PDA

View Full Version : Superlift System + Flashpaq - EGR Module???

Matt
09-03-2012, 05:58 AM
For you guys that are running the Superlift, did you use the EGR module or another tuning method like the Flashpaq?

I'm wondering if the Flashpaq negates the need for the EGR module, which I think it does but not 100% sure. I know there's a steering position sensor so the computer knows how much difference to expect in wheel speeds for a given steering wheel position; so if the EGR calibrates that for the added track width then I would presume its still required.

1USMC
09-03-2012, 06:50 AM
When I was in the market for my 4" Super Lift Both SL and AEV said I should get the module.( It was reported they worked on the module together.. As far as I know they may be splitting the profit.. LOL )..

In the module's advertisement it states ... " The AEV EGR (Electronic Geometry Recalibration) Module’s primary purpose is to help the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) system work with the Superlift 4” Suspension System (Part #’s K829 & K829R) in all 2005-07 Grand Cherokees and Commanders. When used properly it will
correct 95% of all low speed false activations of the system.
The AEV EGR Module allows the user to reprogram several factory parameters such as tire size
and gear ratio for accurate speedometer readings. The unit also allows the activation of features such as “one touch lane change” and “reverse mirror tilt” as an added benefit."

I have never been able to get the "mirror tilt " to work but never messed with it that much or even doubled checked to see if my year has the feature.

I was getting a lot of ESP lights before I installed the EGR, now I might get one every couple of months and it goes out after one or two starts.( and before Flashpaq installation)

OBTW.. the "horn honk " to confirm the program was successfully downloaded, did not work with mine. I called AEV and was told as long as I could hear " all the relays behind the dash cycling " it worked.. I heard them ... and it worked !

I installed the Superchip later and used it to correct the speedometer error for my tires etc. Unfortunately I don't know for sure "if the Flashpaq negates the need for the EGR module". And like everything with a computer in it, I know that the Fashpaq has been updated with new and better features sense I got mine !

For quick reference for other readers here is the link to AEV's EGR instructions >> http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/isheets/AEV_EGR_module_instructions.pdf

Matt
09-03-2012, 07:01 AM
I also noticed that the superlift website says K864 comes with the EGR module, is this the case? Websites like Quadratec list the module as a separate part to order.

Ideally I'd like to NOT need the EGR since I already have the flashpaq, so if I can save ~$300 thats the way to go!

And what really throws me through a loop, because I dont fully understand "how" these parts actually change the programming, is what happens if you use the EGR to set the tire size then use the flashpaq to set the tire size? Does one override the other?

07JeepXK
09-03-2012, 07:06 AM
My buddy with the 05 WK 3.7 running the 4 inch BDS and 3.73 gears had the AEV Module for about two years with no problems. When we did the gear swap he had to get the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator. We tried keeping the AEV module installed and the tune with the Hypertech but his Jeep wouldn't allow both to be programmed at the same time. We ended up taking out the AEV module and he's now just running the Hypertech Speedo calibrator upgraded to the Maxx energy programmer or whatever it's called. He has had no ESP issues with the AEV module.

Matt
09-03-2012, 07:18 AM
^^That's kind of what I was thinking would/should happen.... double programming just wasn't making sense. And if the main function of the EGR module is to correct for tire size to resolve ESP issues, well my Flashpaq does that.

I'll have to ask Jon to find out exactly what comes with the K864 Master kit. If the EGR is NOT included, then its easy enough to install everything without the EGR and see what happens. But if it is included, could probably save a few bucks by ordering the kit without the 5154 box (EGR)

Also wish Superlift would update their site; the picture shows the kit with the rear radius arm drop brackets instead of the new longer links.

07JeepXK
09-03-2012, 07:59 AM
How does the flashpaq fix ESP issues?? I have the flashpaq and everyonce and a while the dash lights up like a Christmas tree when I'm making u-turns and what not. That all started after I added the 33's. I can get Jays AEV module for free so I'm not really worried about that. It just sucks because I don't want to lose the superchips tune.

Matt
09-03-2012, 08:04 AM
ESP issues are associated to tire diameter changes. What diameter did you program into your computer? And whats the "effective" tire diameter? Measure from the center of your hub to the ground, that's the effective radius; double that for the effective diameter.

07JeepXK
09-03-2012, 08:12 AM
ESP issues are associated to tire diameter changes. What diameter did you program into your computer? And whats the "effective" tire diameter? Measure from the center of your hub to the ground, that's the effective radius; double that for the effective diameter.

Yea I know that the ESP issues are related to tire diameter. When I installed the 33's I programmed the new tire size with the flashpaq before the XK even left the garage. I measured the tire diameter two ways. First I measured from the ground up to the top of the tire. Then I measured by making a chalk line on the ground and tire and pulled the XK forward until the chalk line on the tire made one complete rotation and extended the line on the tire to the ground. Now that I had to line on the ground I measured the distance between the two lines and used the formula to compute the tire diameter. That number was within 1/2 inch of just measuring the tire from the ground to the top of the tire. I then took the average of the two measurements and came up with a solid number for the tire diameter. Plugged that number into the flashpaq and the speedo is dead on with gps. I also paced a stock vehicle to make sure both speedos were reading the same mph. I can't remember what they measured but I think it was somewhere around 32 inches for the 33's.

Matt
09-03-2012, 08:18 AM
This goes back to my original question about "what does the EGR" module actually do.

If it just reprograms for tire size, like you did, then your ESP issue won't be solved and you may even have a sensor that's slightly out of range causing your problems.

07JeepXK
09-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Exactly. I bet that's all it really does. I think a call to AEV is needed because I can't lose my Flashpaq. My jeep doesn't like the stock tune for some reason. If its not tuned to 91 octane the tranny shifts really bad (not tire size related).

