PDA

View Full Version : NJ Relief

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 06:10 AM
I thought Id post this up to see if anyone else is interested... Me and a few friends will be making a trip to NJ, not sure which part yet, next Saturday the 10th will food, water etc.. I know there isnt anyone in the area but I think its a good idea for anyone who can help. Itd be nice to have the forum represented in the relief, even if in different places. Anyone who is interested let me know maybe we can meet in one spot to help out..

stites-xk
11-01-2012, 06:15 AM
If i was a lot closer i would be there!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Matt
11-01-2012, 06:20 AM
That's a cool idea.

One piece of advice, make sure you fill up with gas before NJ. The closer you get to the shore the less stations are open (and ones that open have 2-3 hour lines). Though hopefully by next weekend most of the towns are up and running again and just the shore line will need assistance.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 06:24 AM
WE are trying to get there earlier but no one has off work and no bosses are allowing people off which I think its pathetic but I guess anything/anytime can help.. I plan on filling up before and will most likely have a trailer so I may hide a few gallons just incase.. Matt whats your zip?

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
And glad to hear you're ok man, sent you cpl texts.. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out

Matt
11-01-2012, 06:34 AM
08527. If you Google it, I'm in the northeast corner on the zone.

Matt
11-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Phone service was horrible. I could get texts but it would take ~10 tries to send one.

Appreciate the thoughts though!

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Ok im gonna see where we are headed, dont think we have that planned out yet.. What type of things do you know besides food and water that would be good to bring?

Matt
11-01-2012, 06:47 AM
That's pretty much key. A lot of people in shelters right now so food & water are big.

I posted something on the grass roots forum to see if Tom can set up a collection for the Jeep show next Saturday. Figure since state police will already be collecting toys for tots I'm sure they wouldn't mind sending a 2nd truck for food/water donations as well.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Alright, I know its me, one pick up with trailer and possibly another truck coming. One of the girls is setting up a collection at her job so we should have a decent amount to bring

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 07:21 AM
I think the plan of attack is the group splitting up, they are headed South NJ and Im going to hit north NJ. Would like to come by your area Matt and get some things out to you guys and that area..

Matt
11-01-2012, 07:36 AM
This is a good start for planning.

http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/use/www_use_nj.nsf/vw-sublinks/DCBEE7C583ADF0308525785400521BEF?openDocument

Most important this is knowing "where" to go to bring supplies. They'll also have more info on the types of supplies needed.

Also just got an email at work; American Red Cross is in dire need of blood donations.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Matt Id like to coordinate with you for northern NJ if you can as Ill be in that area. Ill keep checking that link for updates but could use some local help if at all possible..

Matt
11-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm more in the dark than you are since I have no internet or phone at home. I'm just able to look stuff up at work now.

I would make some calls to Red Cross and Salvation Army to get direction from them; drop off points, supplies they need, etc.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Ok cool thanks man

Matt
11-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Just got another email at work. The Red Cross is volunteer centers where people don't need to bring anything except themselves and work clothes; then volunteers Will lend a helping hand running shelters, clearing debris, etc.

lekmedm
11-01-2012, 11:23 AM
From what I'm gathering, more people need generators and clean up equipment. I just took a generator down to Sea Girt yesterday. What a war zone!

If anyone in Jersey is in need, the Camp Out on Rt. 173 near Jugtown had a bunch and may be getting more. They may still have some 20lb. propane tanks, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Core XK
11-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I donated money today because I felt useless as I was not really affected. My fiance and I are going down to her families homes in NJ to help this weekend. I am glad you and the family are okay.

Matt
11-01-2012, 05:52 PM
My power just came back on late this afternoon. So I had a coworker come by and we loaded my generator in his truck so him and his wife can heat their house and take warm showers again finally.

Core XK
11-01-2012, 06:12 PM
My power just came back on late this afternoon. So I had a coworker come by and we loaded my generator in his truck so him and his wife can heat their house and take warm showers again finally.

Glad your power is restored. My moms still out of power and shes in souderton, PA

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

07JeepXK
11-02-2012, 06:40 AM
I just sent out Soldiers from my unit to help out near NYC!

