PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter

Core XK
09-19-2012, 01:18 PM
So there is a shop right near my apartment doing a promotion of 50% off remote starters including install. The total price is $150.00

Anyone ever have a remote start done by someone other then the dealer? any issues that could happen? is this a stupid idea? lol

hoaxci5
09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I think I mentioned my wife's van has one, but it's old enough to not have a fancy built in key fob controller thingy..

It's worked flawlessly since day one, and I'd imagine that if it a reputable shop you won't have any issue with it being on your jeep either. But you might have to carry an extra fob..

Core XK
09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
I think I mentioned my wife's van has one, but it's old enough to not have a fancy built in key fob controller thingy..

It's worked flawlessly since day one, and I'd imagine that if it a reputable shop you won't have any issue with it being on your jeep either. But you might have to carry an extra fob..

Well I was referred to the shop and am told they are reputable. I will call them and see if it is any different for a commander. I have wanted one for a long time lol

Matt
09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Might want to check with a local dealer.... It probably won't be much more to get the Jeep remote start installed (hell its all practically built in already and is probably just a receiver and some programming).

For reference, i just went with a friend to order her 2013 JKU and it was actually cheaper to have the dealer install the remote start rather than order it with the package. I believe it was $250 (which sounds like 2 keys and some programming to me)

Core XK
09-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Might want to check with a local dealer.... It probably won't be much more to get the Jeep remote start installed (hell its all practically built in already and is probably just a receiver and some programming).

For reference, i just went with a friend to order her 2013 JKU and it was actually cheaper to have the dealer install the remote start rather than order it with the package. I believe it was $250 (which sounds like 2 keys and some programming to me)

Maybe they gave her a discount for buying a new jeep? I think dealers charge $500+ but I could be wrong. I will check with the dealer.

Matt
09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
He didn't use it as a selling point. She was literally just checking off the boxes of the jeep she wanted to order, no bargaining or anything, and when they got to the remote start he told her not to check it because they can do it cheaper there. He even told her not to order the slush mats and to get the weathertech's for cheaper on her own.

It's definitely worth a call to a few dealers. I'm sure some will try to bump up the price for profit... but if its literally a new FOB and some programming, i'd go that route.

Edit: just looked in the parts manual. Looks like $130 worth of parts..

DetroitMarauder
09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
You'll probably find that deal will end up ballooning when all the required "extras" are added in. That price just gets you in the door.

Core XK
09-19-2012, 06:49 PM
He didn't use it as a selling point. She was literally just checking off the boxes of the jeep she wanted to order, no bargaining or anything, and when they got to the remote start he told her not to check it because they can do it cheaper there. He even told her not to order the slush mats and to get the weathertech's for cheaper on her own.

It's definitely worth a call to a few dealers. I'm sure some will try to bump up the price for profit... but if its literally a new FOB and some programming, i'd go that route.

Edit: just looked in the parts manual. Looks like $130 worth of parts..

Thanks for looking that up man. I will call around