PDA

View Full Version : Off Road Light Wiring.

Core XK
07-24-2012, 11:19 AM
So I installed the KC lights over the weekend but surprisingly it did not include covers for the wires that come from the back of the light into the grill; the wires just sat there and looked horrible so I taped the wires with black electrical tape but it still looks like crap. Has anyone had experience with this? I am thinking I can just find some wire covers to make it look nice? :P

07JeepXK
07-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some black wire loom.

ScorpionCrawler
07-24-2012, 11:42 AM
5 mm heat shrink tubing will work on wire sizes 10-14. Has a 2-1 shrink ratio.
Or wire loom both should be available at the auto parts store.

Matt
07-24-2012, 02:17 PM
I used wire loom and made my own harnesses....
Might get some ideas here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?p=9611

Core XK
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Sounds good, thanks guys

Core XK
07-24-2012, 03:25 PM
I used wire loom and made my own harnesses....
Might get some ideas here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?p=9611

I am consulting you prior to any mod.....

I just looked at your thread on your light install. I could not find any location to drill a whole on the driver side to wire the lights to the switch. I had to go through the passanger side and hook it all up over there which worked due to the high beam connect but yours looks neat....

I have the yellow wire going from the fuse control box? all the way over under the grill to the passenger side....

I'll have to post pics when I find my camera

Sal-XK
07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
If you live up north or plan on wheeling or go anywhere corrosive (The Beach) I would say get comfortable with heat shrink and protect those connections so you have the lights when you really need them! There's lots of products out there you can use to dress cable up and make it look good after your connections are protected.

Core XK
07-24-2012, 04:39 PM
If you live up north or plan on wheeling or go anywhere corrosive (The Beach) I would say get comfortable with heat shrink and protect those connections so you have the lights when you really need them! There's lots of products out there you can use to dress cable up and make it look good after your connections are protected.

I am going to get the Wire Loom and make it look nicer. I'll post pictures once I am finished.

Core XK
07-25-2012, 06:12 PM

That is the wire that comes across from the passenger side. Today I wrapped it in heat protectant wire loom so it looks much better lol...

lekmedm
07-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Dielectric grease is your friend for connectors that are potentially exposed to weather. It keeps the water out, so no corrosion! I use fully insulated quick disconnects like these (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018) for the wiring. Squeeze in some dielectric grease, and you're good to go. :)

Core XK
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks I'll look into them