PDA

View Full Version : small front installation problem

xk2006
08-24-2012, 07:23 AM
I just realized that the mounting kit in fact DOES NOT have a lower spring isolator. I went to the Monroe website and it reads as if it does, so I called them. They said it states "or" so it does not come with it. The shop already installed one and they sd it sits tight and steady and probably is not needed. They dont think any noise or vibration will come from there without it, even though it is metal to metal. They said most struts and springs are installed this way. Of course they are just a shop and are not enthusiasts as we are. My question is: HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO HAVE THE LOWER SPRING ISOLATOR? Should I have them stop and locate some immediately before they continue? Or, find some later and have them put them on later?

Matt
08-24-2012, 07:45 AM
You need that isolator in there.....you'll ruin the strut without it (wont take long for rust/corrosion to eat away at the perch especially with the spring rubbing away the material)

Matt
08-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Worst case, take them out of your stock struts.

06JeepXKHEMI
08-24-2012, 07:46 AM
they are pretty important they act as a seat to the coil, Im a perfectionist and wouldnt want it done half a$$, Id go grab some and have them install correctly

Matt
08-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Another thought, you'll also have less preload on the spring And therefore less lift without the isolators installed.

xk2006
08-24-2012, 07:48 AM
ok, the problem is the originals are gone cuz they were replaced by the Daystar isolators. I will have to go to the dealer immediately and get ripped off.

06JeepXKHEMI
08-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Call around to the local parts stores, may get lucky

07JeepXK
08-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Wow that suck man. Yes you definitely need both upper and and lower isolators. Im surprised that they even installed them without it!! I wish I would have seen your prior post. I could have told you it didnt come with the lower when you purchased the mounting kit.

Matt
08-24-2012, 08:01 AM
The shop *should* have contacts at local dealerships for parts. Dealerships normally run a mid-day parts delivery so see if the shop can get them first to save you the trouble.

xk2006
08-24-2012, 08:55 AM
two local dealers sd it would be working days before they can get them in. i am just going to order them from quadratec where they are the same dealer part, but much cheaper. i just had them finish the mount so i can get out. the shop sd they would re-do the job for half price, which is $90. that F sucks! the shop sd most struts do not have isolators so it wasnt a red flag for them. i looked at two cars, two suvs, and three trucks in their parking lot and all of them were direct metal to metal, spring to strut installed. either way, im really upset with monroe, cuz it clearly states that both isolators are included.
http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPart/monroePartSearchFromECatalog.do?partKey=467339&partNumber=905922&catalogKey=423&methodName=initialiseMonroe&catalogCode=monroe&locale=EN&loadStatus=ACTIVE

however, the XK looks great. it definitely raised the front pretty good. feels great on the road so far. waiting at firestone now for an alignment, thank god for the lifetime alignment purchase made many years ago. i guess they will have to re-do the alignment again once the isolators are put in. what a mess!

06JeepXKHEMI
08-24-2012, 08:59 AM
" Strut-Mate mounting kits can include*: Strut Mount, Bearing, Upper Spring Isolator, Lower Spring Isolator, or Upper Spring Seat. (*as applicable by OE design)"

Id be pissed to but it clearly states can include, but in item description is lists only 1 isolator.. I wouldnt recommend running without isolators on any vehicle, they are available for a reason, plus if you plan on wheeling Matt is right the metal on metal would mess up the strut..

Matt
08-24-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't recall ever taking apart a strut that didn't have some sort of isolator. They're not all as thick as ours.... sometimes they're just a thin layer of rubber and other times they're actually part of the upper mount mold.

Curious what vehicles you just saw metal/metal on?

07JeepXK
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Any clunking noises up front??

xk2006
08-24-2012, 12:55 PM
No noises YET! BTW Matt, after getting home and calming down, I went to a couple neighbors and looked at their struts and you are right, however thin, they did have some cushioning between the strut and spring. I probably did not want to see one earlier. So no doubt, I already ordered the lower spring isolator. Well another question is, how about the dust cover or boot? The original assembled strut has one, but the OME does not. Should I take it off and put it on, since I have to redo the entire thing anyway? Also the original upper spring isolator seems to be in great condition and is much thicker (gives me the impression that its better quality) than the one in the Monroe kit, should I use the old one too? Ugh!!! What a mess! What should have been a great day of pride turned out so far to be a CF!

06JeepXKHEMI
08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I know exactly what you are going thru man, its pretty stressful, but its worth it in the end trust me.. I had ordered everything UPS then lost 2 boxes of the parts only to get here late. Then I forgot to order front bump stops which stressed me out even more, but once I got it installed all stress went away.. Use the new isolators, mines as well replace while you are there

07JeepXK
08-24-2012, 01:47 PM
You don't need a dust cover boot. Just the original strut fork, OME strut, OME coil, upper and lower isolators, yellow bump stop and top mounting plate. That is all

xk2006
08-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. And for the advise, encouragement, and support. I gotta wait til next Friday to re-do it all and hopefully then I will be bragging about how good things are. It feels so close, but yet so far. Its gotta be done right, or its not done at all!

Matt
08-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah man, dont worry about that dust boot. The OME strut has a higher quality wiper seal that takes care of any debris.

I would use all new isolators, dont bother with the old ones even if they "look" thicker. That could easily just be the illusion of dispaced material and/or swelling of the polymer (water ingestion).

It may seem so far away, but before you know it this ordeal will be a thing of the past. So dont sweat it dude!