PDA

View Full Version : bump stop for OME lift

xk2006
08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Hey guys I just pulled the trigger on new OME HD front springs and struts. I also bought the Monroe Strut-Mate Mounting Kit to have all new hardware. The only thing missing are bump stops. What do you guys recommend? Brand, height, material, all info is appreciated.

Matt
08-17-2012, 03:36 AM
Best to go with the OEM stops for the front strut.

07JeepXK
08-17-2012, 03:47 AM
You can order a new bump stop from rockauto.com and totally assemble the new parts prior to lifting the XK. It would make life easier when you lift it. You would also need the upper and lower spring isolators too though

06JeepXKHEMI
08-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Adam you sound like you speak from experience!?!? Congrats on the buy 06, you will looove this suspension

07JeepXK
08-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Adam you sound like you speak from experience!?!? Congrats on the buy 06, you will looove this suspension

Haha yup!! Sorry agin for forgetting to tell you to order the bump stop. Well in the end your XK got lifted and we were able to tear up Rausch Creek!!

06JeepXKHEMI
08-17-2012, 06:10 AM
HELL YES!!! hahaha thanks again!!

xk2006
08-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanks guys. BTW the monroe strut kit comes with the upper and lower spring isolators.

http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPart/monroePartSearchFromECatalog.do?partKey=443903&partNumber=905922&catalogKey=409&methodName=initialiseMonroe&catalogCode=monroe&locale=EN&loadStatus=DELETEAUG1

xk2006
08-17-2012, 06:45 AM
went to rockauto.com for the bump stops and there are too many to choice from. do you guys have the part number from rockauto? the stealership wants $26.48 each. ive also seen a brand called "Crown" that looks pretty close to the original one.

Matt
08-17-2012, 07:14 AM
I've used crown before. They are comparable to OEM.

cmdr jim
09-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Those of you with the OME HD front coils, if you could have your front bump stops extended down, how much would you extend them down. Looking at my RC spacer lift, it must lower the front bump stops 1-7/8" lower.

Matt
09-28-2012, 06:40 AM
I wouldn't mess with the internal bump stops. A lot of us wheel the hell out of our rigs with the OME setup and upwards travel of the suspension has not caused issues like seen in the rear. Our front suspension already has minimal travel, I see no reason to constrain it any further.

cmdr jim
09-28-2012, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't mess with the internal bump stops. A lot of us wheel the hell out of our rigs with the OME setup and upwards travel of the suspension has not caused issues like seen in the rear. Our front suspension already has minimal travel, I see no reason to constrain it any further.

I keep hearing this limited travel of the OME lift in the front, It makes me wonder why so many swear it's a better lift 2" lift. Would I be better off replacing my worn out struts, and staying with stock springs and RC spacers? Why is the OME a better front lift?

Matt
09-28-2012, 07:33 AM
The shocks/springs are better for offroading. It has nothing to do with travel.... did you ever take those measurements to see how much down travel you have with the spacer lift?

I upgraded to OME because my stock springs were sagging really bad with the added weight from skids/equipment. Also the stock shocks noticeable allow the body to drop lower when going off obstacles which decreases the effective belly clearance. I think for on-road ride quality the stock shocks are slightly underdamped whereas for off-road performance you want slightly overdamped.

Matt
09-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Note that the OME wont let you go places that a 2" spacer lift can't go. You wont see that kind of performance difference. A 1 for 1 comparison between two evenly built vehicles except for OME vs Spacer, the spacer lifted vehicle will bounce around more and smack skid plates on rocks more.

If there's a lot of armor/accessories involved, the stock springs will sag more as well, decreasing clearance even more.

cmdr jim
09-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Note that the OME wont let you go places that a 2" spacer lift can't go. You wont see that kind of performance difference. A 1 for 1 comparison between two evenly built vehicles except for OME vs Spacer, the spacer lifted vehicle will bounce around more and smack skid plates on rocks more.

If there's a lot of armor/accessories involved, the stock springs will sag more as well, decreasing clearance even more.

Matt, I haven't had a chance to measure downward travel yet, but will see if I can this weekend. The differences in spring rate and strut valving makes sense for offroad and that's the primary reason I was thinking about upgrading when replacing my struts, plus I got the coils at a great price.

Are you using the 1/4" spacer with the OME? Or have you found the coils themselves lift enough?

Matt
09-28-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm running the 1/4" spacer for that extra bit of height.

07JeepXK
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
An XK with OME will be the same off road if not better than a spacer lift. Just get the OME kit, get two inch performance accessories lift spacers for the rear bump stops and call it a day. Add a rusty rear adjustable track bar to the list if you can afford an extra $150

cmdr jim
09-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I here ya'll, I'm heading the OME way, I have the OME rear HD coils coming, I have 2" body spacers for extending the rear bump stops and the RRO track bar.