PDA

View Full Version : Strut bolt

Sal-XK
04-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Anyone have the lower strut bolt get stuck in. My twisted a little when I knocked the bolt in a bit. I could twist the bolt but couldn't get it to come out.

Matt
04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
It takes very little force to make the bolt nearly impossible to get out. If you have them, put some spring compressors on the coil so that the top of the strut is not contacting anything thereby putting the strut assembly in a completely neutral state (as it relates to the bolt). At this point, the only force on the bolt will be the weight of the strut assembly.... lifting/wiggling the strut assembly and a screw driver or pry bar on the head of the bolt has always worked for me- and that's on 3 different northeast vehicles, none of which were new, without fail.

Sal-XK
04-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Ok I'll try again but no spring compressor on hand LOL I almost had it out the first time but I think I see what was adding some pressure to the strut. I'm just trying to drop the LCA to have room for the ball joint.

Matt
04-22-2012, 09:02 AM
A cheap $15-$20 set of compressors comes in really handy on these vehicle. May be worth your time running to a store and picking some up.

A trick I do is to put the compressors on the spring while everything is installed, then use a floor jack under the LCA to compress the suspension in small increments while I hand tighten the compresses. It takes about 10 minutes, but saves boat loads of time later.

LWM
04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Your local auto parts store might have a tool loan program and you can get the spring compressor for free for the day.

07JeepXK
04-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Make sure u put never sieze on those strut fork bolts before you put them back in. Not so much on the threads but the rest of the bolt that sits inside the bushings for the lower control arm. Rust forms inside and practically welds it together.

Sal-XK
04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys I got it out I forgot to release the UCA bolt so that helped a lot LOL

Matt
04-22-2012, 10:05 AM
That'd do it!!!

Sal-XK
04-22-2012, 10:06 AM
That'd do it!!!

LOL :eek:

Sal-XK
04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Ok all back together now except the passenger side brakes. It also helps putting the ball joint in to disconnect the tie rod LOL