PDA

View Full Version : Need OBX Help!!!!

Matt
07-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Leaving Saturday AM for our OBX vacation.... heading all the way up to Carova (so a signifacnt beach drive).

My wife just called me and told me that our friends from Maryland (with 3 kids) took their AWD minivan. I say "took" because they're currently in Alabama visiting relatives and are heading straight to OBX from there.

... I fault myself for assuming they were bringing their Explorer. Hell I should've thought about it after another one of my friends said he was going to stop by for a visit on his way home from FL, in his AWD Audii (it actually took some effort to convince him how horrible of an idea that was).

So barring the option of making them drive all the way back from Alabama up to norther MD, unpack, repack and drive down to OBX; do you guys have any ideas?

First idea is to rent a 4x4. But i'm not sure a rental company will let them leave their van there... and/or if they don't allow rentals to go on the beach :confused:

Parking garages? Is there a parking garage or something nearby to Corolla where we can leave their van? I'll have to drive down and pick them up...

Any other ideas/options? I've never been to OBX, but regardless there's not even good tow points vans for if they get stuck (otherwise I'd consider towing them up the beach!!)

Sal-XK
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Actually if they air down a tad OBX isn't really that bad form what I've been told and seen its harder packed sand. But I never been there seen an AWD Nissan something on Carolina beach only get stuck once and the conditions there are pretty rough. Neil's been there before and I think AJ has been to so they should have some ensight.

Matt
07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't be as worried if we weren't going way up to carova. The sand there is traveled on less and I presume more of a challenge.

The lack of tow points and both of our vehicles being filled with young kids is another challenge.

BonesWK
07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
I have rented a car and left my own car at their lot. They usually are cool with it.

I say rent the 4x4 from somewhere and let them know you will be taking it on the beach.

Matt
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Although it kind of sucks for me... it looks like the OBX rental agency has a lot for people to park (although it's limited). So i'm having them call up to explain their error and see if someone will be nice enough to ensure they have a spot to park on Saturday..

Sal-XK
07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Make it an adventure or challenge see if you can get them down the beach LOL

Matt
07-05-2012, 03:06 PM
lol trust me man, all they needed was a front tow hook and i'd see if I could pull them down the beach with them in neutral https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/drinks-1.gif

Sal-XK
07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
lol trust me man, all they needed was a front tow hook and i'd see if I could pull them down the beach with them in neutral https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/drinks-1.gif

Strap them both up at once that would funny!

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Matt, been there done that ! I wouldnt try getting the awd up there. My buddy took his Honda Ridgeline, had a few tense moments but he made it. He ended up ripping the plastic splash shield completely out. Ive seen splash shields, fender liners, airdams, etc laying all over. The worst part is right as you pull onto the beach. For the first mile or so the daytrippers come out and set up and the sand is very rutted and very soft. There is always someone getting stuck along there. In the rutted parts the XK would completely compress the suspension to the bump stops when loaded down. The rental agencies do have parking but its first come, first served and that means that you would have to provide transportation for them whenever they need it. We stayed about 8 miles up, just a mile or two from the end at the Va state line. There is at one point an old house on the water side of the dunes. The tide comes all the way up to it so watch the tide charts and plan your travels accordingly. Right along the same spot are a bunch of tree stumps at the water's edge, not too easy to see at night. I ran my KCs at night and the cops didnt seem to mind ( they do run patrols up there, the beach is considered state roadway and all laws of the road apply ). It would take us about 25 minutes to get from the house to the pavement. There are no stores up there , just a firehouse. The firehouse does have ice for sale usually, though they do run out easily they get it filled back up in a couple of hours. A house with an ice machine is the way to go. I NEVER felt as though I was going to get stuck but as you know, anything can happen. Also, drive around the little back roads up there. There are usually some nice little water hazards to play in. We all like the water hazards, right ? Be prepared to sit on the bridge across the sound for a couple of hours, if you dont have to than consider yourself lucky. LOL !! Have fun man and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Matt
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks Neil. I'm hoping we don't get stuck in traffic due to the time we're planning on getting there... but will see what happens.

Since we're running the same tires... what do you air down to? I was thinking of 15 PSI. I normally do 18 for wheeling at Rausch Creek.

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 04:01 PM
I went down to 20psi. The rental office is about 1/2 mile or so once you get back on pavement and they have multiple air hoses for use by their renters for free. They give a passcode to turn the compressor on. i think it was SunRealty but I think they all do the same.

Matt
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Cool. I have my OBA too... lol i may just use that for the coolness factor :cool:

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Cool. I have my OBA too... lol i may just use that for the coolness factor :cool:

there ya go ! helps get chicks. :)

Matt
07-06-2012, 04:14 PM
SShhhhh... don't tell my wife!

Matt
07-06-2012, 04:15 PM
How's the traffic flow on the beach? Do people still use the "keep right" rule? Not sure what to expect when we get out there. hahaha im actually expected a plethora of stuck vehicles that im trying to maneuver around.

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Its kinda " do whatcha want ". Theres not really a left and right lane. Kinda have to follow the rutts and you may meet someone head on in the same rutts and you get to play chicken to see who will move over. You can be going along nice and easy and some guy will come blowing by on the right hand side. Speed limit is 25 I think. When its not very populated some people will get right down to the waters edge and ride cause its a bit smoother down there. Thats fine but there isnt a lot of opportunities to do so. One of the worst things I saw was we were set up, backed up to the water, fishing and swimming when a lady drove right between our vehicles and the water because it was smoother. No matter where you go there will always be idiots there.

