PDA

View Full Version : DTC P0524 - Low Oil Pressure

GPintheMitten
05-23-2012, 05:10 AM
My Check Engine Light came on yesterday. I did the key dance this morning and it is a DTC P0524. Which indicates Low Oil Pressure. Apparently Chrysler has had problems with false readings.

So is there any easy way of determining if this is false or not? I usually take it to my dealer but I have to head out of town today.

Matt
05-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Oil pressure sending units are normally $15-$20 and easy to replace.... first thing I'd do is replace it.

Also keep an eye on engine temp. Lack of oil will cause temps to skyrocket.

GPintheMitten
05-23-2012, 03:32 PM
The check engine light is no longer on. Temp was normal for my 100 mile trip to the cabin. I'm due for an oil change so I will check it out when I get back home next week.

Matt
05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
The check engine light is no longer on. Temp was normal for my 100 mile trip to the cabin. I'm due for an oil change so I will check it out when I get back home next week.

That may actually cause it....

Set Condition: The engine oil pressure never reaches the calibrated specification to allow the MDS activation.

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC
NOTE: Make sure that the engine oil is at the proper level. Also, check the customers oil change history to make sure that the oil is being changed at the correct intervals and that the proper oil viscosity is being used.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, read DTCs.
Is the DTC active at this time?
Yes >> Go To 2
No >> Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

2. ENGINE OIL/ENGINE MECHANICAL
NOTE: The following items must be considered before determining the cause of this DTC. Failure to do so may lead to misdiagnosis.
² ENGINE MECHANICAL TOLERANCES OUT OF SPECIFICATION
² ENGINE OIL PRESSURE OUT OF SPECIFICATION
² LOW ENGINE OIL
² OIL DIRTY OR DETERIORATED (Lack of scheduled oil changes)
² CORRECT VISCOSITY
² ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATED (i.e., coolant and/or fuel)
If any of the above conditions are found, repair as necessary.
Were any of the above conditions present?
Yes >> Repair as necessary.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
No >> Go To 3

3. ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
Turn the ignition off.
Connect the C2 PCM harness connector.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With a scan tool, monitor the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor voltage.
Connect a jumper wire between the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit and the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.
NOTE: Engine Oil Pressure voltage should change from approximately 4.5 volts to less than 0.5 of a volt.
Is the voltage reading within the listed specification when the jumper wire is installed?
Yes >> Remove the Engine Oil Pressure sensor and ensure the oil passage/port is free from any blockage. If OK, replace the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor.
No >> Go To 4
NOTE: Remove the jumper wire before continuing.

4. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the C1 PCM harness connector.
CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller Special Tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.
Measure the resistance of the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit from the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
Yes >> Go To 5
No >> Repair the excessive resistance in the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.

5. (G6) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
Measure the resistance between ground and the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit in the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector.
Is the resistance below 100 ohms?
Yes >> Repair the short to ground in the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.
No >> Go To 6

6. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (F855) 5–VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
Measure the resistance of the (F855) 5-volt Supply circuit from the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.
Yes >> Go To 7
No >> Repair the excessive resistance in the (F855) 5-volt Supply circuit.

7. (F855) 5-VOLT SUPPLY SHORTED TO GROUND
Measure the resistance between ground and the (F855) 5-volt Supply circuit in the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector.
Is the resistance below 100 ohms?
Yes >> Repair the short to ground in the (F855) 5-volt Supply circuit.
No >> Go To 8

8. EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
Measure the resistance of the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit from the Engine Oil Pressure Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.
Yes >> Go To 9
No >> Repair the excessive resistance in the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit.

9. PCM
NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.
Were there any problems found?
Yes >> Repair as necessary.
No >> Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.

GPintheMitten
05-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks Matt.