PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Shift Module?

ItsMeKO3
09-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Hey guys. I had my brother in law take my Jeep to the shop yesterday (local Jeep dealer) because my check engine light came on last week. The light went off the day after it came on. I didn't get the code it threw, but he said I'm going to need a new Transmission Shift Module. I'm not sure what that is, or even does. All I know is he said it is an $800 part. He said he didn't think it needed to be done immediately, but I'm looking to see if anyone else knows anything about it? The Jeep seems to be driving fine, and I haven't noticed it shifting any different than it ever has. Hope someone knows something lol. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Matt
09-06-2012, 06:44 AM
This actually sounds familiar. ..... IIRC there was actually a sensor that's known to be an issue and make it seem like the module was the problem. I can't remember who recently went through this but hopefully they'll chime in.

ItsMeKO3
09-06-2012, 07:27 AM
I hope so. I google searched it and didn't find much on the WK. I read a couple cases where people were saying they cleaned the connections, and I guess it cleared up the issue. Even if I have to replace it, my concern is, is this just the start of transmission problems? Or is this part more of an electrical issue and once replaced, problem solved?

Matt
09-06-2012, 07:33 AM
More of an electrical issue. Trans internals going bad have their own types of DTCs.

ItsMeKO3
09-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Well that's good to know. Thanks Matt.

07JeepXK
09-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Have you tried pricing parts online and fixing it yourself? As long as its not something inside the transmission I think you could save yourself a lot of money

ItsMeKO3
09-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Yea I thought about this. I'm going to try to read up a bit more on it and if its something not to difficult. If I can do it I'll get the part number from the dealer and try to order it online.