PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch "One Car Too Far"?

DetroitMarauder
08-26-2012, 07:48 PM
It is a new series that was on Discovery last night. Think of Bear Grylls with a Jeep. Kind of interesting.

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Nope missed it!

Matt
08-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Missed it too. Some of the guys in my jeep club watched it and were complaining. Seemed to be a case of being "too involved" with a sprot/hobby and therefore not liking "how" the producers did things. Since its for the general public, of which don't like to or care about offroading, some of the dramatizations are a stretch.

Core XK
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
What is the show about? never heard of it

Matt
08-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Basically they drop off 2 guys and a jeep in the middle of an area that its nearly impossible to get out of.

Core XK
08-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Basically they drop off 2 guys and a jeep in the middle of an area that its nearly impossible to get out of.

What channel?

Matt
08-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Discovery. ..I think

DetroitMarauder
08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
It's on Discovery channel. I thought it was kind of cool. You have to take these type of shows with a grain of salt though. It does give you an idea how capable a Wrangler can be and it's not all jacked up steroids either.

It's actually on right now.

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 08:08 PM
I'll have to see if it's on demand not sure how I missed it.

Core XK
08-26-2012, 08:13 PM
I am watching it now lol missed 13 minutes but eh

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 08:26 PM
I am watching it now lol missed 13 minutes but eh

Ok got it on LOL anyone else have to be up in 5hrs hahahahah

Core XK
08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Ok got it on LOL anyone else have to be up in 5hrs hahahahah

Yes I do lol

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Ok 30 secs in this guy sucks man let the clutch out in 4lo can't steer 4 locked up wheels lol

Core XK
08-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Ok 30 secs in this guy sucks man let the clutch out in 4lo can't steer 4 locked up wheels lol

This show is a little "different" lol

How modded do you think that wrangler is?

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Haven't seen much of it the axle shaft came out that's where I joined in. Looks like a 2-3" suspension lift on 33's.

Core XK
08-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Haven't seen much of it the axle shaft came out that's where I joined in. Looks like a 2-3" suspension lift on 33's.

I think its cool that its not like insanely upgraded :P

I have it on DVR now....time for some zzzs

Sal-XK
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
The jeep is cool the guys driving erk me LOL I'm watching some IRT now lol

Pixelcodex
08-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I watched the first and dvr'd the second (have not watched that yet). I think it is ok, specially since there are no shows that are anything like that, but the car "expert" is annoying as hell and seems like a big baby. I know all this crap is scripted, so I hope they tone it down a bit for the rest of the season.

Core XK
08-27-2012, 05:14 AM
I watched the first and dvr'd the second (have not watched that yet). I think it is ok, specially since there are no shows that are anything like that, but the car "expert" is annoying as hell and seems like a big baby. I know all this crap is scripted, so I hope they tone it down a bit for the rest of the season.

Yeah I agree lol it is a little annoying....I actually ended up muting it for about 10 mins while on TUJ :D

ScorpionCrawler
08-27-2012, 05:22 AM

X2 to that.
But I still watched the first 2 episodes.
I'll rank this higher than gold rush for now.
Love Dakota Fred in gold rush.

BonesWK
08-27-2012, 05:23 AM
I saw the first episode and it was Meh.. Like what Pixel Said - Expert Guy is annoying for sure. The survival guy is kinda cool.

Super scripted, serious, in the first episode the logs they "found" in the water - freshly sawed down haha. The expert doesnt know how to drive...

But it does kind of make me want a 4 cyl TJ haha. Oh and NO WAY that thing has a D35 in it still.

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Gold rush I could watch this turd going down hill in neutral just using his brakes was a joke that was the straw for me.

DetroitMarauder
08-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Yeah, like I said you have to look at it for what it is and the type of "reality" show this is. It's just cool to basically see an hour long Jeep commercial.

