PDA

View Full Version : The Rebuilding Begins

HueyPilotVN
07-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Tomorrow I will hopefully pick up an almost exact duplicate of my old Commander Limited. The only two differences I can find between them is that the new one has a Hemi and the VES. The exact same color inside and out and this one looks factory fresh with no dings or modification that I can see. Now the challenge is to choose to do the same mods or to change the plan with this one. I am open to suggestions. I still have the same overall goal of making it an expedition vehicle. Therefore I will probably do another Aux gas tank for an additional 30 gallons of gas. I will need a rear tire carrier to be able to use the space for the tank. Any thoughts on the new tire carrier? I will probably swap out the third row of seats for a locking storage compartment again. That will probably require Superlift rear coils at least for the weight. I will get another locking console from Jon. What ideas do you guys have as to the front and rear bumpers for this one. I got to find another "Gold Miner" for the hood. Lift, spacers, and new tires?. This one has all the factory skid plates. I will need new lower side body protection, Jon? I have a feeling that Jon is about to get a big order....What other ideas do you guys have for a fresh canvas??

Here is a late picture of the "Lost Commander"

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/06/003c2-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/02/00238-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/07/0234-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/01/Untitled82-1.jpg

I have found a replacement for the Stacker that will need the graphic treatment and it will take awhile to replace the Coach. The new one will probably be 45 feet and have at least a 600 HP Diesel for pulling the Stacker. Still wish I could find my old vehicles, but they now could be anywhere. Need to focus on the future.

Sal-XK
07-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Glad to see you getting the pieces picked up. I would get sliders and both bumpers from SA I can personally vouch for the rock sliders. You going for the 2" lift I would go OME HD not many choices for a 4" lift other than SL. His front wheel flares would look sweet to. I agree with the aux fuel tank I think you'll miss that option if you skipped it. Some wheels with a 5" back space or some spacers would look good. Maybe get a duel battery setup with a decent size inverter installed.

LWM
07-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase, The way you got there sucks but the cool thing is at lest you know the Commander and you know what mods you really need and in which order to purchase them. When you are ready to start the build let me know and I will give you the best prices I can on Steel Armadillo and affiliate products. We have several new ones in the works as soon as the welder finishes the 6 sets of XK sliders I have ordered.

HueyPilotVN
07-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys. I agree, the Steel Armadillo treatment. Two bumpers, sliders, maybe some additional skid plates, rear tire carrier, front wheel flares, maybe Jon can put in the Aux tanks and get one for himself at the same time. Go to school on yours and then do mine....I do not want more than a minimum lift because both the Mustang and the Commander need to fit in the new Stacker. Same limits as the old on height. I am thinking that it might be a $5,000 budget not counting wheels and tires.

Matt and all your east coasters that are sleeping...we need your ideas also. Maybe even think outside the box on items like the awning or roof system, but remember that I do not have much clearence in the Stacker

Jon, another thought. If I stay in California you might also think about doing some kind of laser cut logo on the pieces to generate some west coast sales if you do the entire set of mods. Just an idea, regular logos would work also.

CT-riverrat
07-09-2012, 03:04 AM
Glad your getting a replacement for your XK! I have RR lift and 1.5 spacers for sale, both still new in box if your interested.
Since you got screwed with what happened I was asking 360 for both, I'll sell 'em to you for 300 plus actual shipping cost.

07JeepXK
07-09-2012, 05:23 AM
I would recommend a similar setup to what you had prior, but use the Old Man Emu HD coils up front this time. Stay with the Superlift rear coils for the extra weight of the rear bumper and aux fuel tank. Not that I own a Hemi, but I think you will be more than happy with your new setup. You will have the extra power now to get all that extra weight moving.

Matt
07-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Glad you're getting re-started. I'll definitely provide some input.... just grabbing a quick read while the kids are waking up and we're heading out to the beach soon (i wish i got better service on my phone at the beach so I can read up)

Matt
07-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Just an idea for up front... I'm dying for someone to try the KING coilovers. With everything you're adding on that would be ideal for fine tuning the ride height. You can get them custom made for 2-4" lift.

Ross
07-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Do you know how much it may cost to get 4" King coilovers? I assume that in order for them to work, you'd also have to get the longer knuckles, diff drop, etc. from SL.

Matt
07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Do you know how much it may cost to get 4" King coilovers? I assume that in order for them to work, you'd also have to get the longer knuckles, diff drop, etc. from SL.

You run the coilovers just Like the OME or any other budget boost lift. Just don't want to go too far over 2".

Last quote I got was $1450 for standard 0-2" lift coilovers and $1700 for custom length.

stites-xk
07-09-2012, 10:23 AM
You run the coilovers just Like the OME or any other budget boost lift. Just don't want to go too far over 2".

