PDA

View Full Version : Commander Front Drive Shaft

Fondy
10-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi all,

On the weekend I noticed a vibration coming from under the car at high speeds when accelerating and a clicking sound at low speeds. When I got home I traced it back to a split CV boot which allowed the grease to get out and the dirt in on the Front Drive shaft CV at the transfer case end.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so did you just replace the CV or the entire shaft? And where did you get the replacement parts from?

Also my Commander is an 06 and I remember reading somewhere that the front drive shaft changed on the 07 or 08, why was it changed and if it is a stronger/better option, how hard is it to upgrade the 06 to the 08? And which set-up would be best suited for the 4" Superlift that I plan to do in the future.

And finally (sorry about all the questions) can you remove the front drive shaft and continue to drive the car RWD only when you have QDII?

Cheers

Matt
10-09-2012, 01:09 AM
There is a rebuild kit:
http://www.am-autoparts.com/Jeep/Commander/Drivetrain/AM-30303764/504818.html

I just ordered a new driveshaft because my front CV lost all its grease a while ago. New driveshaft was $265 shipped.

Not sure if the yoke was changed in 07+ so you're better off with an OEM replacement for your model year.

Matt
10-09-2012, 01:11 AM
And finally (sorry about all the questions) can you remove the front drive shaft and continue to drive the car RWD only when you have QDII?

Negative. You need the front driveshaft in.

valpacer
11-18-2012, 04:03 AM
I have had a new front drive shaft made up with a double cardan at the transfer case end instead of the CV end. I had my driveline guy take a look and on the CRD models the shorter front shaft means the CV end is so close to the travel limit of the CV it will likely fail (as mine did twice). Not an issue for the petrol fellas as the front drive shafts are longer.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/11/DSC_0371-1.jpg

07JeepXK
11-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Why would there be a difference in front drive shaft lengths? We use the same tranny, transfer case and front diff. Would it be the same difference from the transfer case to the front diff?

valpacer
11-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Diesel motor is shorter, has a shorter front shaft and longer rear shaft than the v8's. Tranny and transfer are about 2" closer to the front.

Dave

Sent from my toilet.

07JeepXK
11-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Ahh I see. I always figured the transmission would sit in the same spot but the motor if smaller would sit back farther under the good leaving more room between the front of engine and radiator