PDA

View Full Version : HD UCA's

bruijr
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Recently I was in contact with HM Engineering to order some new pins for my HD UCA's. While talking with them they told me they still had some HD UCA's for the Commander in stock but nobody to sell these for them.
I jumped in to make these available to others in need of some more Heavy Duty parts.

Currently I have two sets at home ready to be shipped and an other six sets coming in the future (have some missing parts which are being fabricated as we speak).

These are the exact same HD UCA's GetLost4x4 used to sell on the "other forum".

I sell them for USD $575 shipped within the US. I will ship worldwide but higher shipping cost are involved so PM me for shipping rates outside the US.
They come with stainless steel pins and grade 8 nuts (see pictures below).

PM me for more information.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/08/IMG_5841-3.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/08/IMG_5849-2.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/08/IMG_5844-3.jpg

LWM
08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
It is good to see more of these availble, Thanks for taking on this item!

wrenchin hobo
08-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Do the pins have to be replaced often? And I'm guessing these help significantly with alighment issues with a lifted xk?

Thanks for offering these.

J

bruijr
08-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Do the pins have to be replaced often?

So far I know of two situation that somebody needed new pins. One guy because the shop who installed the UCA's mounted them upside down. That way the pins will interfere with the bearing housing resulting in bended pins. The other who needed new pins was me. I bought my HD UCA's used and the owner before me put some very heavy use on them. Right Tom.....??? I've seen them going down, then up and down again the Devil's Staircase in Sedona.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5UfIPPRII

Sal-XK
08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
wow that seems expensive how much are the stock ones?

HueyPilotVN
08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
I think that when we did the group buy for the UCA's they were over $600. Phunkeydude was not just going up and down that staircase, he was jumping from the top like Thelma and Louise.

bruijr
08-02-2010, 02:43 PM
wow that seems expensive how much are the stock ones?

That's not too bad. Stock UCA's sell for almost USD $200 a piece without shipping. Check: http://www.justforjeeps.com/frupcoar.html
I don't know the price the dealer asks, but it's likely to be more than the once on the site above.

Simular kits for the Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Pathfinder sell for USD $650 and more.

LWM
08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Mine are still in the garage, I guess I need another wrenching party so I can get them installed.

I copied your buy/sell thread and moved the discussion over here so the ad can remain an ad only, if you want to bruijr you can link back to this thread.

bruijr
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Mine are still in the garage, I guess I need another wrenching party so I can get them installed.

Jon, my UCA's have to get powder coated. Once they're done we can install both yours and mine. Maybe a BBQ after that at my place.....

brendon
08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I would love to have a set of these, but I have too many other irons in the fire right now...

LWM
08-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Jon, my UCA's have to get powder coated. Once they're done we can install both yours and mine. Maybe a BBQ after that at my place.....

Sounds like a good idea!

07JeepXK
08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Thats definately the going rate for a set of HD UCA's.

bruijr
08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Thats definately the going rate for a set of HD UCA's.

Does that mean you're going to take one set off my hands? :)

LWM
09-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Thought I would give you a bump on these and see how many you have left for sale! Maybe the Arizona guys want to pick some up and do a wrenching party to install them all in one day.

07JeepXK
09-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Does that mean you're going to take one set off my hands? :)

Unfortunately no. I think im going to buy a set of the JeepinByAl A-Arms with the H1 Hummer 3/4 ton GM replacable spicer ball joints. They are a little cheaper and will be easier to get replacement parts. Plus they are being made to help out camber issues with lifted XK's.

Doc in AZ
09-05-2010, 09:33 AM
with a solid back ground in offroad i would highly recommend these over the others - nothing personal to either manufacturer. the only reason the arms by al "help out the camber issues" is because they have clocked the ball joint to not bind in a lifted position but these have a heim joint with misalignment spacers which will allow more travel than a ball joint in all directions. at the frame end the arms by al use a stand bushing from jeep that is readily available from a dealership or an aftermarket jeep supplier, but arms these use a bushing that can be found anywhere, it's a very commone leaf spring bushing with steel insert. when i build heavy duty components like long arm suspension systems or full cross-over steering i eliminate all ball joints and tie rod ends and use heims. if these were my product i would change only one thing. i would eliminate the zerk fitting as people will put a standard moly type grease in there, but bushings like this should have a synthetic grease instead. i use a synthetic grease like the "super lube" brand on bushing that will never be serviced due to location. the synthetic grease lasts long because it doesn't break down like a standard "dinosaur" type grease, it also prevents squeeks much better.

bruijr
09-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Thought I would give you a bump on these and see how many you have left for sale! Maybe the Arizona guys want to pick some up and do a wrenching party to install them all in one day.

Jon, thanks for the bump. At this moment three sets have been sold. Two sets in the US and one set in Australia. I expect 3 more sets in the coming two weeks. Depending on sales there will be more after that.

These UCA's are designed with the same (standard) hardware that is used for the UCA's on Tacoma's and simulair pick-up trucks used in desert racing. They are very strong and have indeed more travel than a ball joint in all directions.