Pixelcodex
08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
<rant> Ok, I just watched the first portion of this week's episode online while I had lunch. I forgot about this annoying part from the first episode: "I❤WU"? Who the hell wears a cap that says they love themselves? Sorry, but coming from this little whiner it makes it even worse. </rant>

Pixelcodex
08-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Ok. Watching more and could not help myself. I say we add stupid "WU quotes" to this thread. I will start with the first:

"Thanks for sharing your ice hole with me."

Matt
08-27-2012, 04:10 PM
That would require us actually watching it. lol i'll pass!

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 05:13 PM
That would require us actually watching it. lol i'll pass!

Your the lucky one I spent 10 minuets of my life I'll never get back watching this last night.

Matt
08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
hahaha i know the feeling man. I watched 10 minutes of the Jersey Shore once because I turned it off and told my wife if I ever caught her watching that crap again I was going to block MTV and not tell her the password.

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 05:33 PM
hahaha i know the feeling man. I watched 10 minutes of the Jersey Shore once because I turned it off and told my wife if I ever caught her watching that crap again I was going to block MTV and not tell her the password.

Haahahaa my eyes bleed just from sitting threw there promo commercials

Pixelcodex
08-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, in my defense, my wife and kids were not home and I had to do something while the wk cooled to take the pics... Hahaha

Matt
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
You would've been better off throwing in a taylor swift CD and drinking a fruity beer to pass some time

Pixelcodex
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Lol. I don't even know who that is, but I am good with that.
To clean up my reputation, I did drink a Sam Adams and had some peanuts while I waited...

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 05:41 PM
To clean up my reputation, I did drink a Sam Adams and had some peanuts while I waited...

There ya go welcome to the men's club LOL

Matt
08-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Want a good laugh?

Read posts 275-283 here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?792-Matt-s-Garage&p=34662&viewfull=1#post34662

And then jump to this thread here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2042-New-Country-Fan!&p=35133&viewfull=1#post35133

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Want a good laugh?

Read posts 275-283 here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?792-Matt-s-Garage&p=34662&viewfull=1#post34662

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2042-New-Country-Fan!&p=35133&viewfull=1#post35133

Okay maybe it's been a long day so break it down stupid style what am I missing.

Matt
08-27-2012, 05:56 PM
That wasn't for you... that was for Pixelcodex to bring him up to speed on the "fruity beer" and "taylor swift" origins. You happened to respond before i submitted it.

Pixelcodex
08-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Want a good laugh?

Read posts 275-283 here:

Oh, I remember that thread, so I caught the reference. For the record, my wife likes Blue Moon, so that qualifies a a fruity beer...

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 05:58 PM
That wasn't for you... that was for Pixelcodex to bring him up to speed on the "fruity beer" and "taylor swift" origins. You happened to respond before i submitted it.

LOL sorry long day bro.

Matt
08-27-2012, 05:59 PM
LOL sorry long day bro.

No sweat man. Kick back and relax to a [non-fruity flavored] cold one!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/drinks-1.gif

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 06:03 PM
No sweat man. Kick back and relax to a [non-fruity flavored] cold one!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/drinks-1.gif

LOL I was dragging a touch this morning because I killed my bottle last night :)

Pixelcodex
08-27-2012, 06:14 PM

I remembered the fruity beer reference. TS I had to google now.:)

Matt
08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
lol got it. Sal can tell you all about her.

Sal-XK
08-27-2012, 06:47 PM
lol got it. Sal can tell you all about her.

Listen here tough guy!

Core XK
08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
You would've been better off throwing in a taylor swift CD and drinking a fruity beer to pass some time

LMAO

Matt
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Listen here tough guy!

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Core XK
08-27-2012, 07:46 PM
I recall matt bobbing his head to TS on our 3rd trip to home depot...

Matt
08-27-2012, 07:50 PM
First off, that was our 4th trip to Home Depot.

Secondly, I couldn't get into the song.... you must've wore out that CD by playing it so much it just kept skipping.

Core XK
08-28-2012, 05:20 AM
First off, that was our 4th trip to Home Depot.

Secondly, I couldn't get into the song.... you must've wore out that CD by playing it so much it just kept skipping.

haha

AJeepZJ
08-29-2012, 04:46 PM
It is a new series that was on Discovery last night. Think of Bear Grylls with a Jeep. Kind of interesting.

