PDA

View Full Version : 5.7L Hemi Muffler

Matt
07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
As preparation for when i destroy my muffler on a rock.... has anyone swapped out the muffler on their Hemi?

2 things I'm worried about

1) I dont want it too loud and I don't want drone on the highway.... listening to my kids whine on long trips is bad enough!

2) I don't want it to sound like crap with MDS (no, im not turning MDS off... lol i need all the mpg help i can get!)

To save cost, I'm pretty sure I'll just pick out a muffler and have it welded in when the time comes.

pjmjr508
07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I did cat back with flow master 50 series suv W/3". its not that bad as unless you in it you don't hear alot. I can't answer about the mds part, mine is turned off. Once it stops raining up here I will do some sound clips

Matt
07-15-2012, 01:38 PM
You removed the resonator when you did the catback?

pjmjr508
07-15-2012, 01:39 PM
yes

Matt
07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Any drone while cruising on the highway?

06JeepXKHEMI
07-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Ive got the flowmaster 50 muffler only, its then welded to the stock rear piece. Its loud when are you WOT, has a small drone on the highway but not annoying and you can hear when the MDS come on. I like the sound it makes not to much but I will be doing a straight pipe from muffler cause I want it to be loud. Keep in mind I have the intake on, before it wasnt as loud as it is now. Honestly if you arent on the throttle much like I am you wont notice to much of a difference.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Matt, here is a video of my exhaust. Its a cold start so rev no higher than 4krpm.. Let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inah9M1FRhI&feature=youtu.be

HueyPilotVN
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
The fellow that installed my new muffler yesterday suggested trying it with the resonator still in place and then deleting the resonator if I wanted it louder. I just had it do both while it was on the lift. If you are worried about drone then you might do it in steps. The stock muffler is huge. You will save the weight of a kid by replacing it with a Flowmaster like I did or a similar smaller muffler.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-18-2012, 11:14 AM
As Huey said I will be doing a straight pipe from muffler, I dont have kids or a family to cart around so the noise I want to hear is the HEMI.. I came from the import world starting back in 98, before F&F, and all my exhausts have been loud. I will be exploring the option of headers once I have the $$$.. 07JeepXK and I were discussing possible cam options to..

Matt
07-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Just had a chance to listen to the video... that sounds pretty good, i like it.

When you say "you can hear when MDS comes on"... how so? What does it sound like?

And im going to hear that in person on the 11th right? A good exhaust may make some obstacles "look" better just by having the big 5.7L sound as im hitting the gas..... lol might give me a reason to drop my muffler on a rock by "accident" hahaha

Matt
07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Is that the 50 series HD or Delta Flow?

The_War_Wagon
07-18-2012, 03:55 PM
GO BIG! Flowmaster Super 44!!! :cool:

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Scouting/?action=view&current=Muffler2.mp4

Matt
07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
lol it was actually hard to hear it in that video. Maybe someday when I have my pickup truck again and the XK isn't the family hauler for long trips.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Just had a chance to listen to the video... that sounds pretty good, i like it.

When you say "you can hear when MDS comes on"... how so? What does it sound like?

And im going to hear that in person on the 11th right? A good exhaust may make some obstacles "look" better just by having the big 5.7L sound as im hitting the gas..... lol might give me a reason to drop my muffler on a rock by "accident" hahaha

Its the 50 series. And yes as of right now Ill be attending the trip on the 11th. When the MDS comes on it sounds like its going into another gear, very low drone but quiet, you wont hear it unless you are listening for it. Its pretty funny actually.. When Im WOT people look at me 2 ways, crazy and what does he got under that hood?!?! HAHA

My only worry for the 11th is I may not have $$ or time for belly skid which concerns me after watching your videos, may have to stick to the lighter stuff with my rig..

Matt
07-18-2012, 04:42 PM
There's a few different "50 series".... there's the 50 Series Big Block, Super 50 Series, 50 Series Delta Flow and 50 Series HD, 50 series 4x8, 50 series 3x10..... Do you know which PN you got?

You'll be alright without the bellyskid. My friend doesn't have it on his WK yet either and has been there the past 3 times with me. I'll let you know what trails to avoid.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Im not sure cause I bought it with it already on and was told 50 series but I just measures it and the measurements based off their website says it would be 50 Delta Flow..

Matt
07-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Ah yeah... forgot that you got it that way.

Thanks for measuring it for me! Figured it was the Delta or the HD..

06JeepXKHEMI
07-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Yea what I figured to, I bet you will like it, my Dad likes it and he is not a fan of hearing it when you dont want to but enjoys the sound when the time is right. Like I said I want it to be louder and will putting a straight pipe from muffler.. As for the 11th I believe 07JeepXK and I will be making the trip since we live close by, will be nice meeting everyone.. Im 99% sure we are wheeling at Whispering Pines the weekend of July 28th if you want to make a trip up..

