PDA

View Full Version : Ipod interface?

duneslider
10-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Hey Guys,
I was just reading all your post about how the forum has been dead lately. I have noticed too. You all do seem like a tight knit group.

I have had the commander now for a month or so. I want to hook the ipod up for tunes but need to know what cable I need. I have the RER nav unit. There is the plug in the glove but the cable that plugs into it and then to the ipod is not here. I have searched but can't find what cable I need. I have found a cable that is like 90 bucks but it includes the cable that goes to the back of the stereo which I already have since the cable is in the glove box.

If it really will cost me 90 I may as well just spend a bit more and get the lockpick. I was hoping for a 10-15 dollar cable.

hoaxci5
10-26-2012, 12:29 PM
What does the plug look like in the glove box? (picture might be helpful)

I use a device that gives me a generic headphone style aux input which took the place of my sat radio input.

duneslider
10-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I will take a picture. Its basically a square plug. Apparently, the cable I need has the matching square plug on one end and the ipod connector on the other. This will supposedly allow me to control the ipod with the nav stereo. (2010 Commander limited)

hoaxci5
10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
It's just the standard ipod interface? Like it has a docking station in the glove box?

hoaxci5
10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.leeparts.com/jeep_commander/accessories/audio/ipod_interface_cable_for_uconnect_gps_radio.html
http://www.leeparts.com/jeep_commander/accessories/audio/3g_iphone_ipod_integration_harness.html

Maybe?

duneslider
10-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Apparently, the manual says you plug the connector into the plug in the glove box. There is a plug in the glove box with nothing connected to it right now. Apparently, this cable plugs into it and then the other end is the standard ipod connector. I have been able to find very little info about this setup though. So, yes it should basically have an ipod docking station in the glove box. It should allow full control of the ipod at the head unit and charge the ipod.

That first one you listed has the cable I need but I don't need the other part. I only need the part with the ipod connector. I certainly don't want to spend 90 for a cable either. I haven't been able to find those cables separated out though. Was hoping someone knows if there is one.

hoaxci5
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
By the looks of the cable in the first link it's all one deal and it's going to be very proprietary so you most likely out of luck unless you stumble across a used one.

duneslider
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
That's what I am afraid of, the cable for the REN is very similar looking but you can buy just the ipod portion. (thats the other one you have listed) I haven't even been able to find anyone who has this option to see if I am on the right track. I may have to try the dealer next time I am over that way.

JumpmasterRT
11-04-2012, 07:32 AM
I had the same issue in my WK. It's an easy install but you have to buy the Mopar part.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

duneslider
05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
I did end up getting the correct cable. I will see if I can track down the part number. I ended up talking to the parts guy at the dealer and he said it was one of two options, he ordered both in and I took them out and plugged the correct one in to make sure it worked. I ended up leaving the box on the counter after I paid since I didn't really need the box but that is where the part number was.

1USMC
05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the update ! If you can get and post the part number it would be appreciated by all !

lekmedm
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
For those who don't have bluetooth or iPod or aux in connections, you might want to investigate the Parrot MKi9200 (http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits). It will give you all of that good stuff.

Edit: You can get specific harnesses to make the install plug-and-play. I think for the '06 and '07 XKs you need the QCChJ-1R and '08 and up it's QCChJ-2R. I put a similar setup like this into my wife's Subaru, and It works great!