PDA

View Full Version : Body armor

Sal-XK
04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I saw this on FB and it got the wheels turning in my head :) and I'm a little bored LOL I have some extra sheet metal laying around so thought I might try this. In the back corner there are straight body lines I could follow so no complicated bends needed and its a slight curve towards the tail light no big deal. Was thinking of using rivets at first but now I'm thinking nutserts instead. Why you guys think just let it out don't hold back. The XK has so many straight lines covering the easy to damage spots seems easy enough.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/04/IMAGE_7469925D7A884A83B3067603D5E7408CJP-1.jpg

LWM
04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I have a cardboard one in the garge, would like to see what you come up with. my concern was how to attach it to the Commander.

Sal-XK
04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a cardboard one in the garge, would like to see what you come up with. my concern was how to attach it to the Commander.

I don't think there is any reversible way to attach it to the XK. So you can't just take it off to sell the jeep like the sliders or a skid. I'm pretty sure this will have to be a no turning back mod

07JeepXK
04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't think there is any reversible way to attach it to the XK. So you can't just take it off to sell the jeep like the sliders or a skid. I'm pretty sure this will have to be a no turning back mod

Kind of like my snorkel mod...lol

LWM
04-26-2012, 04:13 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking. You would have to be willing to drill holes and make it permanent.

cprokopf
04-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Very cool mod that I have noticed for a while now. I agree that is has to be a permanent mod with not turning back. Makes me wish I still had my Wranglers when I see mods like this.

I also called a few small shops I found online about making different variations for rock rails. The shops I found all built older Cherokee gear but not WK (or XK) stuff. I'll let everyone know if they respond with any ideas.

Sal-XK
04-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Very cool mod that I have noticed for a while now. I agree that is has to be a permanent mod with not turning back. Makes me wish I still had my Wranglers when I see mods like this.

I also called a few small shops I found online about making different variations for rock rails. The shops I found all built older Cherokee gear but not WK (or XK) stuff. I'll let everyone know if they respond with any ideas.

Your best bet is getting the sliders from SA. You can't beat the price and they were designed by people who know are jeep better then anyone and I put them threw hell and there perfect.

stites-xk
04-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Your best bet is getting the sliders from SA. You can't beat the price and they were designed by people who know are jeep better then anyone and I put them threw hell and there perfect. I would agree with sal on the sliders. I love mine I did put them through hell and back. Now there just a Little loose, but I might weld them on since I'm going to own my xk tell it dies

stites-xk
04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. You would have to be willing to drill holes and make it permanent. you could always use bondo and reprimer and repaint if you really wanted to.

Sal-XK
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I would agree with sal on the sliders. I love mine I did put them through hell and back. Now there just a Little loose, but I might weld them on since I'm going to own my xk tell it dies

What did you do drive off a cliff LOL you know there suppose to flex a little bit when you come down on them right or are they loose like you can move them by hand

stites-xk
04-26-2012, 05:33 PM
What did you do drive off a cliff LOL you know there suppose to flex a little bit when you come down on them right or are they loose like you can move them by hand I missed judge the fall on the passenger side and smashed it hard. But if it wasn't for the slider I would have been spending lots of cash to fix that side and yes I can move it by hand

Sal-XK
04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
I missed judge the fall on the passenger side and smashed it hard. But if it wasn't for the slider I would have been spending lots of cash to fix that side and yes I can move it by hand

LMAO man that must of been one heck of a drop!

Sal-XK
04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Other ones are made out of 11 gauge steel not sure I want to go that thick. Was thinking 16 would be thick enough what ya guys think.

stites-xk
04-26-2012, 05:51 PM
yeah I puckered up a Little bit. Lol. Well you know how it goes bigger lift tires and armor and up goes the confidence level. Plus the mind set I can do that!

NeilSmith
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Sal, you say " sheet metal ". To me , that means the stuff that the body panels are made of, thin stuff. Im sure you mean some sheet steel with some thickness to it, right ? Nutserts are the way to go. You could use double sided tape. LOL !! On second thought, please dont do that ! Nutserts and stainless hardware. It would be pretty expensive to reverse though. My concern is if you smack a tree with it, the steel plate may not bend but the quarter or fender isnt strong enough to keep from bending. So you will still suffer damage to the body probably. Now, it may keep the tree away from the side glass or a tailight edge or something like that. I like it though. Do some careful measuring and it could look pretty killer. How would you cut the stuff ? Plasma cutter ? The water jet that Jon uses is the tool to use but we individuals dont have access to a water jet. What are you thinking ?

