PDA

View Full Version : k&n Intake Modification

06JeepXKHEMI
06-27-2012, 06:46 PM
As I mentioned a few weeks ago I installed the k&n CAI series 63 and loved everything about it, the sound, gain in mpg and performance. It was recently I noticed an issue and potentially major issue. When installing CAI you remove the entire airbox exposing the underside of intake to all elements with absolutely no protection, refer to pictures below..
From Top
From underneath

You can see clearly anyone who wheels or even enjoys the childish drive thru puddles after a heavy rain, the issue of hydrolocking is there and inevitable. After speaking with 07jeepxk, we both agreed modifying the lower portion of the airbox would be the best idea. Tricky part was test fitting and deciding how much to trim to prevent air flow restriction but yet still providing protection from water splashing up. This is what I came up with..
From top
From underneath

As you can see there is much more of a shield from underneath, still a small opening but an improvement. Thinking of maybe trimming a piece of plastic to fit that small area and creating my own splash shield for the bottom of intake so the worry is mostly gone. Ive also been considering installing the fresh intake tube for protection from the front.. hhhmmmm Im seeing a custom airbox in the very near future

Here are before/after shot from underneath:

pjmjr508
06-27-2012, 06:54 PM
You are on the nose about it can Hydrolock your jeep, it did to mine last year so been scared to hit any water with it. I don't want to put a snorkel on so will be watching to see what you do.

Don't know if this will help you I have been playing with the idea of grafting the AEM bypass in the tube to help to prevent a hydrolocking issue.

06JeepXKHEMI
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
What Im thinking and will probably do this weekend is using some type of apoxy if anyone has a suggestion and fabricating the fresh intake tube along with bottom of airbox into one piece to protect from underneath as well as front while still providing adequate airflow to k&n. Not quite sure how its all going to work but Im going to give it a shot. Once its done Id sand it and paint to look right... Anyone who has ideas would definitely take in to consideration

07JeepXK
06-27-2012, 07:31 PM
I think this will help out greatly. When we hit the trails you can just use my Jeep as a guage to how deep the water is before you go though something that might be to deep and hydrolock the engine! I'd like the performance ofa CAI but love knowing Im protected with the snorkel.

06JeepXKHEMI
06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I think this will help out greatly. When we hit the trails you can just use my Jeep as a guage to how deep the water is before you go though something that might be to deep and hydrolock the engine! I'd like the performance ofa CAI but love knowing Im protected with the snorkel.

Looking forward to the Whispering Pines trip soon! Ill have this mod buttoned up Saturday, when you installed your snorkel I see you used some type of black bonding agent, what is that called? Im going to cut pieces of plastic and bond them together as well as trim/clean up the edges to air box so its more complete. Have any thoughts on fresh intake tube? Should I reinstall it?

07JeepXK
06-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Looking forward to the Whispering Pines trip soon! Ill have this mod buttoned up Saturday, when you installed your snorkel I see you used some type of black bonding agent, what is that called? Im going to cut pieces of plastic and bond them together as well as trim/clean up the edges to air box so its more complete. Have any thoughts on fresh intake tube? Should I reinstall it?

I just used normal black RTV that you can buy at any auto parts store. I'm not to familiar with the fresh intake tube. Are you talking about the piece that goes on the front of the air box and sits right behind the grille?

06JeepXKHEMI
06-28-2012, 05:32 AM
Yes whats the piece I am referring to.. I Think Ill be ok, will just have to be careful. Saturday I will have a better idea of what I can do and put something together.

07JeepXK
06-28-2012, 05:43 AM
I think that will definitely help get air to the filter. When it comes to water fording, you just need to make sure your careful when the front end of the XK enters the water (make sure its not over the bumper) and when crossing make sure the wake of the water doesnt come over the hood. Other than that theres really nothing to worry about especially since you took care of the bottom of the filter that was wide open. I think the only place that you would have to worry about in our upcoming trail rides is Lake Christy if you attend the Rausch Creek trail ride. Last time I was there I crossed it without having a snorkel and I had no issues. I just stayed to the far right where the water wasnt as deep. The best part is if you dont feel comfortable you dont need to take your jeep in there.

