PDA

View Full Version : Which 12 Gauge

Core XK
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
So along with wheeling and getting tattoos.....guns/range is one of my other hobbies (I sometimes ask myself why every hobby I choose cost a good deal of $$)

Anyway, I am looking to get a 12 gauge for x-mas as it is my bday as well.

What are your guys personal experiences with different makes? the primary use will be range/outdoor range as well as my primary home defense

I am leaning towards mossberg but I am open to suggestions (I plan to have many tactical add-ons later)

DetroitMarauder
08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Mossberg 500.

Core XK
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Mossberg 500.

Yeah that is on the top of my list right now as I have shot it many times so far

DetroitMarauder
08-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Treat it right and your great grand children will still be able to use it without problems.

Core XK
08-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Yeah well I do intend to hand them down one day as some were to me ;p

I have pretty bad OCD so I clean my guns more then needed :O

07JeepXK
08-23-2012, 05:44 PM
I prefer Remmington 870 Express Magnum

Core XK
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Yesss that is another very nice gun; my cousin has one and I do like it as well ;p

My only handgun is a 9mm Ruger SR9 which I really love but I also would like to get a 38 special to carry

07JeepXK
08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I conceal a walther p99 sub compact .40 and also have a walther p22 for tearing up paper targets. I love walther hand guns.

Core XK
08-23-2012, 06:19 PM
I conceal a walther p99 sub compact .40 and also have a walther p22 for tearing up paper targets. I love walther hand guns.

I'll have to look into them

NeilSmith
08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
I like the 870 over the 500. Now if you want super sexy.....Benelli M2 Tactical

LWM
08-23-2012, 08:51 PM

This is what I have and highly recommend.

LWM
08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I like the 870 over the 500. Now if you want super sexy.....Benelli M2 Tactical

I have one of these too! It is great but the racking of the 870 is more likely to scare away an intruder.

Core XK
08-24-2012, 04:55 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either or...both great choices

Core XK
08-24-2012, 07:46 AM
How often do you guys carry? for those who do

NeilSmith
08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I carry all the time, except when Im working. I could but a body shop probably isnt the best environment for a handgun on a daily basis. :)

Core XK
08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
I carry all the time, except when Im working. I could but a body shop probably isnt the best environment for a handgun on a daily basis. :)

I would carry more often if I had a good carry gun lol....my 9mm Ruger is just too large for comfort. I think I'd carry more often with a 38 special or compact semi-auto

NeilSmith
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
I started carrying with a Springfield XD.45. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster for it. I am a small frame guy, only weigh 130 lbs soaking wet and I can conceal the XD just fine. My issue is the weight of it. At 14 rounds of .45 it can feel heavy on the hip especially when wearing a pair of shorts. So I got a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 for Christmas. It is considerably smaller and 1/2 pound lighter. The only drawback would be the capacity is 7 + 1 so its cut in half from the XD. I really do like the 1911 though and may be trading the XD for a fullsize if I can get the right money.

Core XK
08-24-2012, 09:23 AM
I started carrying with a Springfield XD.45. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster for it. I am a small frame guy, only weigh 130 lbs soaking wet and I can conceal the XD just fine. My issue is the weight of it. At 14 rounds of .45 it can feel heavy on the hip especially when wearing a pair of shorts. So I got a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 for Christmas. It is considerably smaller and 1/2 pound lighter. The only drawback would be the capacity is 7 + 1 so its cut in half from the XD. I really do like the 1911 though and may be trading the XD for a fullsize if I can get the right money.