Matt
07-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Hey... lol i may sound like an old man but im only 28 (just for the record). hahaha you kinda got me with the "my dad likes it" part.

I'm busy the weekend of the 28th but thanks for the invite. Glad to see this group getting out wheeling though :cool:

06JeepXKHEMI
07-19-2012, 04:44 AM
HAHAHA I was just using him as an example, I know with families last thing you want is a loud exhaust. Im 26 with alot of child left in me haha..

Whispering Pines is 35 mins from me and an hr from him so we will be hitting that trail quite often so Im sure there will be a weekend you're free to ride thru

Matt
07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Doing some research and looks like the Stainless Steel delta flow (843051) is the way to go. ~$90 shipped.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-20-2012, 05:41 AM
Nice! This may be a stupid question, how do you tell if its stainless steel or the alumnized steel? The XK is from AZ so I have a bad feeling its the aluminized steel and may rot quicker in the elements up here.. Its not shiny at all like my other stainless mufflers

Matt
07-20-2012, 05:55 AM
If its the dull grey color its probably the aluminized steel. I wouldn't worry about it..... since its already installed its a simple replacement when needed. And its not like you paid a premium for the vehicle just because it had a flowmaster, think of it as an upgraded stock muffler that would rot just as quick regardless.

Matt
07-20-2012, 05:57 AM
Then again, flowmaster uses 409s which is also aluminum coated...... so there may be no visual difference.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Right, Im not worried about it plus if you knew what I paid for the XK then you would probably tell me be shut up hahaha I paid waaaay less than I see other paying for stock, so I guess you are right when it needs to be replaced Ill swap it right out..

Matt
07-20-2012, 06:06 AM
What you get it for?? :)

06JeepXKHEMI
07-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Well KBB lists excellent condition 17, very good 16700, I paid less than 15k for mine shipped and did about $800 in services..

EDIT: I dont always go by KBB as it doesnt always calculate market

Matt
07-20-2012, 06:16 AM
Damn that is pretty good! How many miles?

06JeepXKHEMI
07-20-2012, 06:19 AM
bought it with 76 have 79k now, with all the extra's it has its a really good deal and being an AZ car I couldnt pass on it.. Ill tell you what I paid on the 11th I dont want to hurt anyone else for sale threads..

Matt
07-20-2012, 06:29 AM
I hear ya. Regardless that's a good deal. I have a friend shopping for an XK right now. He's having trouble getting loan approvals though (not bad credit per say, just tough to get loans now + his personal income vs expense ratio)

06JeepXKHEMI
07-20-2012, 06:33 AM
I hear ya, my interest is really high, Im self employed 1099 so my write offs were so high that it made my income look low.. Is he trying to do it on his own thru dealership?

Matt
07-20-2012, 06:36 AM
He's trying to do it on his own so he can buy private party. Once approved for $xx,xxx he can shop for a vehicle up to that price and the loan agency gives him a check to write out to the seller.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-20-2012, 06:46 AM
Thats the problem, unless he goes to a credit union he will never get financing for our Xks, even my bank my business is thru wouldnt let me, his best bet would go thru a dealer he might pay a tad more for the car but its very hard to get financing privately. I tried for M3's before I moved back north to, credit union is the only place that would do it

Sal-XK
07-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I used star farm to get my last few purchases what ever I end up with I just call them with the info and they cut a check.

The_War_Wagon
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
HAHAHA I was just using him as an example, I know with families last thing you want is a loud exhaust.

I'm 45... with 4 kids under the age of 12. The loud exhaust assures I get the Jeep to MYSELF!!! :p

Core XK
08-10-2012, 03:50 PM
In replies to the above :O

I work at a credit union and we approve everyone left and right lol. However, we gain a lot off interest off poor credit leases. I actually have my loan with PNC bank because they got me such an awesome rate.

Anyway, I am getting my Flowmaster Super 50 Series put on tomorrow morning. I am then driving with it for 2 1/2 hours up to my uncles house in Mount Carmel (20 mins from Rausch Creek) so it will get a great trial run.

Mine is Aluminized Steel and I would have gotten the stainless if I would have known better when purchasing. However, it was technically free thanks to my college book trade in!

Matt
08-10-2012, 06:48 PM
The aluminized will be just fine. Throw some high-temp exhaust paint on it if it gets dented/scratched and it'll last

Core XK
08-11-2012, 02:36 PM
The aluminized will be just fine. Throw some high-temp exhaust paint on it if it gets dented/scratched and it'll last

Will do, thanks. It really sounds so much better then stock exhaust; it has a nice sound but not annoying by any means. I've already turned heads :)

Matt
08-13-2012, 05:21 AM
Unfortunately my stock muffler survived another off-road trip..... those 50-series sounded great on your vehicles, definitely going that route when a can opener snags my stocker!

06JeepXKHEMI
08-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Im going straight pipe from muffler soon, by next trip she will be alot louder!