A friend was just telling me about this show last night. I've made a point to watch the 1st episode on HULU tonight.

BonesWK
08-30-2012, 05:05 AM
A friend was just telling me about this show last night. I've made a point to watch the 1st episode on HULU tonight.

Thoughts AJ? I've seen reviews from Awesome to Meh.

Core XK
08-30-2012, 07:32 AM
I think the show is interesting but the "actors" are really annoying which makes me not care about watching lok

BonesWK
08-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I think the show is interesting but the "actors" are really annoying which makes me not care about watching lok

Im in the same boat dude

AJeepZJ
08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Thoughts AJ? I've seen reviews from Awesome to Meh.

I thought it was decent. I'm no critic but i'm particularly critical of Jeep shows. But I can put on 'two hats'.

I can take the show at face value for what it is, entertainment, and pretty much enjoy the show looking from the outside in.

But on the other hand, knowing the challenges associated with trips like this, I can look from the outside in. One of the main problems I have with shows like this is that it will always attract the intermediate-novice Jeepers. A truely experienced Jeeper traversing these distances ob obstacles knows the weak points of his/her vehicle. Consequently, they know what spares/back ups to bring, and the tools to get the job done. So, when something breaks down and the 'actors' are like "oh crap", and the show picks up 'suspense' - in the back of my mind, i'm just thinking... "ur stupid for not bringing 'x' and 'y' with you.

Although not a show, I really like some of the videos up on project-jk because they go through hell, crap breaks, and they fix it on-site. They are expecting things like this. Servicing or repairing drive shafts, pinions, and gears in the middle of nowhere... stuff like that gets me all hot and bothered because that's the kind of itemization and use of talent that I LIKE to see.

Depending on what you watch and what 'level' you are at in your Jeep abilities is probably one of the good determinants for how this show has been received.

Pixelcodex
08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I thought it was decent. I'm no critic but i'm particularly critical of Jeep shows. But I can put on 'two hats'.

I can take the show at face value for what it is, entertainment, and pretty much enjoy the show looking from the outside in.

But on the other hand, knowing the challenges associated with trips like this, I can look from the outside in. One of the main problems I have with shows like this is that it will always attract the intermediate-novice Jeepers. A truely experienced Jeeper traversing these distances ob obstacles knows the weak points of his/her vehicle. Consequently, they know what spares/back ups to bring, and the tools to get the job done. So, when something breaks down and the 'actors' are like "oh crap", and the show picks up 'suspense' - in the back of my mind, i'm just thinking... "ur stupid for not bringing 'x' and 'y' with you.

Well, I am not going to defend the show, but disagree with your point of view. The whole premise of the show is that they are "unprepared" and have to make due with what they have, even if that is faked. What you are saying is like criticizing Bear Grylls (from Man vs Wild) for not bringing a lighter, some cookware and MREs...

Matt
08-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Good point!

Plus it IS tv. .... would be a boring show for viewers watching a Jeep break down and they pull out all the right tools and parts to fix it.

AJeepZJ
09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Well, I am not going to defend the show, but disagree with your point of view. The whole premise of the show is that they are "unprepared" and have to make due with what they have, even if that is faked. What you are saying is like criticizing Bear Grylls (from Man vs Wild) for not bringing a lighter, some cookware and MREs...

Not true, these are two nearly two completely different comparisons. A person who is survival savvy can survive without much of anything. But there is no amount of 4x4 savvy that will prevent you from being stranded in the middle of no where without the proper equipment or spare parts. There is no way around that.

Also, it seems you missed the first part of my response I stated I can look at the show at face-value and find it entertaining :).

Good point!

Plus it IS tv. .... would be a boring show for viewers watching a Jeep break down and they pull out all the right tools and parts to fix it.

It's easy to say pull out the right tools and fix it. But we all know that is not the case. Having the equipment is half the struggle. Actually performing the repairs such that it works is another.

