PDA

View Full Version : Considering Upper Control Arms

LWM
05-03-2012, 01:03 PM
If someone has a set laying around that they are not using I would be more than happy to throw them up on a bench and see what we can come up with.

07JeepXK
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Are you referring to oem LCA's?

LWM
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Are you referring to oem LCA's?

I need a set of those to cut up and a set of the new ones for measurement, I might be able to use my replacement ones but the ball joints are no longer available.

07JeepXK
05-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I need a set of those to cut up and a set of the new ones for measurement, I might be able to use my replacement ones but the ball joints are no longer available.

I'm confused at what your trying to do. Are you planning on making Lower Control Arms? Or did you misunderstand my last question and are in need of an old set of Upper Control Arms?

LWM
05-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm confused at what your trying to do. Are you planning on making Lower Control Arms? Or did you misunderstand my last question and are in need of an old set of Upper Control Arms?

I want to get my hands on a unwanted set of uppers that I can build off of. It sounds like there is still a need for an even better UCA then what is currently available.

07JeepXK
05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Ok, now were tracking on the same page. I've got a pair of upper control arms sitting on my garage floor.

LWM
05-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Ok, now were tracking on the same page. I've got a pair of upper control arms sitting on my garage floor.

Let me know what you need for them and what improvements you would like to see on a completed unit. Maybe I can make something up and send you the first unit as a tester.

07JeepXK
05-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Let me know what you need for them and what improvements you would like to see on a completed unit. Maybe I can make something up and send you the first unit as a tester.

Just send me your address.

Omelet
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Hey Jon I would love a set with a 1.5" uniball instead of a 1"!!! Also maybe incorporate the OEM rubber bushings instead of urethane. Oh and use threaded ended so you an adjust the length!

LWM
05-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Just send me your address.

PM Sent

07JeepXK
05-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Thanks, ill try to get them out in the next couple days.

LWM
05-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Hey Jon I would love a set with a 1.5" uniball instead of a 1"!!! Also maybe incorporate the OEM rubber bushings instead of urethane. Oh and use threaded ended so you an adjust the length!

All great ideas, open to any others and then we will look at this after the Ultimate Jeep Summit!

Matt
05-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Jon, I know I'm gonna need UCAs soon and based on what I've seen, I'm inclined to order the RRO version.

If you want to measure a set of the RRO arms you could order a set, take measurements, and then ill buy them off of you. After I install them ill be able to report back on alignment parameters, fit, etc and you'll have more info to base your design off of.

LWM
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Jon, I know I'm gonna need UCAs soon and based on what I've seen, I'm inclined to order the RRO version.

If you want to measure a set of the RRO arms you could order a set, take measurements, and then ill buy them off of you. After I install them ill be able to report back on alignment parameters, fit, etc and you'll have more info to base your design off of.

I am interested. Sent you a PM

Cobrakillerta
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm definitely interested in these as well as I've been eyeing up the JBA and RRO units but, as mentioned neither one of them are perfect. Your stuff has always caught my eye and seems to always have what I'm looking for...I'd definitely be in that first group to purchase your UCA's and be a 'tester' if you need that as well. Here's to hoping these are available soon!

LWM
07-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Although this is something I wanted to get out soon, it has had to take a back seat until we find a welder that we feel comfortable making this type of product. The last thing any of us want is a bad weld to fail in a UCA.

07JeepXK
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm definitely interested in these as well as I've been eyeing up the JBA and RRO units but, as mentioned neither one of them are perfect. Your stuff has always caught my eye and seems to always have what I'm looking for...I'd definitely be in that first group to purchase your UCA's and be a 'tester' if you need that as well. Here's to hoping these are available soon!

There is only one issue with the JBA and that's the clearance between the arm itself and the coil. I've been beating the piss out of my jeep the last few weeks and have had no issues with them. The RRO UCA's don't have that issue and should be perfect! What did you hear bad about them??

Cobrakillerta
07-12-2012, 05:50 PM
There is only one issue with the JBA and that's the clearance between the arm itself and the coil. I've been beating the piss out of my jeep the last few weeks and have had no issues with them. The RRO UCA's don't have that issue and should be perfect! What did you hear bad about them??

Well, basically it just doesn't seem like RRO has the best of reputations and especially not so much in the customer service department. I know Steel Armadillo would put full R&D and a great attention to detail into the product...Plus, Super Sliders and UCA's from Steel would be a nice first purchase for me :)

DetroitMarauder
07-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Their customer service is definitely lacking but most of their products have pretty good reviews. I have their lift and it was made incredibly well but their shocks were a huge disappointment.

07JeepXK
07-12-2012, 07:38 PM
All shocks that come with the spacer lifts are pretty much junk!!

DetroitMarauder
07-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I didn't think they would fail within 5k miles especially when the roughest thing I went over in that short time were train tracks!!

valpacer
07-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Will keep an eye on this Jon, I definitely need a set, and all the ideas here are great. With your customer service and input to the community I would much rather spend the money with you. I still cant get a response out of RRO.

Cobrakillerta
07-13-2012, 01:40 AM
Will keep an eye on this Jon, I definitely need a set, and all the ideas here are great. With your customer service and input to the community I would much rather spend the money with you. I still cant get a response out of RRO.

Ditto, I'm right there with you on this

07JeepXK
07-13-2012, 05:04 AM
I didn't think they would fail within 5k miles especially when the roughest thing I went over in that short time were train tracks!!

Most of the spacer lifts come with hydraulic shocks shocks which really aren't that good at all. That's why I like the OME lift because their shocks are nitrogen. Even the standard shocks that come with the 4 inch BDS are hydraulic.

Not sure if your interested but one of these days I'll be selling my JBA UCA's. I want the RRO UCA's eventually.

LWM
07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
We had plans to put these out this summer and another member here was helping but when I lost my welder I had to put that project on hold. I can live with a bumper weld crack (not that it would happen) and make it right, but if an UCA breaks and someone gets injured I could not accept that so until I can make a perfect set I have to wait. I cannot believe how hard it is to find a quality welder in the Phoenix market who does not need a job or a side job.