Sal-XK
04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
No I'm talking steel but the damage part is why I was thinking of using 16 gauge so it has some flex to it. Nutserts are what I would use for sure to put something like this on. I would use my bandsaw to cut it that's all I have but it does cut threw metal like butter. Not sure yet how I would cut the gas cap out :(

NeilSmith
04-27-2012, 04:51 PM
drill a hole with holesaw bit, remove band saw blade and insert through hole, reattach band saw blade and cut out. gravy

Sal-XK
04-27-2012, 05:13 PM
drill a hole with holesaw bit, remove band saw blade and insert through hole, reattach band saw blade and cut out. gravy

LOL ya I'll pass :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvilJager
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
I like the idea. Ive talked about it with jon a while nack but i guess hes neen busy on the bumpers and sliders. Which makes since b.c. theres more market for them. Not everyone is willing to put holes in the body and replace bumpers like i am lol

LWM
05-04-2012, 08:57 PM
We are making the Commander quarter panel guard when I get back from Moab, not enough time to make it before I go.

EvilJager
05-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Eta for the wk?

LWM
05-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Eta for the wk?

Need a WK in Phoenix to test fit on, I will make the owner a good deal :) like always

EvilJager
05-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Lol that doesnt do me any good considering im in maryland haha i cant believe the closest person willing to lend their wk is Nathan! This is an outrage haha

AJeepZJ
05-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Need a WK in Phoenix to test fit on, I will make the owner a good deal :) like always

I'm going to find you one.

LWM
05-05-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm going to find you one.

Fantastic!

Omelet
05-06-2012, 08:43 AM
This is something I have considered. Not a bad idea for the XK but not sure about the WK. There is just not much of a quarter panel on there. The corner of the bumper, fender, and taillight is what would take the abuse. If you wanted to make corner guards for the WK then you would have to incorporate the fender into it which would just complicate the design because of all the angles. But that's just the conclusion I came to. Nutserts are definitely the way to go though, seems to be what all the good companies do.

AJeepZJ
05-06-2012, 09:03 AM
I started talking with Sal about another idea that could provide SOME protection for the WK's, while also making the XK even more... impervious, lol.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/roundopeningperforatedmetalmesh2-1.jpg https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/05/roundopeningperforatedmetalmesh1-1.jpg

Since the WK IS more curved, particularly in the rear, than the XK, I thought it would be a good idea, to at least provide some protection for that window.

This would be my approach, and it has not been something I've seen on any civilian vehicle. Ideally you'd create an area that is an exact shape of the window, however you'd compensate with about an extra 1.5" so that it can be affixed to the body. This type of metal is little thinner than i'd invision so i'd say 12 gauge would work fine. Weld a trim to the perimeter that cleans up the look, and you've got some decent protection for those rear windows. The holes in the mesh itself will still provide enough visibility to see through. Even magnetic mounts could work as an alternative, for people who just want to temporarily mount them to the vehicle while they are wheeling.

As far as the fenders, I think the WK just need aftermarket fenders made out of polyethylene or some high-density plastic that can take impact. Their installation should be versatile enough to be installed on top of the already present stock fenders that slightly bulge out.

For the XK the window protection, in conjunction with the quarter panel is even more advantageous because that flat surface window back there is a lot more subject to contact than the WK's.

comments? criticisms?

Sal-XK
05-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I like the idea the mounting system would be the hard part.

Omelet
05-07-2012, 09:30 PM
If you are going to go that far to protect the window, why not just get it replaced with high density plexiglass like they use on race rigs? Bye bye broken glass and it would save some top weight!

Sal-XK
05-08-2012, 05:08 AM
If you are going to go that far to protect the window, why not just get it replaced with high density plexiglass like they use on race rigs? Bye bye broken glass and it would save some top weight!

True but you loose the cool factor :D

valpacer
05-10-2012, 03:17 AM
Ill Take a set AJ!

For the guards on my truck we are looking at running a tube from the saguaro to the 4 guard rails. Also running a plate on the body behind with small round bar joining the plates on the face of the guards to the tube. Obviously a 2 piece for the rear doors. See how it goes!

AJeepZJ
05-11-2012, 01:47 PM
Ill Take a set AJ!

For the guards on my truck we are looking at running a tube from the saguaro to the 4 guard rails. Also running a plate on the body behind with small round bar joining the plates on the face of the guards to the tube. Obviously a 2 piece for the rear doors. See how it goes!

:D :D