PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism?

AJeepZJ
06-17-2012, 09:10 AM
So washed my Jeep today... when I was done - I noticed I had three small chips in both my passenger side cargo, and passenger side rear windows. I also have what appears to be 3 dents on top of the Jeep just in front of my sunroof (one is now starting to rust a little). The windows can easily be repaired with a resin so I have no concerns there. And they are small enough to not be seen beyond 12-15ft. The damage above has my particular concern. It could probably be buffed but.. one particular dent would still stand out. There are seemingly 'logical' explanations for each of these... but I can't be certain and so I need your input.

a couple weeks ago I got stuck in a mud/gravel ditch. My roommate said I was slinging the gravel hard enough for them to back up away from my vehicle... (could this explain the coincidental THREE knicks in both of those windows?). Also the damage on the roof - APPEARS like i was trying to drive under something but couldn't make it - but I can't ever recall actually doing anything like that.

In any case, IF all of this is in fact vandalism -it would have occurred in my neighborhood. at work or anywhere I go I always park away from everyone and in a way where I can see my vehicle while away. So, if this did happen in my neighborhood - I need to know what steps I can take to prevent that.

and now... pics
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/06/DSC04569-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/06/DSC04570-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/06/DSC04571-1.jpg
aj

NeilSmith
06-17-2012, 09:29 AM
I would say the chips in the glass are from rocks / debris, wether from your incident being stuck or just from wheeling or simple road debris. The roof dents do look as though you were moving forward when the roof line made contact with something. Could it have been a tree branch while wheeling ? Chances are that its not from vandalism as its too far up to easily reach. If someone wants to do something to a car they usually just go down the side right at hand level. So, now it needs to be fixed. Yeah, i would have the glass repaired as you would a star in the windshield. It may very well hide it good enough. For the roof, I would go the paintless dent repair ( " PDR " in the body shop world ) route. I have seen amazing results from some very talented guys doing this, complete hail jobs where the damage completely disappears. They will have to drop the headliner to get to it but it can be cheaper and easier than repainting the entire roof. If the paint is scratched through and buffing wont fix it then it may have to be repainted anyway.

AJeepZJ
06-17-2012, 09:41 AM
I would say the chips in the glass are from rocks / debris, wether from your incident being stuck or just from wheeling or simple road debris. The roof dents do look as though you were moving forward when the roof line made contact with something. Could it have been a tree branch while wheeling ? Chances are that its not from vandalism as its too far up to easily reach. If someone wants to do something to a car they usually just go down the side right at hand level. So, now it needs to be fixed. Yeah, i would have the glass repaired as you would a star in the windshield. It may very well hide it good enough. For the roof, I would go the paintless dent repair ( " PDR " in the body shop world ) route. I have seen amazing results from some very talented guys doing this, complete hail jobs where the damage completely disappears. They will have to drop the headliner to get to it but it can be cheaper and easier than repainting the entire roof. If the paint is scratched through and buffing wont fix it then it may have to be repainted anyway.

Thank you very much, Neil. I appreciate your insights. I'll look into the repairs you suggest. If it's offroad damage - i'm actually ok with that and not really concerned about it at all. But if my girl has been tampered with by another hand, now that's a problem. But, I honestly don't mind battle scars, lol.

Sal-XK
06-17-2012, 10:17 AM
with our wheels sticking out so far ya we sling a lot of crap all over and easily can throw rocks or what ever into the windows. The roof looks like some lines in the dents and one looks whit not sure what could cause that but one thing for sure is if you were in the jeep when those were made you would of know it.

AJeepZJ
06-17-2012, 08:30 PM
with our wheels sticking out so far ya we sling a lot of crap all over and easily can throw rocks or what ever into the windows. The roof looks like some lines in the dents and one looks whit not sure what could cause that but one thing for sure is if you were in the jeep when those were made you would of know it.

That's what I was thinking. Everything has an explanation, but at the same time - it's makes me raise an eyebrow and it seems really suspicious. I'm keeping an eye on it now, and I've inspected the entire vehicle and I've got pics. I will know if anything else shows up anymore. The next step is just to park my Jeep at my old man's place and get a motorcycle. Besides, I won't be living at my current much longer.

Sal-XK
06-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Can't ride a bike without taking the MSF couce and getting your card army policy. Bragg offers a free one but there usually booked and you need a bike to take it in I know oxymoron some civilian places have bikes for you.

valpacer
06-18-2012, 01:28 AM
The WK panels mark very easily, especially where you have on the roof. Mine has actually had 2 deep dents almost exactly the same as yours repaired in the same spot (roof liner off, and tapped out from the inner) that were from a branch that i though had just snapped off!

Now you know one of the reasons for the sign writing :cool:

AJeepZJ
06-18-2012, 08:21 AM
The WK panels mark very easily, especially where you have on the roof. Mine has actually had 2 deep dents almost exactly the same as yours repaired in the same spot (roof liner off, and tapped out from the inner) that were from a branch that i though had just snapped off!

Now you know one of the reasons for the sign writing :cool:

I can see how they dent easily - but, yeah. Three marks I have no recollection of gets under my skin. I showed these marks to a buddy of mine and we agree that someone used a small screw driver of some sort. His first impression was that they are not caused by something I did. I also figured out why only two windows are done. I tried to re-create the same damage to figure out how hard you had to tap those windows to do that - It's actually PRETTY loud. Which is starting to make me think it didn't happen at my house because my dog started barking after the first couple of taps on my glass with a screw driver. So the Jeep is now parked where I can see it. If anything else shows up... I will call cops and file a report.

Can't ride a bike without taking the MSF couce and getting your card army policy. Bragg offers a free one but there usually booked and you need a bike to take it in I know oxymoron some civilian places have bikes for you.

I know - the course is 160 bucks and I'm debating whether to take it or not.

criket
06-18-2012, 09:16 AM
I know - the course is 160 bucks and I'm debating whether to take it or not.

I took the course when I was 18 and have rode since. It was WELL worth it IMO. Save my can several times.

cmdr jim
06-18-2012, 06:32 PM
I took the course when I was 18 and have rode since. It was WELL worth it IMO. Save my can several times.

Hey Cricket, I totally agree with your statement, but then again I teach the MSF BRC classes in VA. It's about using riding strategics to keep you out of trouble.

valpacer
06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I can see how they dent easily - but, yeah. Three marks I have no recollection of gets under my skin. I showed these marks to a buddy of mine and we agree that someone used a small screw driver of some sort. His first impression was that they are not caused by something I did. I also figured out why only two windows are done. I tried to re-create the same damage to figure out how hard you had to tap those windows to do that - It's actually PRETTY loud. Which is starting to make me think it didn't happen at my house because my dog started barking after the first couple of taps on my glass with a screw driver. So the Jeep is now parked where I can see it. If anything else shows up... I will call cops and file a report.

That totally sucks man! Im so glad i have room for all my bits in the yard.

Time to let the dog out..........