis Convention Center and Edward Jones Dome.

HueyPilotVN
04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I lived in St Charles and Harvester for many years. My first Ophthalmology practice was in St. Charles. I designed and built our building over 30 years ago. It is on the north side of I-70 about a mile from the bridge between 94 and the first exit west of the bridge. The practice name is St. Charles Eye Center.

Matt
04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Oh and for any of you locals... the even is free and open to the public. So come check it out! Shoot me a PM and ill give you my cell #.

Here's the schedule. My team competes in the FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition). There's also the FLL and FTC going on at the same time; they're the lower level/ younger kids competitions.
http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/first-championship-schedule

cprokopf
04-17-2012, 05:23 AM
If you stay downtown you can walk to the Convention center or pickup a cab for a few bucks. Avoids driving to and from the event all weekend.

Gotterdid
04-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I always stayed at the Candlewood Suites across from the Rams training facility. I cant remember the name of the area. It's not too far a drive to downtown and it has full kitchen if you want to save some money cooking in the room. Its a Priority Club (Holiday Inn) hotel.

I think its Earth City... There's also a Staybridge Suites (also Priority Club) that is much nicer and not too much more money.

Matt
04-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Thanks guys. Team reserved a bus for the ride down but I'm going with one of the parents who's towing a trailer with our tools.