PDA

View Full Version : Possible career/life change.

Carn75
07-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Hey folks. I havent really been on in a while. Trying to deal with these surgeries the past few months! However I have a few questions I'm hoping to get some feedback on. Here goes, I'll take as many answers as I can get,either in the thread,or in a private message. I'm starting to think about a new career,and the US Army has been on my mind for a while now. I realize I would have to make some big sacrifices,but before talking with a recruiter I figured I'd get better and more honest answers from you folks. Some questions are: 1)what can I expect to make $ wise my first few yrs. 2) What expenses are/not covered? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe.

Matt
07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
This is definitely the place for advice... lots of current military and vets. Hopefully they chime in.

One question I have is how will you injuries and surgeries affect your options?

07JeepXK
07-09-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm currently on my 10th year of Active Duty Army. The first couple years suck as far as pay goes unless you are married and/or have kids. If so its not all that bad because you will receive BAH (housing pay). When I joined I was only 18, no kids and not married so I lived in the barracks. Once you get some time in and get more rank the pay is great. Base pay goes off your current rank and years in service. Try to get in at the highest rank possible. If you have a college degree you can come in as an E4 (SPC). Active duty you get full health ins and dental. If you ask me the military is the way to go.

The_War_Wagon
07-09-2012, 10:27 AM
If you HAVE a college degree, why not OCS?

Yeah, the butterbar catches as much - if not more crap - than an E-1, but my kid brother's been in the service 26 years now, made O-6 last year, and life is pretty good for him!

Sal-XK
07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Answers really depend on some more information. How old are you? Are you married with kids? What are your long term issues with your injuries? What you looking to do in the army? And FYI guys Just because you have college don't mean you can go OCS either. The army has tightened its belt on recruitments. The standards are up and the bonuses are down. I was a PVT with a wife and kids and the pay was horrible pretty much had little left over and that was with no car payments. But as said it gets better with rank but depending on your MOS that could take sometime the service pay tables are easy to find online. The service isn't for everyone either and you can't just quit if you go and realize you don't want to do this anymore. You can send me a PM with the answers if you want I'll give you my honest opinion on it.

07JeepXK
07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
x2 on what Sal said.

Any specific questions just shoot me a PM.

AJeepZJ
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Answers really depend on some more information. How old are you? Are you married with kids? What are your long term issues with your injuries? What you looking to do in the army? And FYI guys Just because you have college don't mean you can go OCS either. The army has tightened its belt on recruitments. The standards are up and the bonuses are down. I was a PVT with a wife and kids and the pay was horrible pretty much had little left over and that was with no car payments. But as said it gets better with rank but depending on your MOS that could take sometime the service pay tables are easy to find online. The service isn't for everyone either and you can't just quit if you go and realize you don't want to do this anymore. You can send me a PM with the answers if you want I'll give you my honest opinion on it.

Sal is correct, they have cracked down a lot. VERY few people with a degree are selected for OCS... and that includes prior service. I don't ship for another 2 months so my advice/experience is limited up to the delayed entry process. In regards to the application process to OCS, I treated that application like my life depended on it, and I made it a point to prove that to my recruiter. If you get a good recruiter, win their trust and approval and he/she will go out of there way to get things done. The only reason I say this is because the OCS application process is tough, as you might imagine - but it's also a PITA for the recruiter and requires a lot of work and deadlines for them as well. They will not look at anyone with a GPA of less than 3.0 from college.

The_War_Wagon
07-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Yeah, I should've mentioned that OCS is really looking more for degreed people in technical/professional fields these days. 16th century French Art History majors need not apply... :rolleyes:

NeilSmith
07-11-2012, 05:50 AM
I never joined up, although sometimess I wish that I had. The biggest drawback to the military in my mind has always been financial. I doubt that without any college education that I could make close to six figures in the military although it has been a very real possibility in my civilian career. It has to be something that you really, really want to do for yourself and your country. Sal and I talked about it a little around the campfire and I saw the he joined because he felt it so much in his heart and soul that he just had to do it even though he wasnt 18 , more like pushing 30 I think.

BonesWK
07-12-2012, 05:17 AM
I think if I didn't get a job out of college right away I would have looked HARD at joining a branch of the military. I think the best way to go is do the college thing (even a 2 year) and then go join. Like others have said, it will be an instant raise when you join with some college under your belt.

I see all these guys my age that have served or are serving and they seem to have a little more something to them. I cant explain it, but its something I wish I had.

This probably was little help, but just sharing how I would have done it if the circumstances were different.

Carn75
07-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Just want to thank everyone for all the advice and info. However while I was looking at the Army website,I wasnt aware that they hadn't updated some of their info. They changed the enlisted again from 42 back down to 35 yrs old. After talking with a recruiter I missed it by about 9 1/2 months. I was pretty bummed to find that out,but I guess it just wasn't ment to be. Thanks again for all the info,and to those that have and do serve.

wookie
07-17-2012, 04:41 AM
Not sure about your living situation but heres an option. Find a nice Canadian wife, get married, get your dual citizeship and join up. There is no minimum age as long as you are able to meet the requirements.

HOW TO JOIN THE CANADIAN FORCES:

Step 1: Submit your application

Step 2: Undergo a reliability screening

Step 3: Successfully complete the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test

Step 4: Successfully complete a medical examination

Step 5: Successfully complete an interview with a military career counsellor

Step 6: Pass the Physical Fitness Test

Step 7: Selection, job offer and enrolment

(Steps 2 to 6 inclusive may occur in a different order)

To be eligible to apply to the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following three minimum requirements:

1. Be a Canadian Citizen

2. Be 17 years of age (with parental or guardian consent) or older, except: • Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applicants, who must be 16 years of age or older

3. Meet the minimum education requirements for your desired military occupation: • Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec, and additional educational prerequisites as specified by the occupation