PDA

View Full Version : OME shocks and struts worth the money??

wrenchin hobo
07-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Anyone here have the OME dampeners on their Jeep? I was considering these as the factory pieces are done. I'm a firm believer in Bilstein, but have heard lots of recommendations for these. Any opinions either direction are appreciated.

J

07JeepXK
07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Definately worth the money. Hands down, OME has the best 2 inch lift kit on the market for our vehicles. Well for any vehicle to tell you the truth. I'll be swapping over to OME at the end of summer to hold me over until I get back from Iraq. Then it will be swapped out for the 4 inch Superlift. My Bilstein shocks/sturts are pretty worn from the abuse of the past year and Id like to try out their coils since they have a higher spring rate then stock springs.

Do you plan on lifting your XK or is it already lifted? Those shocks/struts were meant to go with a 2 inch lift.

wrenchin hobo
08-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I currently run the Rock Krawler 3.5" lift...more like a true 2" but it's a decent lift. I am in bad need of shocks and struts as the worn out dampeners have caused pretty sever cupping. It is my fault leaving the factory junk on there and having 30k miles on the lift and almost 30k on the tires. I am considering the OME lift springs up front as the front end could still use more height. However I don't know if anyone makes upper control arms or something to correct ball joint angles.

bruijr
08-02-2010, 10:11 AM
That's also the way I'm going. One of my front struts is leaking and I have rubbing in the back when my shocks / coils are maximal compressed. I want to go for the HD OME coils & struts / shocks.

To answer your question:

However I don't know if anyone makes upper control arms or something to correct ball joint angles.

Recently I was in contact with HM Engineering who designed and manufacured some HD UCA's for the Commander a little over a year ago. They still had some in stock but nobody to sell these for them. I bought their stock to make them available for others in need of some more Heavy Duty parts. Check out the thread in "Parts for Sale / Wanted / Trade". http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php?209-HD-UCA-s

brendon
08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I switched out from the Rocky Road kit to OME - I did lose a little of the height, but it's worth it. I am very pleased with the OME stuff. I have HD front and rear springs, along with the shocks/struts.

beemer9
08-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I switched out from the Rocky Road kit to OME - I did lose a little of the height, but it's worth it. I am very pleased with the OME stuff. I have HD front and rear springs, along with the shocks/struts.

I'm thinking of OME too.
How much did they lift and how is the ride compared to stock?

07JeepXK
08-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Im surprised that you lost lift by swapping out with the OME lift. Especially since they are the HD's. Im slowly going to swap out my BDS with OME over the next few months as my shocks/struts are destroyed.

Doc in AZ
08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
OME sucks!!! avoid them like the plague if you can. seriously.

i've seen a lot jeeps with OME stuff and everyone hates it and wishes they had gone a different route. the shocks blow out and the springs sag.

i highly recommend the Pro-Comp 9000 shocks that are adjustable for the rear to help dampen the suspension depending on load and road conditions. unfortunately i don't have a recommendation for a front strut, but having just acquired a nissan pathfinder, i'll know in another month or so when i lift that up.

wrenchin hobo
08-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Although I've never had a problem with their shocks...I HATE the pro comp lifts. Very poor quality fit. Pain in the arse to align. But I've only installed a few.

Good discussion though.

J

Doc in AZ
08-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Although I've never had a problem with their shocks...I HATE the pro comp lifts. Very poor quality fit. Pain in the arse to align. But I've only installed a few.

Good discussion though.

J

i'm a distribuotor for transamerican which is the mother ship company to pro-comp. fabtech is their schtick. i asked my rep if they had fixed the issues with the chevy full size trucks. he was very straight forward and said "no, they still eat up ball joints every few thousand miles".

i sell a lot of their es3000 shocks. they are cheap and generic. there is no vehicle specific valving, it's a straight 50/50, but for rock crawling they work pretty well and at $35 each you can't beat it.

i have installed a bunch of the 9000 series and have not had a disappointed customer yet.

07JeepXK
08-23-2010, 03:18 AM

i've seen a lot jeeps with OME stuff and everyone hates it and wishes they had gone a different route. the shocks blow out and the springs sag.

i highly recommend the Pro-Comp 9000 shocks that are adjustable for the rear to help dampen the suspension depending on load and road conditions. unfortunately i don't have a recommendation for a front strut, but having just acquired a nissan pathfinder, i'll know in another month or so when i lift that up.

I think I have to totally disagree with you. I have read and heard nothing but good things about OME.

Doc in AZ
08-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I think I have to totally disagree with you. I have read and heard nothing but good things about OME.

not to start a pissing match about it, but look for long term reviews. you have to keep in mind i deal with jeeps & repairs on a daily basis...

07JeepXK
08-23-2010, 02:48 PM
not to start a pissing match about it, but look for long term reviews. you have to keep in mind i deal with jeeps & repairs on a daily basis...

Yeah I hear you. To each his own I guess.

txbajacommander
01-30-2011, 08:18 AM

i highly recommend the Pro-Comp 9000 shocks that are adjustable for the rear to help dampen the suspension depending on load and road conditions. unfortunately i don't have a recommendation for a front strut, but having just acquired a nissan pathfinder, i'll know in another month or so when i lift that up. I have the OME coil and struts up front, haven't had any problems after 1yr. If you are going to go for better shocks, I went with the fox resi shocks and love them. But just like any product everyone has pro's and cons.