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 04:30 PM
My first time I was driving " white-knuckled " , so nervous and gripping the wheel so hard. My buddy went earlier this year. He has a '90 F-150 with a small lift , I think running 32s. He hit a dip so deep it compressed the frontend enough it jammed the fenders into the sand enough he had to get both front fenders repaired and painted. You really need to take it easy in some spots. It never fails, you ride along nice and steady and some moron comes tearing around you like hes at the Indy 500. LOL

Matt
07-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up man. I have 6 3' tall orange PSEG (gas company) cones that we're going to set up when we're hanging out at the water.

How do you think the QDII XK will handle the sand there? I've driven in "sand" before, south NJ pine barrons have some pretty sandy areas to play in, but not a beach. With a bit of caution while im driving and having experience knowing when to stop before digging down; are there any areas of the beach I should just plain avoid?

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Hell dude, I got the QT1 and didnt have any problems. I could stop and go at will. After the first couple miles or so it was pretty smooth. Ive been told that during the fall and winter the whole beach is smooth as glass. It just gets rutted up by all the people. You'll be fine. Its nerve wracking to start with but you soon realize its a piece of cake. The people that get stuck are driving CRVs and BMW X5s and such. They simply dont have the clearance. Its just like in the snow, it doesnt matter if its awd or 4wd, if the bottom of the vehicle is resting on the snow/ sand youre not going anywhere. The only XK Ive ever seen stuck on the beach is this dude named SAL- XK. That guys crazy . LOL !!

Matt
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
LMAO! thanks for the confidence boost!

Normally I dont care about getting stuck. Hell i can just xjack myself up and fill in the ruts..... It's having my 1 year old and 2 year old in the Jeep is what has me nervous. recovering isn't as much fun when you have kids crying for sitting in a car for 10 hours

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 04:53 PM
im uploading a 20 min video to youtube now. it shows the entire drive from the house to the asphalt.

Matt
07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
you're the man!

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
i thought i had already uploaded it but i hadnt. it may take an hour or so , you will have to stay up late and watch it. LOL

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 06:05 PM
here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx45KWDb76M&feature=g-upl

Matt
07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
hahahahahahah

"i hope you're not filming"
"i am filming"
"well delete it!"

NeilSmith
07-06-2012, 06:57 PM
you could see the white suv come out from the dunes and cut across, thats one of the turn offs that go to the houses. there are several of them at certain mile markers. thats how you find your house, little mile marker signs. those turns are typically a lot thicker so I just gassed it up through there. oh yeah, my wife will tell you to shut up if you get on her nerves all day. LOL !!!!

Matt
07-06-2012, 11:57 PM
3am.... will be on the road within the hour!!!

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 08:12 AM
How long will it take you to get there ? It should take about 4 hours or so from here. First time we went down to OBX it took us over 7 hours cause of traffic and accidents. good luck

Matt
07-07-2012, 08:18 AM
On the bridge now... 11:20. 8hrs isn't bad...

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 08:27 AM
cool. still can be an hour maybe to get up to Corolla, depending on traffic flow. hopefully its moving good for you.

Matt
07-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Na traffic is pretty bad lol

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Na traffic is pretty bad lol

:cool: enjoy !!

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 09:26 AM
the problem with OBX is that a large percentage of the visitors rent houses. the rentals all have the same check in / check out day. unlike at a hotel where some people may check in on a tuesday or a wednesday and check out on a monday or whatever. the house rental traffic is funneled in there all at the same time.

Matt
07-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Next year I'm leaving at midnight... then chill on the beach waiting for check-in

AJeepZJ
07-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm a bit late responding to this. I've been through there a couple times... from stock to near my current setup. I know this is not a post about the capability about QT1 system, but it will not fail there. It is a different systems than most 'AWD' systems available and the beauty of turning off that ESP is paramount in soft sand. (and it WILL be soft when it's been as hot and dry as it has been here lately). This is not the case for most AWD systems, and even if you can.. the torque split is not nearly as desirable as ours. Aside from that... The primary challenges that exist for most folks on OBX, regardless of the vehicle, is experience and ground clearance.

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 03:24 PM
yeah, I forgot about turning off the traction control, but you probably already have that part covered, Matt. :)

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 03:24 PM
are we there yet ? we need an After Action Report

Sal-XK
07-07-2012, 03:54 PM
are we there yet ? we need an After Action Report

Maybe he got stuck! It can happen ya know LOL

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Maybe he got stuck! It can happen ya know LOL
LOL. that was discussed earlier in the thread, where ya been ? !! LOL !!

Sal-XK
07-07-2012, 05:47 PM
LOL. that was discussed earlier in the thread, where ya been ? !! LOL !!

I'd like to point out I was anchored to POS trail blazer wen I got stuck :p

NeilSmith
07-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I'd like to point out I was anchored to POS trail blazer wen I got stuck :p

blah, blah, blah :)

Matt
07-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Wow... so many stuck vehicles today!

Not mine. The XK tore through the deepest sand/ruts I could find. I feel foolish for even worrying. One point I went in between two stuck F150s.

No... couldn't stop to help anyone. Was playing "taxi" getting friends & luggage to the house. :(

Lol my load levellers are squeaking like crazy from all the sand/bouncing.

AJeepZJ
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Wow... so many stuck vehicles today!

Not mine. The XK tore through the deepest sand/ruts I could find. I feel foolish for even worrying. One point I went in between two stuck F150s.

No... couldn't stop to help anyone. Was playing "taxi" getting friends & luggage to the house. :(

Lol my load levellers are squeaking like crazy from all the sand/bouncing.

In Monroe's next design for these things, they need to allow just a little bit more space between the shock body, and the coil. Kind of silly they knew to put the rubber boot around it, even knew to find a better adhesive to keep it there... but failed to provide a little space.. heck even 1/16" would change everything.

Matt
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
We tend to use our vehicles in a bit "extreme" ways compared to 99.9% of the population though. :)