XK N00b
09-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Does the Egr adjust for a higher center of gravity due to lift/taller tires. I also have the flashpaq and am considering passing on the egr when I buy the SL. But I dont want to sacrifice one for the other

Matt
09-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Does the Egr adjust for a higher center of gravity due to lift/taller tires.

That's one of the unkowns. It's a mystery right now whether it does anything beyond compensating for tire size (in addition to some other fancy features that have nothing to do with the lift).

Might make an account on the AEV forum to get some answers.....

Core XK
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
So matt.....looks like your gonna do the UCA/LCA when you do the superlift? I'd be glad to lend a hand!

1USMC
09-03-2012, 11:57 AM
...... I think a call to AEV is needed .....

That would be my technique also....

Matt
09-03-2012, 12:00 PM
That would be my technique also....

Im surprised this hasn't already been hashed out. Figured someone already went through it.

07JeepXK
09-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Well like I said my buddy jay is no longer using the AEV module without any issues. He used the Hypertech to program both new tire size and new gear ratio.

1USMC
09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't already been hashed out. Figured someone already went through it.

Wow,,..... no fooling !!

If the Hypertech does cover everything needed that the AEV module does ( as its starting to sound like with the inputs here .. 07's friend Jay ..) that would be great news to pass out and save $ with !!! ( to late for me as the Superchip was a much later add on , once again , my luck.. Lol..)

07JeepXK
09-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Wow,,..... no fooling !!

If the Hypertech does cover everything needed that the AEV module does ( as its starting to sound like with the inputs here .. 07's friend Jay ..) that would be great news to pass out and save $ with !!! ( to late for me as the Superchip was a much later add on , once again , my luck.. Lol..)

But the superchips flashpaq does the same thing as the Hypertech if not more. So I don't see why it would matter which tuner you have as long as it corrects the speedo. Like I said I'm running 33's now with really no problem. Just every once and a while doing u-turns causes the traction control like to turn on. I usually hit the traction control button before I start to drive anyways which fixes the issue.

valpacer
09-03-2012, 03:48 PM
The EGR module works 2 ways. THe first is a straight tyre size, gear ratio and other feature flash programmer. The second involves the re-tuning for want of a better word of the stability program. If you run without the EGR plugged in you have to disable the ESP via the button or the ESP program will kick an and brake wheels on most tighter corners as the extra height changes the COG and the forces that act on the sensors. I know I cannot run without the module, a simple 90 deg turn send the wheel braking mad and slow the Jeep to a crawl before letting it continue. With the module, i need to treat it like i stole it to get the same result, which is how it should be.

I know a couple of others have gotten away without the EGR, but i have never been able to. I know I have the GDE and EGR working with no problem on each other, but the GDE is a totally different type of tune.

07JeepXK
09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
The EGR module works 2 ways. THe first is a straight tyre size, gear ratio and other feature flash programmer. The second involves the re-tuning for want of a better word of the stability program. If you run without the EGR plugged in you have to disable the ESP via the button or the ESP program will kick an and brake wheels on most tighter corners as the extra height changes the COG and the forces that act on the sensors. I know I cannot run without the module, a simple 90 deg turn send the wheel braking mad and slow the Jeep to a crawl before letting it continue. With the module, i need to treat it like i stole it to get the same result, which is how it should be.

I know a couple of others have gotten away without the EGR, but i have never been able to. I know I have the GDE and EGR working with no problem on each other, but the GDE is a totally different type of tune.

I understand what your saying, however when you program for the proper tire size, this fixes that issue that your explaining. I can bet that if you were to pull the AEV module and correct the tire size with some other means of tuning that you wouldnt have that issue anymore. So again, does the module really do anything besides correct the tire size to fix the problem. I think im going to call AEV tomorrow and have them explain to me exactly what it does.

Matt
09-03-2012, 04:18 PM
It boils down to if the EGR sophisticated enough to alter the coefficients used in the programming for gyrometer (or accelerometers, not sure which one is used). If not, and it also doesn't alter the sensor output of the steering wheel position, then all it does is alter tire size which is pretty basic and can be accomplished by many other methods.

1USMC
09-03-2012, 06:29 PM
......... I think im going to call AEV tomorrow and have them explain to me exactly what it does.

Look'n forward to that update !! ;-)

Matt
09-22-2012, 04:44 AM
I got a response from AEV. Due to the superlift knuckles the steering angle (direction of the tires) is different for the same change in steering wheel degrees. So as you turn the steering wheel the same amount, the turning radius of the vehicle changes before/after the lift. Because of this, the computer sees a different wheel speed differential than it expects and that's what causes issues. The EGR calibrates this.

I'm waiting to hear back about how they recommend using the module in conjunction with programmers.

07JeepXK
09-22-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm selling an AEV EGR module for $200 shipped. It retails for around $300. I'll post it in the for sale section later today or tomorrow with pictures. It was used in my buddy's 05 WK.

pjmjr508
10-14-2014, 08:35 PM
This is the issue I am having right now.
I unplug the AEV unit & the BAS & TC lights go away & do not turn on.
With it plugged in the lights come on & do not turn off.
I have reset the AEV unit back to factory settings
Programed it per the instructions with all of the dims in the off spot and the lights come on once I start it. I then reprogrammed with just the tire size, same issue. Then I programmed for tire size & axle size & the rest off. Same issue.
Also the superchip Flashpaq is set to stock

lekmedm
10-15-2014, 04:50 AM
I'm confused... You programmed tire size using the EGR? When the lights are on, does it still drive ok, or are those systems active?