06JeepXKHEMI
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
So guys this trip is getting to be quite the big deal in my area, my friend who is organizing everything will be on the 6pm local news to get people to donate items and has opened a storage unit to fill with all the donations. As of right now I believe its me and 3 trucks headed down with donations and I called Red Cross about going out and helping people clear the damage and even trying to let me transport people and items in the XK!! Would be nice if we could get a forum thing going...

Matt
11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Damn man That's awesome. Did Red Cross give you any idea where to go or any direction? They're getting pretty serious in some of the towns near the shore and not allowing anyone to enter who isn't a resident.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Well as you said Red Cross need volunteers, so my idea witha buddy of mine is to drive down to where ever they need with supplies and start working for the day. They said to call next week to see what and where, but if I can help transport people/supplies Ill definitely be up for that. Someone of JF.com mentioned a Hummer club that works with RC to help transport, I think we should look into this as a Club, its a great way to give back and promote us as not just gear heads..

Matt
11-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Depending on when you're coming down I may be able to help. During the week will be tough with work... have a lot of catch-up to do from time lost this week.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
We are leaving early Saturday morning the 10th..

mrnavy2
11-03-2012, 07:39 AM
My power finally came back on around 10PM last night.. Thank God.. I was getting pretty cold at night.. Turned on the Heat and took a very nice warm shower.. Now to get my XK Running...

06JeepXKHEMI
11-03-2012, 07:41 AM
My power finally came back on around 10PM last night.. Thank God.. I was getting pretty cold at night.. Turned on the Heat and took a very nice warm shower.. Now to get my XK Running...

Good to hear!!! whats wrong with the XK, something caused by storm?

mrnavy2
11-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Good to hear!!! whats wrong with the XK, something caused by storm?
Nothing to do with the storm but it will not start just before the storm. I will climb under there tommorrow and check the Starter Harness.

Sal-XK
11-03-2012, 06:03 PM
My company put as many drivers as we could spare to run supplies east. We put so many drivers on it were having troubles covering our other customers. I'm running safety gear and protective clothing east right now. Don't have a lot of time to get on here right now I'm running pretty hard I should be sleeping right now LOL. I had to go all the way to northern IL for this stuff. I'm taking it to eastern PA then handing it off we have drivers staged to take the loads the rest of the way in so drivers like me can burn back west to get more and head back east again. I hope everything works out for all you guys over there were thinking of you guys.

Matt
11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Driving home today, coming across Route 195 (highway that goes directly across center of the state) my wife and i were playing a game.... seeing if we could identify the license plates of all the utility trucks we were passing.

It was a VERY humbling feeling seeing utility trucks from Indiana, Kentucky and even a few from Texas heading East in our state to do work and help rebuild peoples infrastructure.

Core XK
11-03-2012, 06:13 PM
That's awesome man, we run into so many assholes during the course of a given week; but there still are a great number of really good people out there.

Sal-XK
11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
That's awesome man, we run into so many assholes during the course of a given week; but there still are a great number of really good people out there.

I've been hauling balls LOL to get east as fast as possible. I was even running at the shippers instead of walking and cut my bathroom stops in half I'm pretty dehydrated right now LMAO. I even ate my lunch while walking back to the truck. There are a lot of us doing what we can to resupply the east coast but it's going to take time. With so much wiped out the amount of cargo that needs to go east is mind boggling. The government could help speed things up but they would have to suspend some of the laws we operate under but I don't see that happening. I know NJ suspended the fuel truck tax and register so they could move faster. but that only helps with fuel. It does nothing for everything else that's needed like food and water generators what have you.

Core XK
11-03-2012, 07:06 PM
That's awesome though man! and yes I do not see them suspending the laws unfortunately :/