Last quote I got was $1450 for standard 0-2" lift coilovers and $1700 for custom length.
That's still better then the JBA 2'' coilover kit that they sell.

HueyPilotVN
07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Picked it up this afternoon. It had a couple of extra things I missed when I first looked at it. It has the bluetooth in the rear view mirror U connect for the cell phone. Also has a couple of wireless headsets for the VES. I was actually thinking as I drove it that it was a pretty nice street jeep. Maybe a "Mall Crawler"...nah. I was amazed that there are no dings inside or outside. I bought it from a Lexus dealership and they really detailed and waxed it. It really does look showroom fresh.

Took a couple of pictures as the sun was going down.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/07/100_0729-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/07/100_0734-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/07/100_0727-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/07/100_0730-1.jpg

My cousins Pam and Greg, and his wife and child are going up the coast to Washington state on vacation so I am going to give them the Commander for a few weeks while I plan the mods.

Since I am a full disclosure kind of guy, here are the details on pricing. KBB was just over 23K, bought it for 20K, after TTL it was $22,110.62. Now this was from a dealer and it seems about a clean as I could ask for. It has 62K miles and no they did not do the 60K service, so I will have to. When I bought my other one new it was about 43K and this one has some more goodies

ScorpionCrawler
07-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Congratulations, I love that color.
Nice to see you were able to find a duplicate.

07JeepXK
07-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Your last XK was $43,000 and didn't have a HEMI?? Damn that's expensive. Looks like you found a real nice XK!!!

Pixelcodex
07-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Congratulations Huey, as they say, some good can come from the bad. I like your new ride and plans. I am curious as to what you are able to do for an aux tank. As I told you before, a search for auxiliary tanks was what brought me to TUJ in the first place, and I have been looking into options since...

HueyPilotVN
07-10-2012, 06:34 AM
The Aux tank is easy. I have to relocate the spare and then just order the kit from Aerotank thru Jon probably. Easy installation, there is a write up on it here somewhere. Maybe Jon should do three and then he can get his installed also.

Pixelcodex
07-10-2012, 07:13 AM
The Aux tank is easy. I have to relocate the spare and then just order the kit from Aerotank thru Jon probably. Easy installation, there is a write up on it here somewhere. Maybe Jon should do three and then he can get his installed also.
Ohh, I had read your thread where you had pictures of how your old one custom built. This sounds like a good solution, though they look like replacement tanks, so not sure if we can find one that fits that space below.

LWM
07-10-2012, 01:24 PM

I would be interested in this mod if there iny other interested parties. You and I make two.

pjmjr508
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I would be interested in this mod if there iny other interested parties. You and I make two.

depends on price, this is something I would like. I travel up & down the west coast so this will help a lot.

Pixelcodex
07-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Same for me regarding price, and in my case shipping to the east coast. We would have to determine if the space available on the XK is the same as the WK (as is mine). I just happened to do some quick down and dirty measurements last night because I saw some aluminum marine tanks for sale on CL. That area where the tire is now tapers, but it is about 36" close to the hitch, about 30" deep, and about 12" tall. I realize that is not all usable space, but we could even get a tank bigger than 30 gal in that space if my calculations are accurate.

Sal-XK
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I'd be Interested as well in this depends on price.

1USMC
07-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Huey, It was Great seeing your new Commander !! Looks like you found a great vehicle to start your new build up with.

I noticed on your original one that you had chrome side steps. The last time I was home I finally removed mine. If you are interested to put them back on your new one, let me know.. they are ( I think Lol) in perfect condition. No one should have to endure what you have had to experience.. I couldn't help from afar, but at least I can offer them to you dirt cheap, if you are interested.

So.. Congrats again .. I look forward to seeing her evolve !

P.S. Just an after thought, I also have the original (unused) shocks that came with my 4" SL kit. I have no idea if/or how anyone could use them, but if you could, just let me know.

HueyPilotVN
07-11-2012, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the offer, However I am fairly sure that I will put the Super Sliders on for lower side protection. The chrome nerf bars from before were mostly to help her with getting in and out of the Commander.

Semper Fi

1USMC
07-11-2012, 08:23 AM
...., However I am fairly sure that I will put the Super Sliders on for lower side protection.
Semper Fi

Great minds think alike.!. thats why I took my chrome nerf bars off.

Semper Fi

06JeepXKHEMI
07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Congrats Huey on the purchase, nice color I have the same as yours but 06 with the saddle brown interior. I really like the look of your other one and will be following this build closely.. Enjoy the HEMI its awesome!!! Everyone stands by OME lift which is what I plan to do, seems to be the best for the $$$. Id like to see what you find out about the headers, I have Flowmaster 50s on mine and it sounds great with the k&n. Congrats again, will be following up on the build

HueyPilotVN
07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Got a new "Gold Miner" hood ornament in the mail today. Earlier today I had a Flowmaster #42541, 40 series, 2 chamber muffler installed in place of the monster big factory muffler. Might have lost 50 pound in the trade. I also had them remove the resonator at the rear and put on a straight pipe with a chrome extension on it. Now it sounds like a Hemi.