Yeah I am not too big im 5'9 180 (all muscle w/ six pack) ;p but I find my 9mm poking out under my shirt too much to where someone can notice it easily which I do not want

NeilSmith
08-24-2012, 09:27 AM
what kind of holster ? I cant recommend the Crossbreed enough. This is my Kimber in a Crossbreed.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/001-1.jpg

Core XK
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
what kind of holster ? I cant recommend the Crossbreed enough. This is my Kimber in a Crossbreed.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/12/001-1.jpg

I forget the name of it I will look when I get home from work. I can't see picutures on my desk PC but I will check it out later. It's a leather in the pants type of holster and fits very snug but the grip just sticks out far

hoaxci5
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I haven't carried in a few years since I was living in CA.. but once we get into actually living in DE they honor my permit so I'll be carrying my Ruger LCP. I have a Springfield XD9, but I never felt comfortable carrying it since I normally wear a tshirt I always felt like it was printing. I have cross creed holsters for both and highly recommend them.

Core XK
08-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe I will look into the crossbreed...I have heard of them a few times on guntalk tv

I really want to grab my shotgun for xmas but also want a smaller carry gun :P DECISIONS

hoaxci5
08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
My wife just got me a scoped remington 597 for my birthday. In a couple years I'll get to take my kids out for some plinking fun :) Nothing better than a women who buys you guns and jeep parts :p

Core XK
08-24-2012, 10:05 AM
My wife just got me a scoped remington 597 for my birthday. In a couple years I'll get to take my kids out for some plinking fun :) Nothing better than a women who buys you guns and jeep parts :p

There really isnt anything better! lol my fiance bought our dog a huge "jeep tire" dog toy :O for the XK when he goes for a ride lol

http://www.jeepworld.com/merchandise/dogstuff/jeepdogtoys.aspx

Core XK
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
That remington is probably pretty sweet ;p

NeilSmith
08-24-2012, 10:18 AM
I bought Remington 700 a few years ago and the guy threw in a 597. I havent shot it yet. I bought one of those Archangel stock kits for it and a Bushnell red dot and gave it to my daughter for her first rifle. We need to go shootin' !

Core XK
08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I bought Remington 700 a few years ago and the guy threw in a 597. I havent shot it yet. I bought one of those Archangel stock kits for it and a Bushnell red dot and gave it to my daughter for her first rifle. We need to go shootin' !

lol Thats awesome

DetroitMarauder
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
There's a gun shop near my work that has a Mosin Nagant m91/30 on sale that I'll be picking up on Monday. :D

The_War_Wagon
08-24-2012, 10:56 AM
If you don't go Remington 870, I'd go Mossberg 590. All the aftermarket stuff that fits the 500, will fit the 590, which better made. From a Mossberg 500 OWNER... :o

Core XK
08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
If you don't go Remington 870, I'd go Mossberg 590. All the aftermarket stuff that fits the 500, will fit the 590, which better made. From a Mossberg 500 OWNER... :o

I lean towards Mossberg based off personal experience with one but I may go shoot a Remington to compare :)

pjmjr508
08-24-2012, 11:32 AM
I carry all the time except work. Wife does the same- with all the bs going on with all the shootings, I am not taking the chance of being somewhere a shooting happens with my family & not able to protect them.

NeilSmith
08-24-2012, 11:34 AM
my good friend has a new 870 Tactical which seems pretty nice, I havent shot it yet. My only issue is with the rubber recoil pad made into the stock. It is so grippy that it constantly hangs onto my shirt when I shoulder it. Heres a funny story: I went to my buddies house some years ago to hang out for the evening. We were grubbing on some hot pockets out of the microwave and listening to some Zeppelin. LOL . He said" I got a new shotty, wanna go shoot it ? " I said hell yeah I wanna shoot it. So he hands me the gun and goes over to the kitchen counter and unplugs the microwave, still warm from the hot pockets. We went out back and blasted that thing into the next week ! LOL !!!!

Core XK
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
my good friend has a new 870 Tactical which seems pretty nice, I havent shot it yet. My only issue is with the rubber recoil pad made into the stock. It is so grippy that it constantly hangs onto my shirt when I shoulder it. Heres a funny story: I went to my buddies house some years ago to hang out for the evening. We were grubbing on some hot pockets out of the microwave and listening to some Zeppelin. LOL . He said" I got a new shotty, wanna go shoot it ? " I said hell yeah I wanna shoot it. So he hands me the gun and goes over to the kitchen counter and unplugs the microwave, still warm from the hot pockets. We went out back and blasted that thing into the next week ! LOL !!!!

