PDA

View Full Version : Rear main seal leak

07JeepXK
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Matt I need your help. Last weekend when changing my oil I found a leak which appears to be coming from the rear main seal. Can you send me anything you can find in the service manual that I can take a look at prior to tackling the job. I know it's a big job and I'm confident I can do it.

Matt
07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
You already replaced the front oil seal right? It's similar to that.... except you have to remove the trans.

Procedure is the same as in the 05WK service manual we have a copy of. If you need to, download it here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24438380/2005-WK-SM.pdf

Oil seal replacement is page 9-1376.

Hardest part, IMO, is R&R of the trans if you don't have a jack.

07JeepXK
07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah I replaced the front seal over the winter. Now the rear appears to be bad and the leak got worse since last weekend. I'm aware that the transmission and fly wheel need to come out. I just like reading up on on it prior to getting my hands greasy because every vehicle is a little different. I've pulled many transmissions in the past so I'm not too worried. I have access to a lift and my brother works R&R at a transmission shop if it comes down to me needing him. I just need to locate a trans jack. Maybe I can "barrow" one from his shop.

Matt
07-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Dude you're set then.

Honestly i used to hate the front seals more just because of all the little crap that usually has to come out. With a good trans jack, as long as the top trans bolts arent hard to get to, getting to the rear main aint bad.

07JeepXK
07-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I hear you. My biggest concern is getting the old seal out and the new one in without the proper tool. I guess I'll worry about that when the time comes. If not thats when I call jay to stop by and get the old one out and new one in..haha

Matt
07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
You'll probably be alright.... those tools basically "idiot proof" the job. There's always Macguyver methods... :cool:

07JeepXK
07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Exactly. So much work all for a $14 seal.

criket
07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Just to be sure I'm on the same page, the rear main seal on the engine is leaking? Do you have an idea as to what may have caused it? Or are these vehicles prone to this happening?

I'm just curious.

07JeepXK
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes. It's the rear main crank seal located behind the fly wheel. Im not sure on the exact cause of the leak. I have 110,000 miles on my engine. I was told the 4.7's are known for this.

criket
07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
oh ok, well that stinks. Most engines, the rear main seal doesn't go unless it's high miles or it has some internal failure.

Take pics when you do it. It'll be good info to have just in case. Best of luck.

07JeepXK
07-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh I'll be taking lots of pictures. Honestly, these 4.7 liters are garbage. There known for a lot of problems.