Matt
07-17-2012, 07:56 PM
And it begins! :cool:

Need a sound clip of that muffler! Post it here: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php/1975-5-7L-Hemi-Muffler (trying to decide what im going to do when a rock tears my stock muffler open offroad)

Sal-XK
07-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Glad to see things coming together.

Pixelcodex
07-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Glad you are getting excited all over again. Can't wait for the rest!

stites-xk
07-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Im happy for you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wmjacobsjr
07-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Your last XK was $43,000 and didn't have a HEMI?? Damn that's expensive. Looks like you found a real nice XK!!!

Hemi added $950 to the price of Limited due to 4.7L being the base engine. I priced my 06 out as new when I got it in 09 and it was over $44,000 and Bill's has more than my Limited. What year is she Bill?

Bill, my friend I haven't been on in awhile and I was shocked and saddened at what happened. I am glad you got another one and it looks great!!!! I hope and pray everything works out for you.

LWM
07-28-2012, 09:31 PM
I spent the day with Bill yesterday. He is in good spirits and has a good attitude about everything. He will land on his feet!

Matt
07-28-2012, 09:33 PM
That's good to hear Jon. I wish I was closer and could help with something

1USMC
07-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Huey;
I'm wondering, how long to get your old plates back ??????

LWM
07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Huey;
I'm wondering, how long to get your old plates back ??????

I can answer that one for Bill, he can file for lost plates and get them right away IF he still wants to register in AZ.

07JeepXK
07-29-2012, 09:25 AM
I can answer that one for Bill, he can file for lost plates and get them right away IF he still wants to register in AZ.

Even with his custom plates?? What if they were taken off his old XK and someone else has them on their car??

Trax95008
07-29-2012, 10:52 AM
i don't know about Arizona, but in California, if you want to transfer plates from one vehicle to another, you have to bring both plates to the DMV so that they can physically see that they still exist, they first decommission them from the current vehicle then issue them to the new vehicle. i dont see how it could be possible to get another set of plates with the same plate number when there is another vehicle out there with those plates on them! suddenly those plates become meaningless? that doesnt make sense. otherwise, thats a good looking XK Huey. welcome to the HEMI club. i think you will love it. your XK sounds identical to mine except for the color

HueyPilotVN
08-09-2012, 07:20 PM
In case anyone did not saee the update on the other Forum:

OK, Here is a little teaser mini version of what happened.

I do not think is is appropriate to give all the detail yet because of pending charges and other litigation.

Two people that were of tremendous help were Jon Knapp from here and Detective Jeff Phaffenbach from the fraud division of the Arizona department of Moptor Vehicles.

Jeff is also a Helicopter Pilot and went the extra mile several times to help me find and retrieve the vehicles.

After a few months of dead ends the break happened when the vehicles were sold / traded and my name was forged on the titles to do so. Detective Jeff had put a lock on all my titles after the Stacker was sold to an Auto Auction in Phoenix. Any transfers of any of the five vehicles would trigger a message on any DMV computer to call Jeff.

The second vehicle transfered illigally was the Coach. It was traded for another RV. Next the Jeep Commander was traded for another car and finally the golf cart was sold on consighment at a golf cart dealer.

The really great thing about the situation is that all the vehicles were retrieved in a non confrontational manner. We just picked them up from the new owners legally. They were all at businesses and not private parties.

The sad thing is that every different owner took there pound of flesh along the way. The stacker was stripped of all the interior upgrades. I even discovered that the new Michilin tires were swapped out for cheaper tires and both spares disappeared. I was told before we got the stacker that the graphics were removed. Fortunately that was only partially correct. The Huey is still on the back door. The two blue top Optima batteries were gone and a cheap used battery was there that would not even raise the lift.

I will spend several months slowly replacing equipment and things, but that is a small price to pay to get it all back. The really great thing about recovering them is that they were and are all paid for and clear. I really did not want to repurchase everything.

Core XK
08-10-2012, 04:24 AM
I mentioned this on the "other" forum as well. I have been following your story and I am really glad things ended up working out the way they did. Personal items are difficult to replace but it is still great to have gotten the vehicles back. Karma will come around as it always does.

CmmdrDan
09-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Im extremely late to this party. Sorry about all that you've had to endure, it really sucks but you've handled it like a champ. I only have one question. Since everything was recovered, including the Jeep, what are your plans for it? Selling it and starting over with the new one I presume.