Sal-XK
09-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I thought one was a survival expert and one a jeep expert????? This is where I got annoyed at the jeep expert not knowing how to properly wheel a Jeep to include descending in neutral brakes only WTF or getting freaked out over a little tilting. That guy being called an expert annoyed the crap out of me but if that's not the case then I'll reevaluate my opinion.

Matt
09-01-2012, 11:15 AM
It's easy to say pull out the right tools and fix it. But we all know that is not the case. Having the equipment is half the struggle. Actually performing the repairs such that it works is another.

Having tools is a struggle? Na... The tool box I bring with me to RC has enough supplies to completely take apart the front suspension. Actually performing the work is also trivial (for an expert anyways... which that guy is supposed to be).

But like said, there's no suspense in "oh crap we busted an axle, but its ok let me pull out these few tools and i'll have us going again in 45 minutes".

AJeepZJ
09-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Having tools is a struggle? Na... The tool box I bring with me to RC has enough supplies to completely take apart the front suspension. Actually performing the work is also trivial (for an expert anyways... which that guy is supposed to be).

But like said, there's no suspense in "oh crap we busted an axle, but its ok let me pull out these few tools and i'll have us going again in 45 minutes".

Well... unfortunately, mechanical failure is not limited to suspension components, and not everything is defaulted to 45 mins. This show is entertaining for you, and that's cool. But this isn't it for me. I'm more interested in the repair and go.

06JeepXKHEMI
09-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Ok so after reading the posts/rants about the show I decided to give a go and watch it. I caught one off youtube where they are in the rainforest and honestly the shows not that bad. This Jeep "expert" is annoying and in my opinion no more of an "expert" than I and has no balls, but part of his job on the show is show suspense. The survival expert guy Ive got no beef with. I do feel the show is mapped out else these guys would have no shot but I do find it entertaining. I guess cause watching any Jeep off road to me is entertaining and make get the urge to go wheeling. I get everyones points about not having parts, not being an expert etc. I think criticizing it from our point of view and you experts point of view are different than those of the people who dont wheel and arent expert might enjoy. I will be watching more episodes to get some laughs when there is nothing else on..

Matt
09-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Well... unfortunately, mechanical failure is not limited to suspension components, and not everything is defaulted to 45 mins. This show is entertaining for you, and that's cool. But this isn't it for me. I'm more interested in the repair and go.

You're taking my post too literally and not seeing the big picture. lol this show "isn't for me", and neither is the "repair and go" :p

Sal-XK
09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
You're taking my post too literally and not seeing the big picture. lol this show "isn't for me", and neither is the "repair and go" :p

Well my favorite two episodes of top hear uk are
The baleese and arctic one. They broke a lot and repaired there rides and I don't think it tools the entertainment out of it at all.

Matt
09-01-2012, 08:58 PM
LMAO the best part about Sal's post is i know he's been drinking. Hope you and AJ had a blast dude!!

Quoted to preserve the awesomeness:

The baleese and arctic one. They broke a lot and repaired there rides and I don't think it tools the entertainment out of it at all.

AJeepZJ
09-01-2012, 09:06 PM
LMAO the best part about Sal's post is i know he's been drinking. Hope you and AJ had a blast dude!!

Quoted to preserve the awesomeness:

LOLOLOLOL... I left sober, but i programmed the wrong address into my Nav, I didn't realize it untill I pulled up into the driveway. Needless to say, I got home about 20 minutes late.

Matt
09-01-2012, 09:17 PM
The best part is the sig quote. lol you guys rule.

Pixelcodex
09-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Lol! After reading Matt's comment i understand it more. Took me a minute to figure out what "baleese" was... It's one thing that is great about this
Forum: I feel like I know some of you without ever meeting...

Sal, You are comparing it here to the best car show of all time. Both in terms of Clarkson, Hammond and May, and and production value and pretty much everything about it, nothing can touch TG uk, even all the lame attempts at making other TG. But it feels they take longer and longer vacations each year, and we need something to watch on the meantime. Can't wait for the Christmas special!