Phunkeydude
09-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I highly recommend these. They held up to some serious abuse on the trails when I trail tested the prototypes. Doc is correct...I chose the design to have a heim joint so there would end up being more travel than a ball joint and being an expert at ripping apart ball joints, I never wanted to deal with that again on a trail ride. ;)

07JeepXK
09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I highly recommend these. They held up to some serious abuse on the trails when I trail tested the prototypes. Doc is correct...I chose the design to have a heim joint so there would end up being more travel than a ball joint and being an expert at ripping apart ball joints, I never wanted to deal with that again on a trail ride. ;)

When you had yours did they make all kinds of squeeking noises? I heard a few members with them had that problem.

wahoowahgator
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I am on the fence also,
couple of questions;
Where can you get spare helm joints?
Did you have any problems with getting an alignment?

bruijr
09-06-2010, 12:59 PM
These HD UCA's don't have heim joints. Heim Joints are spherical bearings with an integrated rod end. That's why heim joints are regularly also called "rod ends" . The bearings used are plain spherical bearings with a PTFE liner. This means that there is a teflon coated fabric in between the housing and the ball. No lubrication is required for this bearing and they are very easy to replace. These bearings are for sale all over the internet at several offroad racing stores. I have located a manufacturer and thru their distrubutor I can get the bearings and missalignments bushings. Also the poly spacers, bushings and pins can be replaced. I can get these from HM Engineering at any time. In short, all parts can be replaced and I can get those at any time.

I still have to install the UCA's on my XK but what I know from other members who has them, the alignment is not an issue. Best is to install the UCA's together with a lift so you do the alignment at one time. Since most of the members already have the lift installed you'll might have to get an extra alignment performed. This you also have to do if you install other upgrade UCA's.

Tom, did you do a new alignment on your XK once you had installed these?

07JeepXK
09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
So basically both units are totally rebuildable, the only difference is one uses a normal spicer ball joint and one uses a uni-ball.

bruijr
09-06-2010, 09:29 PM
So basically both units are totally rebuildable, the only difference is one uses a normal spicer ball joint and one uses a uni-ball.

Correct.

The result of this difference is that the HD UCA's from HM Engineering can be used for every lift available. The UCA's with the spicer ball joint can only be used with a lift for were the UCA's angle is corrected for.

This is a statement placed on an other forum on the exact same UCA's:

"Poly bushing are overated IMHO. First off they are the same bushing that are in your stock arms, which means wide availability.
Secondly they take out some road impact and don't require special grease like most poly bushings do.

Right now these are based a 2.5" lift geometry (over stock). This pretty much covers everyone except for the 4" Superlift (and equivalent) guys, since they are designed to run stock geometry arms.

Those as well as ones for stock/lowered WK/XK's will be on there way".

In other words stock / 4" lift require a different set of arms than the 2" lift. This is only because of the limited travel of the spicer ball joint.
Also, the poly bushings might be overrated but I do have read in several threads (on other forums) that the UCA bushings are worn / damaged on XK's and WK's. IMHO, better overrated. This means that they are probably don't have to be replaced at all.

Since the HM Engineering UCA's are designed with desert racing /experience in mind they might be overrated. Personally, I don't mind that at all, especially not on a critical part like this one.

07JeepXK
09-07-2010, 07:33 AM
My main concern is alignment issues. I'm about to spend another grand on a new set of tires and hate to have the outter treads wear like the last set due to not being able to align it properly.

txbajacommander
01-29-2011, 08:16 AM
439 440

I bought one of the sets from bruijr. It took me a couple months to get them installed, but they made a big difference. I believe my stock ones were wearing out. I am at 93k on mine. The do squeak a little, I'll try Doc's suggestion from a few posts up.

Sal-XK
01-29-2011, 09:09 AM
WOW what a diff in the angel man. Your on the six inch lift correct?

txbajacommander
01-30-2011, 07:43 AM
WOW what a diff in the angel man. Your on the six inch lift correct?yeah, I have the stacked lift. I realy like the HD UCA's. Would like to see a set of JBA's installed.

Sal-XK
01-30-2011, 08:23 AM
The JBA's would even be less of an angle because they correct a little for the lift. This will be a must have upgrade for anyone lifting the XK over the 2" lift. If it straightened your 6" lift out little it would be solid on the 4" lifts. not sure if you have posted it already but a shot of your CV angle would be cool.

txbajacommander
01-30-2011, 09:41 AM
The JBA's would even be less of an angle because they correct a little for the lift. This will be a must have upgrade for anyone lifting the XK over the 2" lift. If it straightened your 6" lift out little it would be solid on the 4" lifts. not sure if you have posted it already but a shot of your CV angle would be cool. I'll run out, and take a shot and post it. Remember mine's 2wd.

Sal-XK
01-30-2011, 01:13 PM
442441 I'll run out, and take a shot and post it. Remember mine's 2wd.

I keep forgetting that but no big deal bro. The tie rod will sit at the same angel as the CV axle would I think so we can all still get a good idea. Thanks for posting up your pics man no matter what options you have 6" lift is still bad a**