It is nice to see so many people coming together to help.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Well guys I thought Id report on my adventure Saturday, a full 24 hrs we worked and gave out supplies. It was very difficult to see what these people are going thru. The people couldnt have been any more grateful giving us hugs and thanks because they arent getting any help. Red Cross and FEMA are bull****, they arent helping at all. These poor people lost everything and absolutely no govt aid is at hand. Its heartbreaking to hear the stories I did and see the things we saw. We have a great contact with people who are running relief efforts and will continue to help as much as we can. We plan another trip after Thanksgiving as these people need it. the devastation wass abosultely breathe taking in the worst way and no one is hearing about it on the news. We as citizens and Americans must help these people! They are arming themselves from looters, writing on their houses "If you loot we will shoot". They have no power so at night these scum go out and steal from already hurting people. Its abosultey sickening to think what our govt gives away to other countries during disasters but they cant even help their own. excuse me if I seem bitter but its pissing me off. the local PD is overwhelmed. there has to be more prescense and I will continue to spread the word any way possible. Please help anyway you can. I will post a link to our donation page. We are taking monetary donations we can buy supplies the people are telling us they need. There has to been more our own govt can do. Anyone whose supported our president saying he's for the people, well where the hell is he at?!?! Guys again Im sorry for the rant, but what I saw has changed me forever, Im not preaching just want people to know what reaity is and what the news will not show...

LWM
11-12-2012, 07:48 AM
It was just like that when I worked disaster relief in San Fransisco. Disasters bring out the best in some people and the worse in others.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Its just really sad. some of the looters have no reason to be there, they are targeting generators. One lady we met has 6 families, 60 people in her home. There was a group of 50 russians that we going thru the nieghborhood looting homes and taking generators, luckily one of the families is a cop and started firing at them to get them to leave, absolutely heartbreaking!! I just wish our govt would do more, its ridiculous what we do for other countries and cant even help our own! Its not the local PDs fault, they are doing everything they can and were great to deal with, kudos to those men and women!! We just need more help. Heres a video of the damage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n18jw3sFd4&sns=fb

06JeepXKHEMI
11-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Here is our donation link. We will be updating for the next trip. Anything that anyone can do is appreciated and is going to a great cause!
http://www.lgig.us/thank-you/

Matt
11-12-2012, 09:32 AM
You're a stand up guy for the work you're doing!

It's amazing how devastating this storm was. While ripping sheetrock/insulation/etc out of my friends house this past weekend, and loading ALL of their personal belongings (kids pictures/toys/clothes/etc/etc) into a garbage truck, there was still a feeling of "relief" that the house was on its foundation and they could start rebuilding. It kind of puts it in perspective how much people have lost when what would've seemed to be a horrible thing to have to do (think about throwing out everything you own right now), but to have a sense of serene and "thankfulness", like they were the lucky ones.....

06JeepXKHEMI
11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Matt, I hear ya man, many people are just thankful to still have a home and thats what is heartbreaking! I couldnt imagine having to go through and toss everything you own. Im glad to hear their house is salvageable and commend you for lending a helping hand. Its a humbling experience to see what weve seen and talked to the people. It was hard to keep composure when people you dont know are huggin and thanking you just for brnging bare necessities and listening to their story, sometimes I guess thats all people need. Im more grateful than ever to have the means to help and was shocked at the amount of volunteers from around the country that we met. I was even more shocked to see the lack of govt support, its irritating and absolutely angers me the news isnt covering these areas as they should..

pjmjr508
11-12-2012, 03:01 PM
06Jeepxkhemi your doing great work. It's just to bad that there isn't the govt support that needs to be there. I thought it was already listed as an state of emergency so I would have thought FEMA was already out there.

stites-xk
11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I must compliment you good sir! I really loike what your doing for everybody!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

06JeepXKHEMI
11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
We have a lot more planned!! Meetings all this week with local businesses and we are doing a lot more and once I have details I will let everyone know. And thank you but honestly its the least I can do in my spare time for these people. FEMA does have a location which took us 45 mins to get to from the hard hit areas, but what good does that do for the people who have no cars? There was no armed forces out there which really surprised me with all the looting going on as local PD are waaaaay overwhelmed and doing a hell of a job as is, they just need more support. Im shocked the news isnt covering this but still talking about this election and other useless information while Staten Island and NJ are suffering. Its truely sad and makes me EXTREMELY disappointed in our govt, its agencies, our president or lack their of and the governor of NY Coumo.

lekmedm
11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Hey Andrew, where abouts in Jersey did you go? Which town(s)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

06JeepXKHEMI
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
We only got to Toms River as it was pretty late by the time we got to Jersey. Staten Island took alot of time and took awhile to get from SI to Jersey