PDA

View Full Version : Slight Chirp sound while driving

BonesWK
04-18-2012, 05:26 AM
So i have just noticed this sound (not sure how long its been going on) that sounds like a sqeaky belt sound, but coming from my wheel. Im not sure what wheel its coming from, but its on the driver side.

It happens on straight driving, above 30 mph. Its like a chirp sound. Any thoughts on what the heck it could be? it goes away when I apply the brake.. just weird.

Matt
04-18-2012, 05:48 AM
How old are the brakes? There's a metal clip that starts contacting the rotor when the brakes get low... makes a high pitched squeak sound that usually goes away when the brakes are applied. Might have a worn out pad.

Holaday07 4.7
04-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Might want to check if there is a rock pinched in your dust shield on the brakes

Sal-XK
04-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Might want to check if there is a rock pinched in your dust shield on the brakes

That's a constant horrible sound that don't go away when the brakes are pressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BonesWK
04-18-2012, 09:11 AM
I have experienced the whole rock in the dust shield - horrible girding sound..

You know the brakes were changed about a year and a half ago, but im pretty sure they were "cheap" brake pads used. I get crazy dust on my front wheels.

at the time, it was all I could afford.:rolleyes:

07JeepXK
04-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Ceramic pads are the way to go. Im dont think you have a rock stuck in there but more or less need new pads/rotors.

Omelet
04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I have had that rock problem too. It was very annoying! I had some mud and small rocks stuck to my tires and as the wheel rotated around, the stuff that was hanging off the side of the tire was scraped off by the UCA bolt. The rocks fell straight down the spindle and squeezed between it and the back of the rotor. The rock then rotated inside of the rotor to the bottom where it was not small enough to squeeze between the rotor and the dust shield. So it just sat there grinding against the inner lip of the rotor and the dust shield. It took me forever to figure this out! Once I found the rock and pried it out the sound was gone. Later I removed the dust shields so it wouldn't happen again.

criket
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I have had that rock problem too. It was very annoying! I had some mud and small rocks stuck to my tires and as the wheel rotated around, the stuff that was hanging off the side of the tire was scraped off by the UCA bolt. The rocks fell straight down the spindle and squeezed between it and the back of the rotor. The rock then rotated inside of the rotor to the bottom where it was not small enough to squeeze between the rotor and the dust shield. So it just sat there grinding against the inner lip of the rotor and the dust shield. It took me forever to figure this out! Once I found the rock and pried it out the sound was gone. Later I removed the dust shields so it wouldn't happen again.

^I must needs do this.

Sal-XK
04-18-2012, 01:34 PM
^I must needs do this.

Mine looked to be part of the hub :( thought about cutting it out LOL

BonesWK
04-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Blah... Well it grinded or the esp/abs kicked in during braking from highway speed.. looks like brakes are going to go on this friday before i head to URE

Sal-XK
04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Blah... Well it grinded or the esp/abs kicked in during braking from highway speed.. looks like brakes are going to go on this friday before i head to URE

Make sure you check the back as well. I changed mine and my braking while in 4LO is much better now. When you going to URE again? Chris is selling his Jeep so my may trip got cancelled.

Omelet
04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Mine looked to be part of the hub :( thought about cutting it out LOL

No it is mounted in between the hub and the spindle. Remove the three bolts holding the hub on and the shield comes right off.

Sal-XK
04-18-2012, 06:22 PM
No it is mounted in between the hub and the spindle. Remove the three bolts holding the hub on and the shield comes right off.

cool thanks man!

Sal-XK
04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
moved the selling of Chris's jeep HERE (http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1807-Chris-selling-his-jeep!!!!!!)