PDA

View Full Version : QD-I Question

madrock
05-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Sorry for all of the newb questions. My 4WD Commander has the 3.7L engine which I presume is the QD-I system. From my research, that means I have:

C200F - Front Axle (1.5 quarts)
C213R - Rear Axle (2.5 quarts)
NV140 - Transfer Case (1.4 pints or ~ 0.75 quart)

Is that correct?

I found conflicting info regarding the need to use a friction modifier. Is it needed, especially if I use Mobil 1? If so, do I put that in before the gear lube? I also read about needing a gasket when changing the differential fluids. Is that necessary, or can I wrap the threads in teflon tape?

Thanks!

AJeepZJ
05-02-2012, 01:57 PM
You have Quadratrac-1 - your axle and xcase info is correct.... you do NOT need friction additive. Just make sure the fluid you are using is compliant to Chrysler standards. I'm not sure what you mean about requiring a gasket to change the diff fluid. I'm believe that is a QD2, requirement.

madrock
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
You have Quadratrac-1 - your axle and xcase info is correct.... you do NOT need friction additive. Just make sure the fluid you are using is compliant to Chrysler standards. I'm not sure what you mean about requiring a gasket to change the diff fluid. I'm believe that is a QD2, requirement.

Thanks for the clarification! I saw the gasket come up in another thread and could not figure out if it was QD-I or QD-II.

DetroitMarauder
05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
To clarify, what AJeepZJ said is you have a QT-I not the QD-I or QD-II

madrock
05-02-2012, 02:19 PM
To clarify, what AJeepZJ said is you have a QT-I not the QD-I or QD-II

Ah, somehow I got QT mixed up with QD.

Thanks!

hoaxci5
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Maybe the gasket talk is about removing the cover and needing either a gasket or RTV to seal it back up.

So either you have to pump out the old fluid, or remove the cover and seal it back up. No teflon tape because the fill hole is just plugged with a rubber stopper.

AJeepZJ
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe the gasket talk is about removing the cover and needing either a gasket or RTV to seal it back up.

So either you have to pump out the old fluid, or remove the cover and seal it back up. No teflon tape because the fill hole is just plugged with a rubber stopper.

ahhh!! makes sense.. the diff cover. Removing the diff cover is a little more thorough, IMO. I didn't know you could use RTV to seal it back up. Is there a specific RTV you use for it. Apparently there are different ones.

07JeepXK
05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I have been using the RTV you can get from your local auto parts store that is made just for gear oil. Never had a leak and have been using it since day 1 with mobil 1 (75w140). I now have 105,500 miles. No friction additive is needed in your Jeep. The only guys who need friction additive are the ones that have QD II and it says QUADRA-DRIVE II just below the gear shifter in the area of the 4 low t-shaped handle. Mostly HEMI Jeeps and a select few with the 4.7 Have QD II

Matt
05-02-2012, 05:13 PM
GREEN RTV Gasket maker for differentials.

Follow the directions on the back of the package. A lot of people make 2 common mistakes... they either:
1) wait too long to put the cover back on, thinking they're doing a good thing by letting the RTV start trying first or
2) immediately torque the bolts and squeeze out all of the gasket maker

AJeepZJ
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM
So for people like me who have not used RTV in the cover... About how long are we waiting to seal it... Eould you recommend applying the RTV and then hand torqueing the bolts, and then torqueing to spec after 10 mins.

Matt
05-02-2012, 05:40 PM
So for people like me who have not used RTV in the cover... About how long are we waiting to seal it... Eould you recommend applying the RTV and then hand torqueing the bolts... Etc

They spell it out pretty well on the back of the RTV package... but it basically goes like this (and FYI, im not a fan of RTV for sealing... but when used 'properly' i havent seen any issues):

1) Both surfaces must be clean/dry
2) Apply RTV to cover, 1/8-1/4" bead size, and around all bolt holes
3) Put cover on within 5 minutes (the sooner the better so it starts bonding with BOTH surfaces)
4) HAND tighten bolts JUST enough to see the RTV squeezing out around the perimeter
5) Wait at least an hour, then turn bolts another 1/4-1/2 rotation

For step 5 I usually wait a few hours, or overnight if possible, and then torque the bolts to spec (which usually is close to 1/2 rotation).

AJeepZJ
05-02-2012, 07:08 PM
So when you change ur stuff ur not really putting fluid in it for a couple hours or the next day

Matt
05-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Exactly. I either do my diff first then do oil change/rotation/drink beer/etc, or I do it all in the evening and first thing in the morning I'll torque the bolts and then fill it up.

07JeepXK
05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I have replaced the rear differential fluid in my XK about 10 times now and have always used RTV. I clean the differential cover and the differential housing. I apply an even bead all the way around the differential housing and put the cover right on. I torque the bolts by hand, I dont need a torque wrench for those bolts to know how tight they need to be. Then within an hour I fill it with new gear oil. I have never once had a leak nor have I had any issues using rtv. If done right rtv is better then a regular gasket.

Matt
05-03-2012, 03:23 AM
10 times in a 2007? Well yeah if you take the cover off and reapply more than once a year you'll never have RTV problems since they usually take some more time to develop. :p

07JeepXK
05-03-2012, 06:11 AM
10 times in a 2007? Well yeah if you take the cover off and reapply more than once a year you'll never have RTV problems since they usually take some more time to develop. :p

Yeah I have receipts for 10 different times I swapped out the fluid and just hit 105,000 miles. I just did the 10th fluid swap a little over a month ago when I replaced the rear wheel bearing/hub assembly and axle seals . I dont know if you remember but back in 2009 literally a month after I did a fluid swap i sunk the rear end of the jeep in a creek up past the breather tube. Had to replace the charcoal canister due to it being filled with water and also has to drain the gas tank. So that was an unexpected fluid swap. Also I think when I got back from one of the trips to Rausch Creek i swapped the fluid cause we played in a lot of water holes. I usually change the diff fluid every 15,000 miles. If I recall correctly thats the maintenance schedule.

AJeepZJ
05-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Thats crazy... You've probably easily spent in fluids what I spend in gas in nearly 10 months. Excluding road trips., haha.

madrock
05-03-2012, 07:08 AM
I ended up doing the rear differential last evening. I really wish there were separate drain/fill holes. Having to get a pump to drain and another pump to fill was a PITA.

I ended up going with Royal Purple 75w140. The stores near me were all out of Mobil 1 75w140, and I couldn't get a hold of the Amsoil reseller near me. And of course, after I bought the Royal Purple, I found it cheaper online with free shipping:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/royalpurple-maxgear-75w140-gearoil.html

I just had to register my phantom Mustang :)

07JeepXK
05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Thats crazy... You've probably easily spent in fluids what I spend in gas in nearly 10 months. Excluding road trips., haha.

You must get some crazy gas mileage!

criket
05-03-2012, 09:27 AM

AJ's gas mileage is sooo good, that he has to change out the gas in the fuel tank at every oil change to keep it from breaking down.

07JeepXK
05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
AJ's gas mileage is sooo good, that he has to change out the gas in the fuel tank at every oil change to keep it from breaking down.

His Jeep must be parked 24/7 haha...gives a whole new meaning to "web wheeling"

AJeepZJ
05-03-2012, 04:20 PM

lol.. no... I just lived 2 miles from work. Or I could take the bus, or... walk, run, bike... lol