06JeepXKHEMI
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Being careful seems to be an ongoing topic off-road hahaha.. Ill play it by year with Lake Christy and will probably follow someone elses line thats not to deep and like you said if I dont feel comfortable I wont do it.. AS of right now that front tube is not there and its getting plenty of air to it, what I may do is just reinstall front tube for trail rides??? Its very easy the grill pops right off and this goes in. If you look at the pictures it has a flat piece in front that works as a shield almost which is why Im considering throwing it back in and maybe modding it..

07JeepXK
06-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Thats a good idea. Will it still connect right to the lower portion of the air box since you modded it?

06JeepXKHEMI
06-28-2012, 08:54 AM
It should as its wedged in pretty good, its on the list to figure out Saturday. With how easy the grill pops in and out, its really a no brainer. If it doesnt affect performance I may leave it in and create a whole custom bottom and front airbox, havent decided yet will have to see once I get everything apart

06JeepXKHEMI
08-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Well I told everyone Id update this thread when I came up with a better idea and today was that day!! When I was at Adams yesterday he gave me some extra thin rubber that he had a roll of. I made my own custom lower intake shield and front shield by the radiator. I used some RTV to seal everything together. Now I have complete protection from water underneath and much better coverage from the front. Here are some pics of the install..
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/57c786e3-1.jpg?t=1346015208
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/ef3f09c2-1.jpg?t=1346015212
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/c128439c-1.jpg?t=1346015228
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/f06bae54-1.jpg?t=1346015233
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/9dfd120d-1.jpg?t=1346015256
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/0c319587-1.jpg?t=1346015278
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/607d1c9b-1.jpg?t=1346015291
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/33f7d9e5-1.jpg?t=1346015295
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/4935451e-1.jpg?t=1346015311
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/08/6a33f156-1.jpg?t=1346015321

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Nice job man, I ended putting my factory box back in because of water issues.

06JeepXKHEMI
08-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Im happy with the result, my obvious goal was to not rob any air for the intake with providing good amount of water protection and I think I accomplished that. Would like everyones opinion or if they think there is something I can approve. One thing to note is the lower piece is glued bottom and front so it wont move..

07JeepXK
08-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Perfect! Glad that rubber finally came to good use!!

06JeepXKHEMI
08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Perfect! Glad that rubber finally came to good use!!

Thats what she said!!!

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Thats what she said!!!

Oh snap! Gotta jeep proff are responses LOL

Core XK
08-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Nice man I am glad to see you found a better solution. As you now I was going to go down this route but I decided I'll just get the airaid MIT tube and attach to the stock box. Great mod though :)

06JeepXKHEMI
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Yea i hear ya but as Im sure you read everyone has issues with the stock intake not protecting from water so I said screw and come up with something so this what I came up with for now.. I still want to find someone who does fiberglass and create a mold that will enclose from water but still provide adequate air for intake. Ive got a few designs on the design that would work just have to put it together..

Core XK
08-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Yea i hear ya but as Im sure you read everyone has issues with the stock intake not protecting from water so I said screw and come up with something so this what I came up with for now.. I still want to find someone who does fiberglass and create a mold that will enclose from water but still provide adequate air for intake. Ive got a few designs on the design that would work just have to put it together..

Well I will definitely be following as it is a good mod for those who want the full intake. I have a relatively light foot and won't really see the actual performance gains from a full system...I intend to "cruise" a lot ;p

06JeepXKHEMI
08-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Despite what some people think you feel a CAI alot more than just under WOT and it may not be equaling more HP or TQ but the ease of acceleration and climbing thru RPMs is alot better with one.. To be honest I probably didnt gain much of anything on paper but it performs, sounds and gets better mpg, now that I use the right gas. I got 15.3-15.5 going thru the hills on the way to and from Rausch

1USMC
08-26-2012, 06:53 PM
................ so this what I came up with for now.. ....

Nice job.!. I have been thinking about doing something like that myself... but thinking was as far as I got ! Great trail blazing . I'll keep watching to see how this evolves .

pjmjr508
08-27-2012, 01:02 AM
looks great

06JeepXKHEMI
08-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Thanks guys!! Ill let you know how it performs off road and make adjustments as needed