LOL that is a funny story. I have an old DELL desktop computer sitting in my closet; there is a post it note that says "Range" on it. I am waiting to blow it to pieces with my new shotgun lol.....

It is so much fun going to an outdoor area/range and shooting different things. I am not into hunting so this pleases me just enough!

NeilSmith
08-24-2012, 12:08 PM
LOL that is a funny story. I have an old DELL desktop computer sitting in my closet; there is a post it note that says "Range" on it. I am waiting to blow it to pieces with my new shotgun lol.....

It is so much fun going to an outdoor area/range and shooting different things. I am not into hunting so this pleases me just enough!

lol. it is a lot of fun. I dont hunt much anymore but I love to just go out and shoot. The AR can make this kinda expensive though. :)

Core XK
08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
lol. it is a lot of fun. I dont hunt much anymore but I love to just go out and shoot. The AR can make this kinda expensive though. :)

at nearly 50 bucks a box? yes it can be very expensive LOL my uncle has a fully tatical AR15 and it is so much fun to shoot!!

LWM
08-24-2012, 09:49 PM
How often do you guys carry? for those who do

Anytime I walk out the door!

Chapman89
08-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I've had a Mossberg 500 for several years and have no complaints. My dad has an 870, no issues either. You really can't go wrong.

I carry a Glock 23 .40 in a Crossbreed Supertuck "look alike" that a glock forum member makes for half the cost. I bought it a couple days after my 21st birthday (2 years ago) and have shot probably 2,500 rounds through it at the range/back yard without any flaws! I've only added Trijicon night sights and polished the internals.

I also have a Browning Buckmark .22 in the nickle finish with the factory night sights and Houge grips and most recently a beautiful 1933 Mosin Nagant 91/30 with the Hex receiver! Its damn near perfect; scored it at a pawn shop for $125.

T1RKaZz
08-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Don't wanna be this guy but if you take care of a mossberg it pretty much bullet proof and there is nothing like that rack it gives me chills when I hear it so you can imagine what an intruder would feel

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk 2

brendon
08-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I also recommend the Remington 870 Tactical. I would like to get a field barrel for mine as well, with the tactical barrel/choke on it it is great even at moderate distances (50 yards).

Everyday carry? full dress is a Kimber Tactical Ultra in a Galco Kingtuk (very similar to the Crossbreed shown above) when I want to conceal or a Galco Paddlelite for open carry. Summer carry is a Ruger LC9 in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB beltclip holster until I find a better holster for it (not a lot of options yet). The LC9 is nice - not much bigger than the LCP but uses 9mm instead of .380. I also have a Ruger LCR .357 waiting for a decent ankle holster as a BUG.

Travis F
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Well I will contribute...

Have a Mossberg 500 18.5 with a Knoxx Recoil stock, Benelli M4, Benelli SuperNova Tactical with pistol grip with extended tube, M&P15 with some toys and a .22 conversion, CCW is currently a full size .40 S&W but that is going to be up for sale or traded on something more compact in the .40 family. Thats just my zombie/tactical toys, many others grace my gun safe. Grew up with guns, plan to teach my daughter the ehtics of good gun owernship and control!

Core XK
09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Well I will contribute...

Have a Mossberg 500 18.5 with a Knoxx Recoil stock, Benelli M4, Benelli SuperNova Tactical with pistol grip with extended tube, M&P15 with some toys and a .22 conversion, CCW is currently a full size .40 S&W but that is going to be up for sale or traded on something more compact in the .40 family. Thats just my zombie/tactical toys, many others grace my gun safe. Grew up with guns, plan to teach my daughter the ehtics of good gun owernship and control!

Quite a list you got there man lol I feel dimsy with my 9MM only haha

I see your in PA!!