PDA

View Full Version : Dupli-Color Perfect Match Paint

Matt
10-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Has anyone used this stuff before?

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/perfectMatch/

My front bumper is looking kind of beat/discolored. I was thinking of trying this to freshen it up. If it works well then I'd probably use it when i get steel bumpers as well.

hoaxci5
10-07-2012, 06:58 AM
My buddy who does paint correction and high end detailing uses http://drcolorchip.com/ for all his touchup paint orders.

oleblue27
10-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Have you tried the dealer? Idk how many things you need to touch up but I got a tube from the dealer for really cheap and it's a perfect match

oleblue27
10-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Sorry isn't realize you we're gona be doing the whole bumper

Matt
10-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Yeah im basically looking for something to do big areas, like complete bumpers. I already have one of the touch-up bottles from the dealer which is OK for small scratches.

06JeepXKHEMI
10-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Its going to be very difficult on a white XK especially since you're not as OCD about it as I am, not criticzing but it if you were to paint your bumpers, they would be a diffrerent color than your whole XK, unless you did a complete clay, compound buff polish and wax with it. Also a cheaper way to go is buy compound and do it yourself. If you want Ill walk you thru the steps, it would save you $$$ but take some time and elbow grease.

Matt
10-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Yeah i wax it twice a year but never took clay bar or compound to it. When i get steal bumpers I've also thought about not trying to match them perfectly and going with more of a matte; something easier to touch up.

06JeepXKHEMI
10-08-2012, 05:56 AM
If you plan on swapping bumpers, dont waste the $$$ on paint, if you were to clay and.or compound bumpers you'd notice a world of difference. Its pretty easy to do and will bring out the white again. If you were to do the whole XK, it would look brand new just be prepared to spend a better half of a day putting some TLC and elbow grease. If you want Ill do a write up with video on the steps to show how to do it, again its pretty easy just time consuming.
When it comes to the matte bumpers, I think itd look great and you have it easier being a white XK the matte bumpers will fit right on it.

Matt
10-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Swapping bumpers may be a ways off.... so would definitely appreciate a how to. My front is in really bad shape.

06JeepXKHEMI
10-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Ok no problem, Ill do a write up this week. I have to get down to the parts store to see what is available for compound so I can recommend which to buy. Ill do a compound scratch removal video at the same time then a clay bar video with wax write after. Keep in mind steps will be wash, clay, compound then wax.

madrock
10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
I get my spray touch up paint from this vendor. It is a bit more pricey, but the quality is good:

http://myworld.ebay.com/spraycansunlimited?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

The_War_Wagon
10-09-2012, 04:57 AM
The silver ain't bad - I've sprayed the flares around the rear door, because they've caught a lot of road debris over the years, and it touches up very nicely!

NeilSmith
10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
My jobber can mix your paint code in the same basecoat paint that a shop would use and then put it in a spray can . Maybe you can try that route. Check the phone book for a DuPont paint supply store or the like. What we should really do is have a huge wrenching party and I could show all you guys how to repair, paint, and buff out your whole rig. :)

Matt
11-25-2012, 05:36 AM
I think my best "quick" option would be to get some of the etching primer, paint the whole thing with that... and then get some white matte primer and paint it white with that. My theory is if I'm going to paint it white, why not use white primer and then later on if I decide to paint it something else, it's already primer'd. Thoughts?

Or should I try a gloss white top coat to help it blend a little more with the paint? I'm afraid of trying to hard to make it blend, so then it looks weird.

Also, after i do the rear bumper I'm thinking it would be a good idea to take the front bumper off and paint it the same to help distribute the look so it's a bit more "complete". May also cut up the front bumper during this as well...

Matt
04-26-2013, 09:33 AM
So I got word that my rear bumper might actually be getting produced soon :cool:

....now i'm back on thinking about how to paint it.

The clear coat is what brings out the gloss/smoothness in the paint finish correct? I'm back to thinking about getting the duplicolor perfect-match spray and not clear coating it; so it'll be a matte finish of my existing paint color code; kind of like how people get line-x their fenders/bumpers and mix in the matching paint colors- it's the same color, just not shiny.

Plan would be:
1) add swirl marks to metal surface with steel wool
2) clean with grease-remover that doesn't leave residue
3) self etching primer
4) Duplicolor stone white (my paint color) spray

Total cost would be ~$60 (and that's ordering a case of 6 8oz cans of the duplicolor)

06JeepXKHEMI
04-28-2013, 12:41 PM
The clear does give it the gloss but it also acts as a sealant to protection it from surface rust and pitting. If I were you, I'd get a matte clear coat so it will give you the looks but still protect the paint.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Matt
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Never thought of a matte clear coat... I'll give that a shot.

06JeepXKHEMI
04-29-2013, 07:07 AM
You may want to look into automotivetouchup.com, Ive used their paints for temporary fixes on bumpers and what not on my previous 240sx and will be using them again for this one until I can swing a full respray. I was sent to them by some guys on the forums, the blue emerald paint is very difficult to match and this spray can stuff is damn close.

Matt
04-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Just checked them out.... they're more than twice as much for the paint. Im gonna stick with duplicolor since im going matte so im not concerned with having an identical match. I just think different shades of white would look worse than the same shade offset by gloss/matte.

06JeepXKHEMI
04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
They are a little pricey just wanted to give you some insight on my experience with rattle can paint for cars. Ive never used the duplicolor and since they dont offer the color code I need I cant go thru it. I am curious as to how it turns out. Im sure you know what youre doing haha just spend the extra time on prep, working at the body shop taught me prep is the most important part of it.. If you need help with wet-sanding or buffing or anything let me know..

Matt
04-30-2013, 05:05 AM
Will do man, thanks!

And yeah..... prep & patience are key. Ive ruined good prep work by being impatient and either painting in non ideal conditions (low temp or high humidity) or going way too thick with my coats.

06JeepXKHEMI
04-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Yea i hear that! sometimes you just want the job done and you end up kicking yourself cause now it takes you twice as long!! Ill be doing lost of updates on my 240sx since it was some rust on the rocker panels and quarters, so Ill do my best to document things here for prep, painting and finishing to help everyone thats interested. I only wish I knew how to weld, Ive been contemplating buying one and learning on my own..

Matt
04-30-2013, 05:52 AM
Thats the best way to learn. As soon as I build a shed I plan on getting a mig again (dont have any storage right now). Planning on building a shed this summer and hopefully a welder & plasma cutter by next winter so I can play/practice.