PDA

View Full Version : Transmission over temp warning.

stites-xk
07-02-2012, 04:56 PM
The past two days i would drive to work park the jeep work then go home and have to run a earn about a hour later and i would get the transmission over temp warning light. So i took it it the tranny shop and they said that it was the cylinoide pack with the temp sensor and they wanted to do a value adjustment as well. All in all about $1200. Just wandering if any of you had this problem or ideas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

07JeepXK
07-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Do you have the AEV module on your XK for the Superlift???

stites-xk
07-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Do you have the AEV module on your XK for the Superlift???

No I do not. You think it would help?

Matt
07-03-2012, 06:03 AM
I believe the solenoid pack is relatively easy to replace..... just have to drop the pan to access it. Probably worth seeing how much one costs and do it yourself.

stites-xk
07-03-2012, 06:33 AM
I believe the solenoid pack is relatively easy to replace..... just have to drop the pan to access it. Probably worth seeing how much one costs and do it yourself.

Im going to check on it today. What about the value adjustment do you think it needs to be done at 72,000 miles?

stites-xk
07-03-2012, 07:08 AM
OEM solenoid pack almost $400 from mopar. Thats a bumer!

Matt
07-03-2012, 08:29 AM
$400 is a lot cheaper than $1200!! Is that dealer price or an online mopar parts supplier?

You mean a valve adjustment? That's not something I'd worry about with 70k. Well lets put it this way, I never planning on bringing mine into a shop for "preventative valve adjustment".

stites-xk
07-03-2012, 09:00 AM
$400 is a lot cheaper than $1200!! Is that dealer price or an online mopar parts supplier?

You mean a valve adjustment? That's not something I'd worry about with 70k. Well lets put it this way, I never planning on bringing mine into a shop for "preventative valve adjustment".

It's around $400 from a online store. The $1200 would be with the value adjustment they wanted about $600 to $700 to do the pack about three hours of labor. I don't think I'm going to do a value adjustment yet. I'll probably do it my self after i have the dealer diagnose what is wrong with to see if they come up with the same thing.

07JeepXK
07-03-2012, 02:54 PM
The reason I asked about the AEV module is because when we installed the 4 inch lift on my buddy's WK he was getting the trans over heat light during the install of the module. It was weird cause his jeep hadn't moved for almost a month if not more when we installed the lift cause we painted everything. And the jeep wasn't even running.

stites-xk
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Interesting!

stites-xk
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Took the jeep to the stealer today. Just picked her up come to find out it was the PCM, and it was a recall for the 06 model. So it was free and they said I should have no problems. This is a major load off of my chest. Question since the did all of this stuff well affect my superchip?

Matt
07-05-2012, 05:41 PM
If you didnt return it to stock, and they replaced your PCM, then yea.... you lost your superchips tune and will need to get the programmer unlocked.

07JeepXK
07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
You will probably need to retune it using the flashpaq.

stites-xk
07-05-2012, 05:46 PM
If you didnt return it to stock, and they replaced your PCM, then yea.... you lost your superchips tune and will need to get the programmer unlocked.

How to do I go about getting it unlocked?

Matt
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
First thing I would do is hook up the scanner to see if it recognizes a stock tuned PCM or if (miraculously) it recognizes the superchips tune. If it see's it as an untuned PCM you'll have to contact superchips and see what they can do for you. Normally there's a fee.

stites-xk
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Cool thanks. My jeep has been tuned for so long that i just forgot about it.

pjmjr508
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
if it does not see the tune when you plug it in you can go to the SW you have on your pc that connects to the tuner & there is an option to unlock it. it will cost $100.00 to do. You do not have to contact Superchips to do it. It's located in the same area as where the TPMP program is when you DL it. if you still have an issue let me know & I will post pics of what I am saying

07JeepXK
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
You shouldn't have to pay to unlock it just because you had a new PCM installed. As far as I know it's locked by vin when you registered your flashpaq. If not contact superchips and explain to them what happened and I'm sure they will help you out.

stites-xk
07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Its unlocked i just called them and they did right on the spot no questions asked. Really good customer service.

07JeepXK
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Told you!! You wouldn't have to pay for something you already paid for. You would only have to pay the $100 if you were trying to unlock it for a second vehicle.

stites-xk
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Told you!! You wouldn't have to pay for something you already paid for. You would only have to pay the $100 if you were trying to unlock it for a second vehicle.
That's what tech support told me today. They said anytime you need it unlocked just give them a call and they will be happy to help. Takes about 5 minutes.

pjmjr508
07-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I stand corrected, they told me that if it is locked to a jeep because the dealership did an update to the pcm that I will have to pay. So who knows. Glad it worked out.

stites-xk
07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I stand corrected, they told me that if it is locked to a jeep because the dealership did an update to the pcm that I will have to pay. So who knows. Glad it worked out.
I'm glad too! Next time just talk to corporate. That always seems to help me when i'm having a hard time with something.

06JeepXKHEMI
06-03-2013, 05:38 AM
So I started getting this warning yesterday while driving, but no other codes or warning lights. And it even goes away and comes back, does anyone know if its all 06 models have the recall or just V6?

stites-xk
06-03-2013, 06:08 AM
So I started getting this warning yesterday while driving, but no other codes or warning lights. And it even goes away and comes back, does anyone know if its all 06 models have the recall or just V6?

Mine is a 06 v8 and it was under a recall! Once the new PCM was in I've had no problems and this was around a year or so ago!

06JeepXKHEMI
06-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks man, Ill have to drop it off and see what else they try and take from me..

07JeepXK
06-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Andrew

Have you checked transmission temp while your having this issue with your tuner? Just curious what the temp is when it comes on.

06JeepXKHEMI
06-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Recall only applied to the 4.7s.. So looks like I may have the sensor going bad

06JeepXKHEMI
06-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Andrew

Have you checked transmission temp while your having this issue with your tuner? Just curious what the temp is when it comes on.

No I havent but the Jeep wasnt even up to operating temp yet, highly doubt its actually over temp and there are no other warning lights.. Im going to restore factory tune before I do anything else and see what happens. Im hoping I can sell it soon so dont want to have to drop $400 on a solenoid pack when I have a bad sway bar link in the rear to replace already.. The bolt mus thave came loose and it completely stripped the threads on the bolt and is only half way connected, guess I found my noise in the rear

06JeepXKHEMI
06-03-2013, 07:32 AM
I was thinking of checking the levels today but has anyone confirmed the "correct" way to check it? I know some were saying cold, in neutral and other says warm neutral

07JeepXK
06-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Definitely check Trans fluid at operating temp. Do it in both park and neutral. That way you can't go wrong

06JeepXKHEMI
06-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Ok Ill do it during lunch then, cant see how it'd be low considering I have no leaks, even the trans lines arent dripping

07JeepXK
06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
It might not be low. Could be a totally different issue

06JeepXKHEMI
06-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Fluid is right where it should be and doesnt smell, checked in both positions. I drove around for awhile and it never came up. It is cooler outside so just incase it really is getting hot Ill wait til a warmer day and plug the tuner in to see where its running at.. What temp should it be reading around?