PDA

View Full Version : Whining sound from transmission?

brendon
09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
For the last couple of weeks I have noticed a whining sound that seems to be coming from the transmission area. It matches engine speed and only occurs when in gear (not in park or neutral).

Any guesses on what I might be up against? I suspect torque converter as this has always seemed a bit problematic, not always engaging right away after a cold start. Would a failing torque converter whine or should I focus my attention elsewhere?

Matt
09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
How many miles do you have and when was the last fluid/filter change?

brendon
09-29-2012, 07:07 AM
I am at about 95k miles. I am overdue for a fluid change, I think I did it at about 55k or so. Filters and all. I checked the fluid and it seems ok.

07JeepXK
09-29-2012, 10:20 AM
If you only have 40k on it since the fluid change your not over due

brendon
10-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Had it at the dealer today for them to give me some insight. If it needs major tranny work I don't feel like digging into it myself right now...

Of course the noise wasn't as bad today as it was the last few days. After a short ride with the shop manager, he said it could be a bad alternator. I think he's on crack because the sound isn't coming from anywhere near the alternator. He suggested changing the fluid and filters and see if it gets better; which I was planning on doing anyway.