PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get upgraded LCA?

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Well I had to much fun over the weekend wheelin @ TSF and I have bent my Pass side LCA. The local shop said $688.00 plus tax to replace with a MOOG unit (just the one LCA, not both sides).

Thought that was kinda high and I know Moog is good, just wasn't sure if that would be the best for a replacement. Also the next question are they better stronger than OEM? Last question if I do go with a non OEM should I replace both sides together?

I will be posting pics this week in a thread from the wheeling trip, Had a blast & earned a lot of love from the other wheelers for the XK Wahooo

Matt
09-04-2012, 04:11 PM
$688???

I got the my arms from RockAuto... $140/each. Easier to install than a 2" spacer lift.... get 2, throw them in and then go get an alignment. Easily <$400 total for BOTH.

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 04:16 PM
are they OEM or a stronger brand?

Also does anyone know of a way to better protect them so this does not happen again other than not hitting a rock in the rock garden again?

Matt
09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I got the Mevotech brand.

No one makes a stronger version. The difference will be who puts the bushings in there.

I'd be interested in seeing where the arm bent. Must've been one hell of a hit! haven't heard of anyone else bending an arm yet...

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm special
well that's what my off road club said lol

The shop showed me.
the pass tire is back about 1 in compared to the drivers side

Matt
09-04-2012, 04:27 PM
The shop showed me.
the pass tire is back about 1 in compared to the drivers side

Did they show you where the arm actually failed/bent?

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 04:28 PM
No.

Matt
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
...... it's still at the shop i presume?

valpacer
09-04-2012, 04:31 PM
That must have been quite a hit, they are cast too so I would expect it to fracture before it bent!

I'd be checking the mounts to the subframe as well, especially the rear of the lca.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Matt
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. I've seen my fair share of bend LCA's on vehicles.... but normally during winter and people smacking into curbs at 30+ mph. Wondering what else might be wrong.

07JeepXK
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Hmmm. Bent LCA. I'd love to see pictures of that!!! If that really is the issue, get them from rock auto like Matt said. That's where I got mine. I went with the pair that was a little more expensive but there really is no difference. I wasn't even aware that MOOG made LCAs for our vehicles.

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 05:34 PM
No not at the shop I looked at the Spot where it connects to the frame & they look ok. The more I look at it does look kinda bent. I do the rock auto ones for both sides & go from there.

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
On my phone leaving work now. I will take some pics & post.

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
got home & crawled under it & it does look push back. So are going to order replacements for both sides, and be busy on saturday.

I also had a welder friend look under the XK & talked about some ideas for shielding to reduce the chances of damges like this in the future.

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
That must have been quite a hit, they are cast too so I would expect it to fracture before it bent!

I'd be checking the mounts to the subframe as well, especially the rear of the lca.

When this happened I was on a rocky trail with tree stumps & while watching for rocks I must of missed the tree stump. When I hit it, it sent me backwards maybe 3 ft. So yes it was a pretty good hit.

I will post pics once I get them off the jeep

valpacer
09-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Ahhh, you drive like I do, all is clear! :D keen to see the pics, the lca is the only suspension component I haven't busted yet!

pjmjr508
09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Hmmm. Bent LCA. I'd love to see pictures of that!!! If that really is the issue, get them from rock auto like Matt said. That's where I got mine. I went with the pair that was a little more expensive but there really is no difference. I wasn't even aware that MOOG made LCAs for our vehicles.

per the est that the shop gave me for the replacement this is the part # 042-295 for the ball Joint & CA961B for the LCA

will post pics of the old when I go to replace them

Matt
09-05-2012, 03:14 AM
When this happened I was on a rocky trail with tree stumps & while watching for rocks I must of missed the tree stump. When I hit it, it sent me backwards maybe 3 ft. So yes it was a pretty good hit.

I will post pics once I get them off the jeep

lol is there video if that one?!?! :)

Sal-XK
09-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Hey bro I did the same exact thing you did missed a rock hit it so hard it physically hurt. My tire was pushed back at least 1" as well. It was the ball joint that was messed up the lower one. So I replace my lower ball joint realigned it all is good. Mine or the shops biggest problem was my lca bolts are all chewed up LOL

pjmjr508
09-05-2012, 08:05 AM
lol is there video if that one?!?! :)

no videos, I wish I had some. I was driving. we had about 30 rigs running trails together. so no real time for spotters & taking videos or we would be all day on one trail. but if you want to get an idea of the trails I was on until I can post pics that I have from the weekend. look up Firebrake 5 & Rocky Uphill @TSF in OR.

pjmjr508
09-14-2012, 11:55 AM
well I replaced the LCAs on both sides lastnight what a PITA but its done & its dropped off to get it aligned today so it should be good. It was bent, I have pics to show.