PDA

View Full Version : Tire Wear After 2 Inch Lift

Kudzu
07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2006 XK which had just gotten a 2 inch Rough Country lift and brand new Sahara wheels and tires (Bridgestones). The tires have about 2,000 miles on them and I've noticed considerably uneven wear with the front pair. The rear tireS are in excellent shape, even wear and pretty much all of the original tread depth! But the fronts are wearing heavy on the outside.

I have no experience with IFS trucks, so I was wondering if you guys had any input on how the tires wear on these rigs. I'm really interested in hearing what the lift does to the alignment geometry. The only adjustment that's under there (from what I can tell) is the tie-rods, which adjust toe-in and that's not my current problem. Is the only correction for this to replace the knuckle? I am rotating the tire shortly, but I'd like to correct the issue before I burn through 4 new tires.

So my question is, have you had this problem, and how can it be corrected?

Thanks,
-Will

07JeepXK
07-09-2012, 10:35 AM
The alignment is made by the lower control arms and the tie rods. Has it benn aligned since the lift? I had the same problem with my Commander. Went to many different shops to include the dealer and no one could get the alignment close enough so I wouldn't have tire wear. Simply fix.. Order Rocky Road Outfitters Upper Control Arms!! I have the JBA and now my alignment is dead on with no tire wear. JBA will give you slight rubbing on the front coil during max down travel of the front end if you don't buy their coil over along system along with the upper control arms. Not really a big deal at all if you dont off road but it's just easier and cheaper to go with the rocky road

stites-xk
07-09-2012, 10:44 AM
You are correct the tie rods only adjust the toe in and out but the lower control arms has slots to adjust the camber. Did you get it aligned about a 100 miles or so after the lift? The lift will settle and cause it to get it out of alignment.

Sal-XK
07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Yup it's pretty straight forward you must get an alignment after the lift. I bought firestones life time alignment so I can bring it in all I want they did a pretty good job.

stites-xk
07-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Yup it's pretty straight forward you must get an alignment after the lift. I bought firestones life time alignment so I can bring it in all I want they did a pretty good job.
Firestone would not touch my jeep due to much suspension mods but 4wheel parts did a great job for me.

Sal-XK
07-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Firestone would not touch my jeep due to much suspension mods but 4wheel parts did a great job for me.

Wow they did mine even with my spacers on but everyone had a modified jeep around here maybe that's why they would probably loose a ton of bussiness if they wouldn't touch a modified jeep. LOL

stites-xk
07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Wow they did mine even with my spacers on but everyone had a modified jeep around here maybe that's why they would probably loose a ton of bussiness if they wouldn't touch a modified jeep. LOL
Maybe they were just jealous of my XK so they didnt want to work on it. LOL

Kudzu
07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys,

So there is enough adjustment in the lower control arms after a 2-inch spacer lift? In other words, an alignment shop can get her lined up without the need for adjustable uppers?

07JeepXK
07-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys,

So there is enough adjustment in the lower control arms after a 2-inch spacer lift? In other words, an alignment shop can get her lined up without the need for adjustable uppers?

You have a 50/50 chance. Some guys running 2 inch lifts have no problem getting their XK/WK aligned afterwards. And others have bad tire cupping like I did. But if you still get cupping order the Rocky Road Upper control arms. They are not adjustable, they are built for lifted XK's/WK's to get the alignment back in spec and give you a nice heavy duty control arm/replacable ball joint at the same time!

Sal-XK
07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
No matter what your odds are you need that service done.

07JeepXK
07-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah what he said!!

Chapman89
07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
It took me a couple different locations to get the alignment done properly after installing my lift. I ended up at Goodyear Auto Care and bought the lifetime road force balancing and alignment packages. Its well worth the money!

Core XK
08-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Matt installed my lift and I got tires w/ alignment about 2 days later and I have had no noticable issues so far. I showed him the print out for the alignment and it was "OK" lol :P